Anyone have Aftermarket or Non-Stock Seats? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anyone have Aftermarket or Non-Stock Seats?

Mascman

Reaction score
City, State
Apollo, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Sport
My driver's seat is broken...I look like I'm doing the pimp lean when in reality, I'm just trying to stay upright!

I was looking at the APC seats and was wondering if anyone had them or a similar seat. They come with sliders, but I'd probably need to make some brackets to fit them to the original frame. Pep Boys has them for $150 each and I've seen them on Ebay for $220 a pair.

Did anyone use a non-stock seat from another vehicle like a Mustang or something?

By the way, this is not a problem that would be fixed by the seat recall. The actual base of the seat (under the cushion) actually cracked and then tore apart due to flexing. This is a dangerous way to drive...not to mention uncomfortable!!:mad:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i remeber a long time ago that someone swapped mercedes seats into their truck... you might try a search for it.....

I think Hartman swapped in Infinity seats.

Why are you getting away from factory seats? Wouldn't it be easier and look nicer to find some nice leathr seats and replace them all instead of putting in another vehicles seats all togeather, unless you want a new and different look? But to each his own cup of tea. LOL.

I put in some 3A seats (i think that is what they are). I didn't take any pictures of the seats themselfs but I have some pics of how I mounted them...
1584newseats.jpg

And how I used the stock brackets and welded them to a bracket made out of 1x2" stock.
1584seatmounts.jpg

I wound up lowering them like an inch as they were sitting a bit to close to the roof for my taste.

Chris

You talking about these ones?

If you use these ones, I wanna check 'em out in person. I'm looking to do something like this!!

I don't really care for leather seats. If I could find a stock one in good shape, it would be easier to just replace it...but I haven't found one yet!

Isles4evr- Did you use anything to cover the mounting brackets?

IAmTodd- Those are the style I was talking about. If you go to the Pep Boys in Monroeville, they have a display set up with the seats.

I havn't finished them yet... I still need to lower the pass side, prime and paint, and them make something to cover the 2 sides and the rear. I am going to leave the front open as an under seat storage for small items. I'll probably just tack some sheet metal to the brackets from the inside.

Chris

seats

In answer to your question about some mustang seats, the sport seats from 79 - 93 will work but you will need to tap threads into two existing holes or use two smaller bolts and the seat track mount bolts. The biggest problem is limited colours, most common is black or grey. The black ones look great with my tan & black interior.
My drivers seat base cracked at the seat track mounting hole causing an uncomfortable lean.I had a pair of extra seats from my 93 lx 5.0 in storage so i tried them and they are more supportive then stock. I hope this helps.

tcom67- That is exactly where mine broke. I'm only 5'7" and 175 pounds...it's not like I'm a big guy and put alot of force on the seat! It seems like a weak point to me.

Thanks for the info on the seats. I have the grey interior so I'm sure it would be easy to find some.

Back