Anyone ever changed the Thermostat on a Sport | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anyone ever changed the Thermostat on a Sport

pup5581

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'14 Explorer Sport
Just curious if anyone here has done it...easy? Tough?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just curious if anyone here has done it...easy? Tough?
I believe there are a few that have a tune that have also changed the thermostat. I have seen posts on that but not a 'How To'.

Peter

I believe there are a few that have a tune that have also changed the thermostat. I have seen posts on that but not a 'How To'.

Peter

I am pretty good with that stuff ut my mechanic can do it so much faster and cheap

Pretty easy job. Though getting the stock one out was a bit of a pain without taking any other things off to make more room. Took about 20 mins.

Pretty easy job. Though getting the stock one out was a bit of a pain without taking any other things off to make more room. Took about 20 mins.

Where exactly is it located? Any pics?

Driver side just below air intake. Intake hose has to be removed. Follow radiator hose it's not hard to find

Driver side just below air intake. Intake hose has to be removed. Follow radiator hose it's not hard to find

I have a CAI...so i need to remove that and can get to it?

Yeah it doesn't matter what intake you have it will have to be removed to access. BTW if your having that much of an issue locating it you might want to pay someone to change it.

Yeah it doesn't matter what intake you have it will have to be removed to access. BTW if your having that much of an issue locating it you might want to pay someone to change it.

I haven't even looked yet..i just wanted to get an idea of where to start ect and see if i will just pay my guy like $30 to put it in

Not hard to do. Remove airbox to get to the Thermostat below, place a drain pan underneath, and remove it with 8mm socket if I remember right. The new Thermostat goes in first, then o-ring seal. The end of the thermostat housing is tapered to make the seal with the o-ring. I lost a lot of coolant and refilled about 3/4 a gallon of Motorcraft 50/50 orange pre-mix. I ran it with the heater on high, coolant cap off, and let the fans kick on a few times. Also kicked the rpms up a bit to help push air out of the system, and when I did that the heat got nice and hot coming out of the vents inside. I drove it to work and topped it off with a little more coolant. I checked for leaks too.

Hope this helps.

Back