Anyone else have to live near an army base?! | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Anyone else have to live near an army base?!

Spas

Explorer addict
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
North East, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 Sport
Just curious if anyone else has the misfortune to live near an army or navy training/weapons/proving ground...

I happen to live near one of the largest stockpiles of Mustard gas in the US, and it just so happens to be on an enormous proving ground that trains soldiers, stockpiles weapons, and TESTS EQUIPMENT. A rather LARGE plane just buzzed my house at 500-1000 feet.....! Nothing like looking out the window to figure out what the he!! that extremely loud screaming noise is and catching the backdraft from 4 turbines at full tilt :eek:

Don't get me wrong, I love and appreciate our armed forces and am proud of the steps that America is taking against terrorism-but I don't need a scare like that!!! I imagine that thousands of people are frantically calling the local Sheriff's office and APG (Aberdeen Proving Ground) to report a "crashing plane"....if I hadn't read about the last scare they gave the populace just north of here by doing the same thing, I'd probably be calling it in too!

Anybody else get a good scare lately??

<

Join the Elite Explorers $20 Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

jimbo74

Elite Exploder
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Nor*Cal
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001, F150, XLT 4x4
i dont live near any.... but there are a bunch around here.... one of my teachers has to work on the other side of the airports chainlink fence.... really... he has to sleep there too.... it is fire station 6 in hayward.....

<

Explorer4u2c

Reaction score
City, State
Jacksonville, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer
We just have a bunch of Navy bases.... It's a daily routine to see planes flying all over.... allways get scared when a few are a little too low...

I dont think i could live around you with all that mustard and stuff, just imagine.........

<

Spas

Explorer addict
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
North East, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 Sport
I dont think i could live around you with all that mustard and stuff, just imagine.........

Thaaaaaaanks, that REALLY made me calm down a little (LOL). The darndest thing about the mustard gas is that for the last 40 years it's been stored OUTSIDE :eek: They are slowly but surely destroying it, but they just stepped up plans to enclose it in a bomb proof shelter of some kind...however, the shelter won't be complete for some time yet. Oh, and I neglected to mention that the proving ground is at one end of the county, and a Nuclear power plant is at the other..... Can you see why I freak out easily?

<

Explorer4u2c

Reaction score
City, State
Jacksonville, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer
How about moving away from Maryland.... far far away LOL

<

Spas

Explorer addict
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
North East, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 Sport
How about moving away from Maryland.... far far away LOL

LMAO...the thought has crossed my mind more than once, but I stay for all the good stuff that's between these two disaster areas ;) I was born in Florida-been there, done that :D

<

Explorer4u2c

Reaction score
City, State
Jacksonville, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer
Originally posted by Spas
;) I was born in Florida-been there, done that :D

where in FL....

<

Spas

Explorer addict
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
North East, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 Sport
West Palm Beach..still got family down there, too. Next time I'm down I'm gonna have to visit with you FLexplorers :)

<

Texplorer

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Morgantown, WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT 4x4 4.0
Spas, I think I might have you beat in the scared department. We have these city wide terrorism alerts every onece in a while and all I see are attack helicopters, fully loaded fighter jets, navel destroyers( with helicopters and fighter jets on board), coast guard, and cops before every bridge and tunnel in the whole city. Not to metion random check points anywhere throughout the city. That gets your heart pumping when the news comes on and says there is a high chance for another terrorism strike against the city in the next few days and all you see is nothing but army vehicles and cops everywhere. We had one 2 days ago, kinda gets you thinking.

<

Jason_25

Elite Explorer<br>ECX Member
Reaction score
City, State
New Bern, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 Explorer "Expedition"
I live near the biggest marine air base in the world and I like it :)

I love watching the helicopters fly over at night and drop flares over the river. It's peaceful actually.

<

addkev

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Eastern NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'11 Explorer
Try living ON base. Here in Pensacola, "Home of the Blue Angels" We have practice 3 times aweek. When they buzz our house it quite literally shakes everything. We have had cabinets fall off the walls, windows break, pictures fall of the walls. The best thing, practice starts at 8:00 am, my wife and kids have a really good alarm to wake them up--the sound of freedom.

<

VBVA

Go Dukes!
Reaction score
City, State
Northern Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL
I live near (and work at) one of the largest Naval Air Stations in the world. Oceana Naval Air Base has all the Navy's f-14's and the majority of the Navy's f/a-18's. Not to mention, I live about 20 minutes from the largest Navy Base in the world. Supposedly, all the ships from all the Navies in the world can fit in Norfolk harbor! This makes for some interesting times in Virginia Beach. I just hope poor old Osama doesn't have my home mapped out as one of his targets! Oh well, I guess I have the entire U.S. Navy here to protect me!

<

Spas

Explorer addict
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
North East, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 Sport
Wow, Kev- did you get a discount on the house when you bought it? lol My Grandma lives on Long Island and has to hear planes buzz her house all the time on their way out to sea....

That sucks, Tex...but look at the bright side-you still live in the greatest city on the planet!

VB-I got lots of tanks, cannons, and missiles! :D

<

addkev

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Eastern NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'11 Explorer
Well we live on base in military housing, it isn't "my" house. We live here and the military just doesn't pay me as much as if I lived out in town. Everytime something breaks we submit a claim and they pay us. Usually about $100.

<

AlaskanJack

Elite Cabin-Fever Captain
Reaction score
City, State
Centralia, Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 , 93 & 01 Sports
Surprisingly enough here in Alaska we have some large bases. We have a large Air Force base that has an Army base next to it and next to the Army base is a huge National Guard center.

I just recently found out that during WWII the Japanese captured I think it was 2 of the Alaskan Islands and were bombing air force bases. The Aluetian(sp) Islands and I thought they were way out in the Pacific. LOL

We had quite a few scares around September when the nations airspace was shut down and some bush pilot w/no information was flying back in from the bush with hunters. Man there were a lot of scrambled aircraft then. We could see them take-off and they'd hit their afterburners and be gone!!

<

Texplorer

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Morgantown, WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT 4x4 4.0
Spas,

I only wish what you said was true. This is probably the best city in the world.... to visit. But if you live here, that is another story. I was ready to go back home a week after I moved here. Next month will be one year here, and it was the most miserable year of my life. I dont have one good thing to say about this city.

<

Spas

Explorer addict
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
North East, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 Sport
I only wish what you said was true. This is probably the best city in the world.... to visit. But if you live here, that is another story. I was ready to go back home a week after I moved here. Next month will be one year here, and it was the most miserable year of my life. I dont have one good thing to say about this city.

Well, damn, if you moved there from Texas, I can see why! Are you going to move back?

<

Texplorer

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Morgantown, WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT 4x4 4.0
I am happy to say that I will be moving back to Texas at the end of August. I will be attending college there for the fall semester. I really cant wait to get back.

<

Jarrett088

Reaction score
City, State
Glen Burnie,Md
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT 4x4
I live about 10 miles from Ft. Meade and that place has been crazy with activity these past months. My house is about 1 mile from BWI Airport and I'm waiting for one of those big suckers to drop on me or someone blow it up. 10 miles to the other side is Curtis Bay with all the gigantic fuel storage tanks. I live in the middle of a terrorists playground.:eek: Also, while at my hunting property in Cambridge, fighters from Quantico frequently buzz the treetops, man those things are scary ! I bet you see some good ones from Martin-Marrieta. But still, MD is a great place (except for the Mustard Gas!) and wouldn't move anyplace else.

Tim

<

Join the Elite Explorers $20 Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.