anyone have radiator leaks?

PUR PONY

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 LTD, 96 XLT, & 98 XLT
My friend has a 2006 Explorer he bought used with 30,000 miles about 3 years ago. After he bought the truck it started leaking coolant and the dealer said it was the radiator, They replaced it.... about a year later it started leaking again. He had since moved and went to a different dealer. Dealer said it was the radiator, and replaced it again... NOW... all of a sudden, it started leaking coolant this past weekend... WTF??? Anyone else have a problem like this? I can see how in 40,000 miles, he will be on his 3rd radiator...... All my explorers have 180K + miles with factory radiators....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ford has tsb for radiator and update of pcm to change cooling fan strategy.

Radiator leaks, well sure, I got all of them. I owned a 1997 Explorer and I had to put six radiators in the vehicle. Four were aftermarket, two from Advanced Auto and two from NAPA. The last one from NAPA lasted less than a month. I finally ordered an OEM replacement and got rid of the vehicle.

Now, I have a 2006 Explorer XLT with the 4.0 SOHC V-6 engine. The original radiator was replaced at 32K miles. Then that radiator was replace in July of 2010 (six months ago) and now it's leaking. They leak right where the plastic tank and alumnium core are crimped together. The second radiator failed at 75885, just 885 miles after the extended warranty I bought with the new truck ran out. This radiator had a 12 month - 12.000 mile warranty. The truck now has 88829 miles on it and it's wasted three radiators and needs the fourth. We got 12,944 miles on it and they tell me the warranty is expired and I'll have to pay another $800 to have it replaced. I will not do it. I've written Ford about the situation and this is not an uncommon problem. Go to this site http://www.carcomplaints.com/Ford/Explorer/2006/cooling_system/radiator_leak.shtml and you'll find 100 complaints exactly like this one. Now, I am the original owner of the truck. They tell me that there is some sort of TSB for this problem. If so, why was it not done six months ago or a notice sent out to me to bring my vehicle in? Ford is well aware of this problem and they want to ignore it. They'll probably get away with it because it's not a safety related problem. Nothing but Ford coolant has ever been in this vehicle. I also own a 1994 1/2 F-250 with the 7.3L turbo diesel. It's the turbocharged electronically conrolled direct injection engine. Early Powerstroke without the intercooler. I've asked Ford to replace this radiator and give me a lifetime warranty on the one they install in the truck. If they don't do it, it is the last Ford vehicle that I'll ever buy. I do not want a Government Motors truck nor a Chrysler vehicle. Looks like the Japs will be getting my business from now on. They just recalled 1.6 million vehicles because of a bolt. Ford won't recall anything unless it's something that might get them sued. I've just about had it with Ford. If they don't make this right, I have had it with them.

Yup, that's why I traded my 2006 EB. This was a nightmare, and I'm sure with the exterior/interior near mint, someone else is driving it now. :banghead:

Here is the tsb
Printable View (47 KB)
TSB
09-8-1 4.0L COOLANT LEAK - RADIATOR - BUILT ON OR BEFORE 8/8/2006

Publication Date: April 9, 2009

FORD: 2006 Explorer
2007 Explorer Sport Trac
MERCURY: 2006 Mountaineer

ISSUE:
Some 2006 Explorer, Mountaineer and 2007 Explorer Sport Trac vehicles built on or before 8/8/2006 and equipped with a 4.0L engine may experience coolant leaking from the radiator.

ACTION:
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Replace the radiator with the updated radiator following Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 303-03.
NOTE: NOTE: A REVISED FAN STRATEGY IS ALSO AVAILABLE FOR THESE APPLICATIONS

Reprogram the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) to the latest calibration using IDS release 58.2 and higher. This new calibration is not included in the VCM 2008.11 Calibration files may also be obtained at www.motorcraft.com.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
6L2Z-8005-AD Radiator

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
090801A 2007 Explorer Sport Trac 4.0L: Replace The Radiator; Reprogram The PCM (Do Not Use With 12650D, 8005A, 8600A, 8616A) 1.8 Hrs.
090801A 2006 Explorer, Mountaineer 4.0L: Replace The Radiator; Reprogram The PCM (Do Not Use With 12650D, 8005A, 8600A, 8616A) 1.9 Hrs.

