Anyone have 2.25"/1.75" spacers and stock size tires? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anyone have 2.25"/1.75" spacers and stock size tires?

undsaleen

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
05 Ford Explorer XLT
I just got an explorer, second one, and now I had to buy new tires. At the time I didn't even think of a lift and got 235/75/16's in an all terrain tire. I like the tire and they weren't cheap, none are, and now I am interested in doing a spacer lift kit. I am looking at the 2.75"/1.75" set or smaller. I also don't want to do a body lift. I am simply looking at a more aggressive look and a little more clearance. So has anyone done this lift and stayed with stock size tires? IF so or maybe someone did this before buying tires can you post any pictures you have of your explorer like this. I just don't want to be forced to buy new tires if I do this right after getting tires. I might move up size later, but not until these wear out. Also do you guys recommend doing upper and lower ball joints and the same time? Thanks for any info on this as I am new to the forum and to this vehicle.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd wait because it would look pretty goofy with the lift and those smaller tires...

You could have fit 265's with stock height, by the way.

Yes. I have a 2.0 front and 1.5 rear spacer lift AND a 1.5 inch body lift with stock (235/70/16) tires. Lets just say I'm embarrassed to drive it like this it looks so dumb. I'm planning to get some used 265/75's put on this Friday.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Ok wow that does look silly. So thanks for the info guys. When I bought my new tires I was told by multiple people (friends, dealer, tire shop) that I couldn't go larger than stock size on the tires because the RSC system would screw up if the diameter was different. My explorer is a 2005. I just didn't know what to do at the time as I did not know that 265's fit with no lift. I am really surprised that they do actually and if anyone has pictures of this please post as I am really curious now. I rub now on a full lock turn, just the fender liner, so I am not sure how those would fit. So I basically will have to wait quite a while to do this if I have to get tires at the same time or before. That sucks. Either way thanks for the info and I might just have to try and sell my tires, as much as I love them, and buy the 265 in the same tire. So if anyone has a pic of a stock explorer with 265's please post. Thanks guys.

you can go bigger than stock without messing up RSC, just make sure you get a spare that's the same size; that's where the whole unequal size thing comes into play.

I couldnt put it better myself...GET A MATCH SET OF TIRES!!! you do not mess it up at all the only concern you should have is sway(RSC monitors abs sensors,pitch,yaw,throttle input,brake input, steering input. and computes that vs the known parameters of the vehicles capabilities...
I have had it add some brake on me once coming down a steep grade making a turn(wasn't much) I really wouldn't worry...
The traction control is pretty Damn nice off road I can vouch and ronnin has seen me lift wheels with open diffs and keep on......
I did have a long talk with my trans guy regarding the 5r55w(handles load fine)and regearing the diffs

X-1.jpg

That's mine at stock height with 265/75 16s
No rub even at full lock.

Ok, that does look good actually. So has anyone gone larger than 265 tires on a stock truck? Basically what is the limit on tire size for a non-lifted explorer (05) without rubbing too much? Just curious and also wondering how I can get rid of my tires for a decent price now that they are almost brand new and I want to get a larger size. So what is the opinion on size of a spacer lift without having any issues with joints and half shafts wearing prematurely? I am thinking maybe 2.0" front and 1.5 " rears but I am thinking no body lift. I also have to fit this into a normal garage door with the possibility of a roof rack later too.

265/75/16 is about the limit on a non lifted truck AFAIK. If you want the least wear from a spacer lift go really small...like 1.5/1 or 1.25/1. Or just do the 1.5" body lift and you'll have no issues at all.

For selling your current tires try craigslist

8de6cd62.jpg

265/65/17 Nitto terra grapplers stock..Alittle bit of rub, not enough for me to care. Mines an 05 also.

Thought about craigslist, I use it quite a bit actually. I was wondering if you guys could tell me what kind of actual lift you get from a 2.5" front /1.75" rear spacer kit? I know the lift is more than the actual spacers so does anyone know the actual lift from a 2.5/1.75 and also from a 2.0"/1.5" kit? Don't want to go so small it isn't worth the effort. Thanks for any info and nice looking trucks above.

Generally you get about 1.5" of lift for every 1" of spacer.

So for example, a 2.25/1.75 spacer will give you about 3 3/8" of lift up front and about 2 5/8" of lift in the back.

Of course that lift comes at a cost. Once you get much above a 1.75" spacer in the front and 1.5" spacer in the rear, you really increase the chances of having the knuckles smack the coil springs in the front and the axles grind the frame in the rear. If you are going to be offroading at all, this is going to lead to problems. Not to mention that you lose suspension downtravel from this.

Limiting straps will fix the suspension contact issues in the front and rear, though they won't fix the loss of downtravel.

It all depends on how you plan on using the truck. If the lift is mostly for looks, all this might not matter so much. If you want a balance between clearance/functionality and looks, then I would suggest going with a smaller set of spacers than the sizes you are thinking of.

Just my opinion, but something you might want to think about.

Thought about craigslist, I use it quite a bit actually. I was wondering if you guys could tell me what kind of actual lift you get from a 2.5" front /1.75" rear spacer kit? I know the lift is more than the actual spacers so does anyone know the actual lift from a 2.5/1.75 and also from a 2.0"/1.5" kit? Don't want to go so small it isn't worth the effort. Thanks for any info and nice looking trucks above.

2005 Ford Explorer lift kit

Anyone know where to get a smaller lift for a 2005 Ford Explorer. I'm looking for a 2inch in the front and a 1.5inch in the back if anyone has the link please let me know. Thanks

Where did you get your lift can you give me the link cause that's what I wanna put on my truck

Yes. I have a 2.0 front and 1.5 rear spacer lift AND a 1.5 inch body lift with stock (235/70/16) tires. Lets just say I'm embarrassed to drive it like this it looks so dumb. I'm planning to get some used 265/75's put on this Friday.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Back