Anyone have a pic of the iPhone displaying on the MFT screen? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anyone have a pic of the iPhone displaying on the MFT screen?

dco43054

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
cmh
Year, Model & Trim Level
20 XLT
I know it will only work while parked, or travelling under 5 mph, or something - But I'm just wondering what the video looks like when you plug an iPhone into the video inputs on the MFT. Couldn't find a thread with the info.

I need a good quality car cable anyhow. May just buy the Apple one and try it myself.

My real question is will the iPhone screen display on the MFT screen, so you could see navigation and such. Or, is it just a video that would display if one was being played on the iPhone.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You will never see the iPhone screen 1:1. iOS is not designed for that.
Some apps can output "stuff" to the video out as a secondary display. That's up to the app's developer.
I know that the iPad version of MotionX HD Drive does a great job at displaying a full-screen map on the secondary screen while giving you menu options on the iPad itself. (Not sure their iPhone version can do the same.)

Maybe this is the solution for crap MFT and factory Nav. There are a couple of companies that make kits that allow video while the car is running. MotionX Drive is excellent software on the iPhone and iPad. I'm currently using an iPad on a suction cup mount so I can actually use navigation in my shiny new Explorer that doesn't work...

Running MotionX on the iPhone and routing it to the factory screen would be great. I don't know how you would run climate and phone controls? Maybe by voice?

I'm going to contact both manufacturers to see how this might work.

What a shame we have to find a workaround to get the functionality we paid dearly for.

I know it will only work while parked, or travelling under 5 mph, or something - But I'm just wondering what the video looks like when you plug an iPhone into the video inputs on the MFT. Couldn't find a thread with the info.

I need a good quality car cable anyhow. May just buy the Apple one and try it myself.

My real question is will the iPhone screen display on the MFT screen, so you could see navigation and such. Or, is it just a video that would display if one was being played on the iPhone.

Here is a video of an iPhone diplaying video on a 2012 Focus with MFT. It's using an Apple component video cable to the AV in. Only works when parked.

http://youtu.be/N0Ur7WE48Qw

Maybe this is the solution for crap MFT and factory Nav. There are a couple of companies that make kits that allow video while the car is running. MotionX Drive is excellent software on the iPhone and iPad. I'm currently using an iPad on a suction cup mount so I can actually use navigation in my shiny new Explorer that doesn't work...

Running MotionX on the iPhone and routing it to the factory screen would be great. I don't know how you would run climate and phone controls? Maybe by voice?

I'm going to contact both manufacturers to see how this might work.

What a shame we have to find a workaround to get the functionality we paid dearly for.

MotionX is a Great GPS App......Love it

Here is a video of an iPhone diplaying video on a 2012 Focus with MFT. It's using an Apple component video cable to the AV in. Only works when parked.

http://youtu.be/N0Ur7WE48Qw
Actually, it is a composite cable, no?

Apple Composite AV Cable
Part Number: MC748ZM/A

I'm wondering if there isn't an app out there (and may have to jailbreak the phone) that will route whatever is on the iPhone screen to the video out.

yes, red yellow white composite, not component.

Anything is possible with jailbreak :)
But another issue we haven't discussed is that composite video is 480 lines. So don't expect the sharp details of an iPad display on the MFT screen. Lines and text will be most likely blurred and washed out.
I'm currently in the process of building a custom EX fitting iPad dock - will open a separate thread once I have something to show.

Anything is possible with jailbreak :)
But another issue we haven't discussed is that composite video is 480 lines. So don't expect the sharp details of an iPad display on the MFT screen. Lines and text will be most likely blurred and washed out.
Is everything is possible with a jailbreak? You have to have an app that kicks out the screen image to the composite jack. I haven't gone looking yet, but has anyone heard about an app like that?

I do realize there will be resolution issues.

Actually, it is a composite cable, no?

Apple Composite AV Cable
Part Number: MC748ZM/A

I'm wondering if there isn't an app out there (and may have to jailbreak the phone) that will route whatever is on the iPhone screen to the video out.

