Anyone bypass the AIC Y shaped hose ?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anyone bypass the AIC Y shaped hose ??

vapester

Reaction score
City, State
Harbor City, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer Sport SOHC
1998 Explorer Sport 4.0 SOHC

I noticed I had a small tear in my Air Intake Control hose, so I went to Ford but they don't sell just the Y or T type hose, only the whole set for $180which is a plactic tube that goes from the air duct to the Y hose where one end goes into the AIC and the other end goes into a small tube about 8-9 inches long that just dead ends and is capped off. It doesn't seem it has any use, maybe an option that wasn't being used? The Ford mechanic said I should be fine bypassing it. So I got a hose to go from the tube right into the AIC. Hopefully it will be fine. Anyone else deal with this? Maybe it's a California car thing ??

It's not a California car thing... While I had mine off doing the 00M12 installation last week, I noticed the same thing. It's definitely odd... probably has something to do with the resonance or something like that. I'm sure it's there for a reason.

I would replace the whole thing with one from a salvage yard. You may need to purchase a whole manifold, but the ones I've seen on www.car-part.com were only around $40. I know where I can find one tomorrow, already taken off if you need it... They guy would probably take $40 for it. (I took it off myself, so I know it's in good shape)

-Joe

Back