Anyone broken an 8.8 carrier with a Lock Right or No Slip? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anyone broken an 8.8 carrier with a Lock Right or No Slip?

chadjans

Reaction score
City, State
Tucson, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
Just as the subject says: has anyone broken a 8.8 with a lock right or no slip locker?

I want to run one with my open carried 8.8 with 31 spline axle shafts and a 7/8 cross pin. I have "heard" that the carrier may be a weak link. What do you guys think?

Thanks a million!

Chad

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What sized tire are you running?

Chad

I've run 33in M/T's 33in boggers and currently rollin on 33 a/t's

Ive heard the carrier is a weak linkas well. i know rick has broken atleast one carrier with a powertrax but he wouldnt tell me the details. :) Though the guy i bought my powertrax off of had a 8.8 in his jeep. He jumped it and instead of the carrier breaking he busted the splines off both axle shafts.

Lots of wheeling on 295/75r16 (33.5"), now on 35" MTRs, haven't broken my NoSlip.

Originally posted by Namitey
Ive heard the carrier is a weak linkas well. i know rick has broken atleast one carrier with a powertrax but he wouldnt tell me the details. :) Though the guy i bought my powertrax off of had a 8.8 in his jeep. He jumped it and instead of the carrier breaking he busted the splines off both axle shafts.

Sure about that? I thought rick always has had an ARB, but once broke a pinion gear in his 8.8

That is correct. Rick runs ARBs, not Powertrax. At least since I've know him. I think he's always used the ARB. If he used a Powertrax, it would have been a very long time ago.

I broke my front diff carrier. It was a Ford factory limited slip unit. Sheared the carrier in half. I have heard of that happening with Powertrax lockers, but haven't heard from anyone on this site who has had it happen.

Back