Anyone else build tubular inner-fenders/core support? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anyone else build tubular inner-fenders/core support?

Has anyone here done away with their stamped steel, spot welded inner fenders/core support in favor of something tubular?

how did you do it?

E7666CDC-orig_zpsd9b624a8.jpg

3EE1AF6F-orig_zps5f2d0542.jpg

349B00F2-orig_zps280254fc.jpg

mine was a little unique because my rig is on a chevy full size frame, I also hybrid-ized the newer explorer front clip onto it.

DSC06012.jpg

Mine is tied into the roll cage. You can see where the DOM tubing in penetrating the firewall and then tied into the interior cage. In fact the cage goes from front bumper to rear bumper. I also incorporated a removable engine cage along with a removable radiator top support. This way if I want I can remove the radiator and do not have to raise the engine up other then an inch or two and then pull straight out.

DSC06094.jpg

Here you can see how it's tied into the front bumper.

DSC06077.jpg

Then junked anything plastic and made my own steel grill. Added round Hella lights. Only reason they're round is because they used to be mounted on the roof. Did not use them to look like a jeep or EB. Rather had rectangular ones to keep the looks of a B2.

DSC05807.jpg

This is all I got for inner fenders lol. All this work was done before it went all Black.
Now that I've gone 40" IROKs there is going to be some major work on the rear wheelwells. Fronts fine.
The other benefit is the hood is completly removable with the pull of two pins.

eb8590e9-c32e-4fc1-ad1f-50fc06a99f13_zps4062871a.jpg

Then remove the removable fenders and talk about trail visibility. I can look right thru the engine compartment for a good line to run.

With removable fenders removed, the exo acts like fenders, well almost.

that is friggin' awesome, I was all set to do the exact same thing. with DOM and everything. But at the last minute I changed my mind

since I tied it to the firewall, I opted to build it to intentionally crumple in a collision (a decent collision is was started this anyway)

rather than transfer the force to the firewall and trash the cab.

I also am planning on a full exo cage anyway. so having any structural strength on the inner fenders was pointless.

but having them removable is pretty sweet. easy to work on

Back