Anyone else's ScanGauge not work when it's cold out? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anyone else's ScanGauge not work when it's cold out?

RichCresci

Reaction score
City, State
New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 XLS, 06 Mounty
Alright, So i have a ScanGauge in my 03 4.0 It's mounted above my rear view mirror and I love it. However, Whenever it's below about 60 degrees, the gauge doesn't work until it warms up. In the heat of the summer it works great, but now in this beautiful 18 degree weather it's useless until my truck gets good and hot inside which could be almost 20 minutes later, then once I open the window or turn the heat from defrost to face it shuts off again. I've emailed Linear Logic and they're useless. They told me, and I quote...

"Thank you for your inquiry. We have noticed this issue occurring in some Ford vehicles in the morning. Unfortunately, our engineers have not found a solution for this problem, however they do recommend that if you are going to leave the ScanGaugeII in your Ford for an extend period, to let the unit shut itself off and unplug it while the vehicle is not in use. I hope this temporary solution helps. Please let us know if you have any further questions."

I tried this and it got me no where. I feel like there's something stupid and easy wrong with the unit if it doesn't work when it's cold. Is anyone else having this same issue or have any idea's for a fix? I'm tossing around the idea of wiring in a trans temp gauge if i can't get the ScanGauge to work 100% the time. It's also extremely frustrating that it only calibrates my fuel economy when it's on because it skews the results terribly. Let me know if you guys have any ideas. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i have the scangauge 2 and it works at -40 even,
yours not working sounds weird,,

Yeah I have the ScanGauge2 as well. Like I said, anything below 60 it's wierd. It works for about a minute when I first start the truck then turns off until it warms up inside.

You guys both have 2nd gens though right? Could Linear Logic be right? It's my truck and not the gauge? Although I did put it in my 02 'stang and got the same results. So I still blame them. Not Ford.

My scanguage works great even at the -10 we had a few nights ago. And mines in a 3rd gen too. Mine is down in the center console though. Try moving it away from the window where it tends to get colder.

Does it seem logical though that it would malfunction at any temperature below 60? If moving it to the console will fix it then great, but it seems silly that the cold is what's causing the problem.

Here's a thought, I just remembered the gauge is connected using 2 cables. The on that goes from the obdII port to a union then another one that goes from the union to the gauge. I wonder if the union has something to do with it?

On the scanguageII it only has one cable. It runs from the unit to the OBDII plug.

Mine started right up with the truck even after being dropped in a nice big cup of Coca-Cola a few months back..

Rich I think you need to file a claim/report with ScanGuage, mine came with a darn good warranty!

I know it only has 1 cable but being that mine is mounted above my rearview I needed an extension cable and a union which came with the mount and gauge.

Yes, I too am having minor trouble with my scanguage in my Explorer.

It works well. But on hot or cold days, the gauge will not turn on until the HVAC has been running for several minutes. I don't know what to do about it. I to have thought that my mpg numbers would no longer be accurate as its not logging the first several miles of driving.

Otherwise I do not have trouble with it after it turns on.

Please let me know if you find a solution.

btw my ex is a 3rd gen.

Yes, I too am having minor trouble with my scanguage in my Explorer.

It works well. But on hot or cold days, the gauge will not turn on until the HVAC has been running for several minutes. I don't know what to do about it. I to have thought that my mpg numbers would no longer be accurate as its not logging the first several miles of driving.

Otherwise I do not have trouble with it after it turns on.

Please let me know if you find a solution.

btw my ex is a 3rd gen.

Exactly! I can't seem to figure out the correlation exactly, but mine deffinetely seems to turn off when its cold, after the heat has been on for about 15. It is strange though because sometimes it will work for almost 15 minutes before it turn off for another 15 minutes, then it'll come back on and stay on unless i turn the heat off of defrost or open the window. I just want it to work! Strange:dunno:

My gauge will also turn on and then turn back off on its own, only to turn back on again and then work 5 minutes later.

I live in Texas and first noticed when I first got in the truck on a hot afternoon. And it would only do this in extreme heat. I have also noticed that it does this in near freezing as well this winter.

I have also thought that maybe the Explorer computer just does not respond to the gauge for a few minutes, but I doubt it.

Linear logic told me it was the truck, not the gauge. I don't understand how that could be. I actually ordered another gauge last week so I can see if they're right or not. It's in the mail. I guess we'll have to see. Hypothetically, if it is the truck, does anyone have a logical explanation for this?

Hi Everyone,

If you are having issues still in the cold please contact me at joey.snyder@linear-logic.com and we will get your unit switched out for a brand new one with a pre-paid return label to send us back the non-working one.

We discovered that a wrong component was put on the circuit board that wasn't working in the cold, or hot in some cases. Unfortunately this was only affecting Ford vehicles which made it harder to figure out.

Regards,
Joey Snyder
Linear Logic LLC
888-433-5664 x13

Hi Everyone,

If you are having issues still in the cold please contact me at joey.snyder@linear-logic.com and we will get your unit switched out for a brand new one with a pre-paid return label to send us back the non-working one.

We discovered that a wrong component was put on the circuit board that wasn't working in the cold, or hot in some cases. Unfortunately this was only affecting Ford vehicles which made it harder to figure out.

Regards,
Joey Snyder
Linear Logic LLC
888-433-5664 x13

This just made my day. I can finally sleep at night. I emailed you in regards to swapping out my gauge. Thanks again!

Hi Everyone,

Regards,
Joey Snyder
Linear Logic LLC
888-433-5664 x13

Hi Joey, I just sent you an email regarding my issue with the scanguage on my Ford. Thanks for your help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

just so as you know Joey,
i have had no issues so far with mine even at -40, but if it does start i will let you know,,

Back