Anyone got an external console??? | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

• Holiday Special! - 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a two year membership! If you have an existing Elite membership contact me by PM and I will upgrade your account manually.

Click Here to start your membership and get rid of the ads!

Anyone got an external console???

Isam Lamarius

Reaction score
City, State
LA
Year, Model & Trim Level
18' Explorer
I intended to pick up a Pioneer head unit for my 2016 explorer. It's a little tricky for me with the installation.
Just ordered an external console, it does not cost much, is easy to set up, and supports both Wireless CarPlay and Wireless Android auto.
It‘s cool!But I’m still considering whether the change to the Pioneer unit or keep the external console.
Does anyone have experience with the console or any head unit suggested?
https://carplaysmartbox.com/product...ia-player-with-apple-carplay-and-andriod-auto.

Holiday Special! Join the Elite Explorers $20 for 2 years! Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Russell, Ontario (Ottawa area)
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I think you mean an external controller. When you mention "console" here, people tend to think of the floor console between the seats.

Peter

MattMPA

Reaction score
City, State
SE PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Interceptor Utility
As I understand, an aftermarket radio is not an easy project in a '16-19 Explorer. The Metro kits for example, only go up to 2015.

mguy13sport

Reaction score
City, State
NH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Sport
It not recommended to replace the factory unit with anything aftermarket. Unfortunately these aren't like the early 2000s cars where you just need a harness and plug and play any headunit.

If you want Apple and Android support, go with a sync3 conversion kit. This will retain all factory options like GPS, steering wheel controls etc. The closest thing to plug and play you will find.

Isam Lamarius

Reaction score
City, State
LA
Year, Model & Trim Level
18' Explorer
It not recommended to replace the factory unit with anything aftermarket. Unfortunately these aren't like the early 2000s cars where you just need a harness and plug and play any headunit.

If you want Apple and Android support, go with a sync3 conversion kit. This will retain all factory options like GPS, steering wheel controls etc. The closest thing to plug and play you will find.
Thanks, Matt. I don't think I can have the retrofit kit installed myself and it's too much, US$1800 +. Just found their BLKFRIDAY's on, I gonna take the portable one.
WilI update here once I got it.