anyone done a 4link in a first gen? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

anyone done a 4link in a first gen?

Well i'm going to do a 4link in the front (and possibly back also) in my '91 explorer, along with a 9"/d44 axle swap. has anybody else done a 4link? if so some tips or pictures would be awesome.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Definately do a build thread. :thumbsup: Hell, start posting it here in this thread. I can re-name it if you want.

Alright, i turned cut off the exhaust just past the manifolds, and flipped the drivers side manifold up-side down a few days ago, and today made the piping (and a Y collector) into the flange for the turbo, and made up some pieces for the air to the MAF, throttle body etc. I haven't taken any pictures yet but i'll take my camera out there with me on wednesday (or next weekend) when i can do some more work, and take some pics.

as for the axles, today i scored a 1990 ford 1-ton diesel w/ a dana 60 in the front... so if i part out that truck it will be very tempting to use that dana 60 in the explorer. (speaking of parting it out, anybody interested in a 7.3L diesel w/ a ZF5 transmission and transfer case? runs perfectly) I may fix up the diesel truck (replace fenders, bumpers, paint, etc) and sell it to help pay for the explorer project though... either way, more money or parts for the explorer! :thumbsup:

i am seriously thinking of using a bronco/f150 TTB front end in it though, because of the added upward travel (plus i like TTB) but a dana 60... also a sweet choice!!! i should do a poll or something.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well just an update, but today after work i swung by and installed the oil fittings on the turbo, and hooked up the intake pipes. started 'er up and gave it a rev. the turbo whistled back at me which was very encouraging! i still have to set up the turbos oil drain though (it was draining into a bucket for testing) extend the wires for the o2 sensor to the new location, and get some hose clamps before i can do a road test (hopefully in the next few days) no pictures yet, I'll take some tomorrow for sure though! even if they're just cell phone pictures.

Alright since this is turning into a build thread, here are the pics as promised.

from the front, and yes.. i'm going to have to "modify" the hood some.
PICT0064.jpg

from the side
PICT0065.jpg

here's the collector/turbo flange with the bung for the O2 sensor
PICT0066.jpg

from the passenger side
PICT0067.jpg

here's the crossover pipe (view from the bottom) i tried to keep it under the oil pan so that when i blow the engine it is easily removed for rebuilding (and modifying) the turbo piping and manifolds should be able to stay in one piece on the engine when it comes out.
PICT0068.jpg

and here's a view straight down from the top
PICT0070.jpg

Is anyone interested in this thread or am i just posting and nobody is looking?

well today i did some test driving of it, for the first time. i let it run up to about 10psi, but it didn't run good at all. as soon as the boost starts to hit and/or the rpm's are above about 2500, it starts to run rough and crappy and seems pretty gutless. so i'm not sure the reason here. anybody have any ideas on that? i read a thread on here where someone else boosted a 4.0ohv upto about 7 or 8 psi and it worked fine with everything else stock (and i think he was even open loop, i've even got the o2 sensor hooked up, although it's the stock warn out one)

here's the video

so seriously, is anyone reading this thread because if i'm just doing this for my own entertainment then this will be the last post.

dont know alot about turbos, but i bet the fuel map will be off.

I have a few pics of a ranger i saw couple weekends ago with triangulated 4 link with coil over, i took a few pics ill try to upload them at some point, it was pretty massive in size.

Yes, if you go tall enough you can run pretty much any kind of suspension, but i dont want to go REALLY high (and roll happy) so i'll probably have to go with a stock arrangment. i'm not leaning towards full size bronco TTB.

there's a fuel map with MAF?

10psi with everything stock- im betting it was running very lean.

10psi with everything stock- im betting it was running very lean.

it was definitely running lean. it started sounding lean as soon as it hit about 2 psi (as soon as the turbo spooled) my question is how to make it run richer as the boost comes on. it seems that if i just did huge injectors, it would be running too rich all the time, except when the boost was on etc.

i think you will need a chip to tune it. and get the timing right.

i think you will need a chip to tune it. and get the timing right.

where can i get a chip?

Could be the maf was pegged. The stock injectors probably didn't help.

would it be possible for 2psi of boost at 2500rpm to peg the MAF? i dont know for sure but it seemed unlikely i don't know. i'm going to try it open loop tomorrow.

always:)
and i think you could call jet chips (think thats the name) and ask them.

Back