anyone have a clue how to remove this lug nut? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

anyone have a clue how to remove this lug nut?

matt351

Reaction score
City, State
Terre Haute, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer
This is actually on my fiancée's QX4. I'd buy the key for it if i even knew what it was called. I'm at a loss here.

Attachments

• 20140809_131904-1.jpg
    20140809_131904-1.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 245

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This is one company that sales replacement keys. I'll look some more. Do you by chance know what make they are?

http://www.brandsport.com/grla-1921xlkey2r.html

If you can't find a replacement than you can always make on using either a big bolt or piece of steel rod and a grinder or dremel tool to shape it to the dimensions you need. I have done this in the past.

The other option is to buy a reverse threaded extractor. It has threads that will grip the outside of the lock nut and will remove it, though destroying it in the process.

I've got no clue what kind or manufacturer. I like the idea of making something with a grinder though. I never thought of that. I just found out Sears makes something that may work too.

Thanks guys

I would weld a old socket or extension to it and remove with a impact.

That was my next idea I was going to suggest but wasn't sure if he had a welder.

If it isn't rusted or super impacted tight, give it a shot of pb blaster then slide the prybar end of your standard explorer tire tool (take off the plastic cover) into the slot like a screwdriver. Slide a steel rod through the square hole and turn like a 4-way lug wrench. Should turn off assuming the tip fits in the slot.

OR

Try one of these with your 1/2" breaker bar.
http://www.harborfreight.com/6-pc-12-in-drive-screwdriver-bit-socket-set-67881.html

It might be Gorilla brand. I would get rid of all four of those. They look like a failure waiting to happen...

If it isn't rusted or super impacted tight, give it a shot of pb blaster then slide the prybar end of your standard explorer tire tool (take off the plastic cover) into the slot like a screwdriver. Slide a steel rod through the square hole and turn like a 4-way lug wrench. Should turn off assuming the tip fits in the slot.

OR

Try one of these with your 1/2" breaker bar.
http://www.harborfreight.com/6-pc-12-in-drive-screwdriver-bit-socket-set-67881.html
IMO, the best idea yet, and the first thought that came to mind. Just make sure the blade is wedged in tight and doesn't slip.

If the previous option doesn't work you can cut a slot in the circumference of the nut then drift it around.
I've done this more than once.

I bought the 1/2 drive screwdriver bits from Harbor Freight last night. I'm going to give them a whirl this evening after work. Cross your fingers everyone lol!

Good luck, hopefully it's not too hard to get the lugnut removed.

The largest flathead the set came with worked great! 1 or 2 smacks with a hammer and an 18" breaker bar worked like a champ!

Glad to hear you got it removed.

Back