Anyone have pics of the radius arm & bushings? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anyone have pics of the radius arm & bushings?

jsun

Reaction score
City, State
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Explorer Sport SOHC 4x
It's too cold to be sitting underneath the truck right now, and a quick reference to help me get started in pin pointing my thumping from under the truck would be greatly appreciated! The thumping is most noticeable underneath the front seating area on both sides of the truck.

A lil" searching from the forum;)and symptoms lead me to this.

Also, a quick Q... Will the radius arms bushings being worn have an affect on the alignment? and/or drift or pull?

Thanks in advance!

J

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you have a 99, you don't have radius arms. I think the later models had a problem with the torsion bar making a clanking noise, but I have a 93 so someone else had better answer....

later
brian

Originally posted by verlane24
If you have a 99, you don't have radius arms. I think the later models had a problem with the torsion bar making a clanking noise, but I have a 93 so someone else had better answer....

later
brian
That may explain why I have not been able to locate them...Duh!

K, I pulled the torsion cover plates off previously and never noticed anything obvious.... What should I be looking for?

The clunking was not to bad for a while and was put off, but it has just become very noticeable within the last few days. This is one of the many of things that are occurring al at once!!! It's driving me nuts, as I have owned this truck for less than a year and I have had the engine pulled (timing guides/cassettes), Rear diff re-build, Tie rod ends replaced, new batt, signal switch replaced (shorting), and now pigging, possible tranny failure, alignment issue's, and clucking. Not a very happy Ford owner at this time... But still want to keep her? Go figure?

Thanks for the quick reply Brian...

Originally posted by jsun

K, I pulled the torsion cover plates off previously and never noticed anything obvious.... What should I be looking for?

The clunking was not to bad for a while and was put off, but it has just become very noticeable within the last few days. This is one of the many of things that are occurring al at once!!! It's driving me nuts, as I have owned this truck for less than a year and I have had the engine pulled (timing guides/cassettes), Rear diff re-build, Tie rod ends replaced, new batt, signal switch replaced (shorting), and now pigging, possible tranny failure, alignment issue's, and clucking. Not a very happy Ford owner at this time... But still want to keep her? Go figure?

Thanks for the quick reply Brian...

Now that I know what I'm looking for I think I found my info...
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...0&highlight=torsion bar clunking&pagenumber=1

Now to fix the rest...:mad:

Now that I know what I'm looking for I think I found my info...

Yep, that's what I was thinking of.

Don't feel bad mine's falling apart too....

I've got to do tie rods, ball joints, u-joints, manifold gaskets, and oxy sensors. At least that's all I've found so far.... :rolleyes:

later
brian

It is very possible that your ball joints may be going bad, you might wanna check that out.

Originally posted by jsun

Thanks for the good Laugh!!!! It like my wife going to unlock the hubs and she walks to the rear...... I was laughing so hard I couldn't do anything and I wanted to shift the t-case into nuetral and then hit the gas and say did you "UNLOCK THE REAR WHEELS ALSO!!!"

Originally posted by AlaskanJack
Thanks for the good Laugh!!!! It like my wife going to unlock the hubs and she walks to the rear...... I was laughing so hard I couldn't do anything and I wanted to shift the t-case into nuetral and then hit the gas and say did you "UNLOCK THE REAR WHEELS ALSO!!!"

LOL... Anything to keep people amused around here :cool:

Thanks for the reply's "everyone"!!! Mucho appreciated

Will check the ball joints again just for reassurance seeing as though the noise is now more pronounced then previous. Last time I checked absolutely no play in the tires at all.

J

Back