Yes. Jailbreak and get TVOutTuner found on Cydia. It will play video, music, and can mirror any application you see on the display. However, I do have one issue. If I plug the USB connector in, IPod app throws a screen up that says IPod is docked. This is actually the issue I am looking to resolve.

Note this app helps if you bought a 3rd party 'cheaper' cable off of ebay.

Jim

yes, red yellow white composite, not component.

Nope. Component. Not RGB composite. It's red/white for sound. Yellow for video.

Nope. Component. Not RGB composite. It's red/white for sound. Yellow for video.

Composite per the owners manual:

In order to playback video from your iPod/iPhone, you MUST have a special combination USB/RCA composite video cable (available for purchase from Apple). Once the cable is connected to your iPod/iPhone, plug in the other end into both the RCA jacks and the USB port.

This is what was used in the video above:http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC748ZM/A?mco=Nzc1MjMwNg

Composite per the owners manual:

In order to playback video from your iPod/iPhone, you MUST have a special combination USB/RCA composite video cable (available for purchase from Apple). Once the cable is connected to your iPod/iPhone, plug in the other end into both the RCA jacks and the USB port.

This is what was used in the video above:http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC748ZM/A?mco=Nzc1MjMwNg

You can actually buy a composite video cable from Apple, but MFT uses component, which you can also buy from Apple. There is only one video cable input, not 3 on MFT. You can test this by just attaching the yellow cable. The red/white are for audio, leave those two disconnected. You will get full color video. Therefore - component.

Not that this point really matters, but if owner's manual got it wrong - what else? Maybe they should pay more attention and figure out how to make the software fully work with iPhone and tune to the correct Sirius channels using the IVR. Makes me want a job there to get MFT to live up to its potential.

Here is link to the component cable:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC917ZM/A?fnode=MTY1NDAzOQ&mco=MTM3NTM0Mjg

Apple Component AV Cable
Part number: MC917ZM/A

Jim

You can actually buy a composite video cable from Apple, but MFT uses component, which you can also buy from Apple. There is only one video cable input, not 3 on MFT. You can test this by just attaching the yellow cable. The red/white are for audio, leave those two disconnected. You will get full color video. Therefore - component.

Not that this point really matters, but if owner's manual got it wrong - what else? Maybe they should pay more attention and figure out how to make the software fully work with iPhone and tune to the correct Sirius channels using the IVR. Makes me want a job there to get MFT to live up to its potential.

Here is link to the component cable:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC917ZM/A?fnode=MTY1NDAzOQ&mco=MTM3NTM0Mjg

Apple Component AV Cable
Part number: MC917ZM/A

Jim

Jim,

Actually the system uses composite video which is the Yellow connection.

Component video is Red Blue Green which is not part of the MFT.

Look closer at the picture using your link and you will see the three separate cables for "video" Red. Blue Green. The Red and White are for analogue audio.

Jim,

Actually the system uses composite video which is the Yellow connection.

Component video is Red Blue Green which is not part of the MFT.

Look closer at the picture using your link and you will see the three separate cables for "video" Red. Blue Green. The Red and White are for analogue audio.

Stung by my own hornet. Thanks for removing my cranium from...someplace.

Jim

Yes. Jailbreak and get TVOutTuner found on Cydia. It will play video, music, and can mirror any application you see on the display. However, I do have one issue. If I plug the USB connector in, IPod app throws a screen up that says IPod is docked. This is actually the issue I am looking to resolve.
Yep - composite. I bought the Apple cable. I've found the "cheaper" cables sometimes have crappy quality. Had one that would charge power, but wouldn't reliably transfer data. I didn't want to be trying to track down issues caused by a cable.

I plugged in the A/V only and played a video. The quality was really good. It's not 1080p, but that's not what I expected, either.

When I plugged in the A/V and the USB, the iPhone went into dock mode and expected control from MFT, which it wasn't providing. I'll have to play with it some more, but in a couple minutes that I did, it didn't seem like MFT had a video control built in, just audio.

May have to play with Cydia and TVoutTuner and see how it looks, but then I'd have to "jailbreak" MFT as well.

Back