DEALER CODING
BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE
8005 01

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: The information in Technical Service Bulletins is intended for use by trained, professional technicians with the knowledge, tools, and equipment to do the job properly and safely. It informs these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or provides information that could assist in proper vehicle service. The procedures should not be performed by "do-it-yourselfers". Do not assume that a condition described affects your car or truck. Contact a Ford, Lincoln, or Mercury dealership to determine whether the Bulletin applies to your vehicle. Warranty Policy and Extended Service Plan documentation determine Warranty and/or Extended Service Plan coverage unless stated otherwise in the TSB article. The information in this Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) was current at the time of printing. Ford Motor Company reserves the right to supercede this information with updates. The most recent information is available through Ford Motor Company's on-line technical resources.

Copyright © 2009 Ford Motor Company

Search around to find a cheap one and fix it yourself. Its not difficult. I swapped mine this past weekend.

Well, this would seem to be easy remedy if I could do the job. I can't get any information about any TSB. The first radiator was replaced at just over 32,000 miles under warranty. The last radiator was replaced at 75885 miles, 885 miles after my extended warrany ran out, on the vehicle on 6/7/2010. Now, has this TSB been released since this date? I don't know. Now, the radiator that was replaced on 6/7/2010 is leaking. The work came with a 12month/12,000 mile guarantee. The vehicle had 88829 miles on it when I took it to them last week. Out of warranty by 944 miles and they won't replace it. Four radiators in less than 90,000 miles. There's a problem somewhere, ya think? The manufacturers have done a good job of designing their vehicles so that the average mechanic can no longer service the vehicles. So, if they want it that way, they should stand behind the vehicle better than what Ford is willing to do.

Now what auto manufacturer builds a radiator that is only expected to get only 12,000 miles out of it and expects the customer to be happy with that? If it had failed at 100,000 and I'd replaced it and got another 100,000, I'd have no complaint but these things aren't lasting any time at all. Ford has done every bit of the service performed on this vehicle other than routine oil changes and tire rotations. All mechanical work has been done by their technicians which includes the engine cooling system. Matter of fact, I had taken the vehicle in to have the anti-freeze checked to make sure there was enough in it for the approaching cold weather.

Bottom line is, Ford has a problem, a very big problem with radiators in the Explorers. I had a 97 model that I had to put six radiators in but they were much less expensive than these are. These radiators cost three times the price of one for a 97 model. There are simply too many people having these problems. Ford needs to recognize it and fix the problem or at least make their customers happy. If they don't, I don't want a Government Motors nor a Chisler product so I'll buy Japanese next time and let the Japs make the money off the sale. Ford needs to learn that everyone makes mistakes and those that do right when they make one, everything is forgotten. Those that don't do right, are never forgotten. Looks like I'll be driving a rice burner before too long. So much for American loyalty.

if its the same dealer and you always do work with them they should of warr the one that was out by 977 or hook you up.

as for the 06 radiators, its to that year mfg of them. i have put 07 rads in 06 vehicles and never seen them come back some things had to been swapped, but its just that. this is what we get from global parts, if you think any other mfg is better go for it. its still the same pile of crap in a different mfg.

bottom line global economy / mfg killed quality. if you think one mfg is better then other your in for a shocker.

for kicks i would see if they have a later calibration for your vehicle. and let them reprogram the vehicle.

but then again getting actually a tech in a dealership that can fix a car is also as hard as finding a good mechanic i see.

i wont even go into the crap **** some dealer did to fix a car, for it to do 300 miles with the same damn problem. and miss diaged/fixed....

