anyone else have a leaking sunroof? 02 EB | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

anyone else have a leaking sunroof? 02 EB

dmac0923

Reaction score
City, State
Yorktown
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 ranger xlt
2002 EB 39,000 miles with a sun roof.

car is normally garaged so im not sure how long this has been an issue but the car recently had to be parked in the driveway while the garage was tied up for other vehicle repairs.

anyways it was a normal rainy day and when i went to move the car back in the garage, about a pint of water came down from the headliner onto my lap.

yes the sunroof was closed fully. upon further inspection i found water stains on the headliner as well so aparently it happens somewhat often.

i opened the sunroof in the garage to inspect the opening for debris but found nothing.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The sunroof isn't designed to be totally sealed. Check the drain tubes..they might be clogged. Typically there is a drain tube on each corner of the sunroof. The ones in the front run usually run down the A pillars but not sure where the rear ones on Explorers run.

i guess ill try taking some compressed air and shooting it down the drains.

i guess ill try taking some compressed air and shooting it down the drains.

Yup, that's exactly the way to fix it. Wrap some electrical tape around the end of your blowgun first, to give a decent seal on the drains. Should fix your problem.

You may want to test it after you blow them by pouring water into the sunroof channel while it is open, and making sure it drains down the corner drains. Make sure the truck is on level ground before you try this. If it doesn't drain, hit it again with the blow gun.

Leaky Sunroof

I have an 03 4 door Explorer with the same roof leak problem. I took off the headliner trim around the sunroof opening and in the rear I can see a white fitting on a black hose that leads toward the side of the car on both sides. One side is wet and the other is stained. I couldn't see anything forward but I assume there are two more. Where does the other end of the hoses exit the car? I want to try to clear them by blowing air through the tube from the outside if I can find the other ends.

I have an 03 4 door Explorer with the same roof leak problem. I took off the headliner trim around the sunroof opening and in the rear I can see a white fitting on a black hose that leads toward the side of the car on both sides. One side is wet and the other is stained. I couldn't see anything forward but I assume there are two more. Where does the other end of the hoses exit the car? I want to try to clear them by blowing air through the tube from the outside if I can find the other ends.

The hoses run down the A and B pillars, and terminate inside near the bottom of the body, allowing the water to drip out the bottom of the truck.

The best way to clear them is to blow them out from the top as described in this thread. Put the blowgun on the drain holes in the moonroof channel and blow the lines clear.

Back