anyone else have this prob. when warm outside | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

anyone else have this prob. when warm outside

Bryan Hartman

Reaction score
City, State
Columbus Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 xlt 4wd 4dr
When the temp. outside gets warm and we start my x 94 4.04wd, this thing shakes and the rpms are up and down like it is going to stall but does not. It clears up after you start to drive. I cant remember it happening once in the cold weather. The first couple of warm days and it starts to act up. I am thinking of replacing the fuel press. reg. but why only when warm. and cleaning the IAC Is there BAROMETRIC SENSOR on this vehicle?:(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

DOes it do it on cold startup or only after the truck was driven earlier in the day? mIne has similar symptoms sometimes when you start it when it is hot. I got a fuel injector flush at ford and it made the problem go away for a few months, but unfortunatly it came back. My dad thinks it's bad injectors on mine, so i might try replacing them this summer.
Also yes, the explorer has a barometric pressure sensor. Mine was bad and tripped a check engine light last fall. was very very easy to replace..don't pay ford $200+ to do it....

Yes it does it after it is warmed up and you are doing stop and go trips.

OK, you've got the same issue a bunch of us have. i will replace my injectors in May and let you all know.

I'm not sure if this is related, but I too had the warm start problem with mine. It would not start or was very hard and seemed to flood itself when warm.I tried everything and ended up being a bad temperature sensor, the one that goes to the computer. Haven't had a problem since I replaced it. And at around 10 bucks I think and did it myself, you might try it if you can't seem to figure it out.

Originally posted by Chris Jella'
I'm not sure if this is related, but I too had the warm start problem with mine. It would not start or was very hard and seemed to flood itself when warm.I tried everything and ended up being a bad temperature sensor, the one that goes to the computer. Haven't had a problem since I replaced it. And at around 10 bucks I think and did it myself, you might try it if you can't seem to figure it out.
You know what? My dad said he thinks it putters because it's getting too much fuel. He thought it was the fuel injectors leaking down when you turn off the truck, thus filling the cylenders with too much fuel and when you start it it pumps a rich mixture past the O2 sensors, which tell the computer to cut back on fuel, thus starving the engine of fuel. after that gas is burnt out then it runs fine. Thats his theory, but yours might be valid too, but if the temp. sender was bad wouldn;t the temp gauge in the car real wrong also? or are there 2 different sensors? i'm just trying to narrow it down.
tnaks

Originally posted by 95XLT

Thats his theory, but yours might be valid too, but if the temp. sender was bad wouldn;t the temp gauge in the car real wrong also? or are there 2 different sensors? i'm just trying to narrow it down.
tnaks

Yes there are 2 different sensors right beside each other behind the thermostat.

Hmmm..interesting...

Yes there are two. If you look at the motor the one on the left is the one for the gauge, located just above and behind the thermostat. The one the computer reads is to your right just below the right side of the throttle body, at least it is on mine. I also bought a Ford sensor, two places tried to sell me one made out of black plastic or nylon or whatever. Just doesn't seem like a chunk of plastic would conduct a good reading.
It solved my problem completely. Before, if it did start, it would shake and smelled of raw gas at the exhaust pipe. I don't remember now who suggested it, but it's cheaper than injectors!!

Originally posted by Chris Jella'
Yes there are two. If you look at the motor the one on the left is the one for the gauge, located just above and behind the thermostat. The one the computer reads is to your right just below the right side of the throttle body, at least it is on mine. I also bought a Ford sensor, two places tried to sell me one made out of black plastic or nylon or whatever. Just doesn't seem like a chunk of plastic would conduct a good reading.
It solved my problem completely. Before, if it did start, it would shake and smelled of raw gas at the exhaust pipe. I don't remember now who suggested it, but it's cheaper than injectors!!
Ok, i'll try that also. Thanks
I just wasn't sure what the temp. sensor would have to do with anything like the engine getting flooded, but i guess anything is possable in todays engines...

Also try cleaning the Mass Air Flow Sensor. This does wonders for overall perfomance.

Andy

Originally posted by Blaine122300
Also try cleaning the Mass Air Flow Sensor. This does wonders for overall perfomance.

Andy
I did the MAS and the TB also, both to no avail...I will let you know how it is after injectors and temp. sensor. I'll do it in may once i am off school.

Originally posted by 95XLT

Ok, i'll try that also. Thanks
I just wasn't sure what the temp. sensor would have to do with anything like the engine getting flooded, but i guess anything is possable in todays engines...

If the computer is getting a cold reading, then it will run the engine rich like at startup, even tho the engine is at normal operating temp.

how rough of an idle are we talking about here?

Like a REAL rough idle?

I have a rough idle that I haven't been able to troubleshoot yet.

Originally posted by Jason_25
how rough of an idle are we talking about here?

Like a REAL rough idle?

I have a rough idle that I haven't been able to troubleshoot yet.
Not REAL rough..just rough enough to simetimes stall if you have the A/C compressor on. Once you spike the gas pedal once or twice the rough idle goes away.

I wil replace the sensors sat. and see what happens. Yes when it does this the idle is REAL rough.My temp gauge is not working properly either so I will replace both sensors. I let you all know , thanks alot. Bryan H

Back