Ford's quality today is miles ahead of where it was 5 years ago. And basically all car manufacturers today recall small things quickly after they are discovered after what happened to Toyota. Just stating this, I think some people are getting the wrong idea about Ford. I understand people have trouble with their radiators and it's ridiculous, but imagine how many customer complaints a car company has to deal with.

btw this is why you never buy the first year new model vehicles. why i cant wait for the 2013/14 explorer. that 2011 will have its fair share of flaws.

btw this is why you never buy the first year new model vehicles. why i cant wait for the 2013/14 explorer. that 2011 will have its fair share of flaws.

I doubt the 2011 will have flaws like these seeing as it's built on a shared platform, and Ford's quality has risen greatly.

No, the same dealer did not do all the work as one dealer went out of business back when they couldn't get vehicles. This local dealership has changed owners a dozen times in the last twenty years, literally.

Now, I'm looking at the records and I see where a TSB was performed just prior to changing the radiator (#2) that was changed at 75885. The W.O. says "reprogram PCM per TSB 06-17-13". Since its obviously not talking about June 6, 2013, I'm assuming that this is the number of the TSB but I don't know what this work is designed to do. I do know that they charged me $100 to do it. That's good, charge me a hundred dollars to fix their problem.

Here in lies the problem. The instant the warranty runs out, they act like they've never seen your vehicle before. They act like it doesn't have Ford written all over it. They feel like their obligation is finished and to hell with you until you purchase a new vehicle. On things like TSB's that are designed to remedy problems THEY find with their vehicles, they should do those at no charge.

What I want to know is why they decided to go to an aluminum cored radiator with plastic/fiber tanks and end caps? They use this metal clamp to crimp it together. I think the reason is it's cheaper to produce them. Well, I think they went penny wise pound foolish. If it were to save weight, why not make the tanks and end caps out of aluminum and heliarc them onto the core? This is where the problems are. I've read all kinds of crap from voltages being on the coolant to minerals in the water used to mix with the coolant and it's all BS. The things are leaking at the seam where the plastic/fiber tanks and caps are crimped to the aluminum core. They put a 20 pound pressure cap on the thing as well. I can remember back when the radiators were made of brass and we didn't run a twenty pound cap. Hell, I've got a Snap-On cooling system pressure tester that the gauge turns red at 20 pounds and it tells you not to go any higher. Do they really need to raise the boiing point of the water to approx. 250°? For every pound of pressure put on water the boiling point raises 2°. Twenty pounds of pressure is a lot of pressure on a cooling system.

And talking about quality, I'm an old mechanic. I remember when cars were considered completely worn out at 100,000 miles. Well, I've got one that I can't get fixed and it's only got 90K on it. I can't get a radiator that will last over six months and it cost me $800 every time it springs a leak. This isn't aggrevating, it's outrageous. Oh yeah, the radiator that they installed was the recommended one from what I can find out, 6L2Z8005AD.

Well, I've written to their Customer Relations department and requested that they fix my radiator problem and give me an extended warranty on the radiator only. Just put a stinking radiator in my Ford Explorer so that I can my money's worth out of it. That's all I ask and if they don't do it, they've gotten my last dollar. I'll buy a rice burner. I've got a good friend that just happens to be the GM of a Honda dealership. He's been trying to get out of Ford vehicles for years. He couldn't do it but Ford just might get me out of their junk. I ain't happy about this.

No, the same dealer did not do all the work as one dealer went out of business back when they couldn't get vehicles. This local dealership has changed owners a dozen times in the last twenty years, literally.

Now, I'm looking at the records and I see where a TSB was performed just prior to changing the radiator (#2) that was changed at 75885. The W.O. says "reprogram PCM per TSB 06-17-13". Since its obviously not talking about June 6, 2013, I'm assuming that this is the number of the TSB but I don't know what this work is designed to do. I do know that they charged me $100 to do it. That's good, charge me a hundred dollars to fix their problem.

Here in lies the problem. The instant the warranty runs out, they act like they've never seen your vehicle before. They act like it doesn't have Ford written all over it. They feel like their obligation is finished and to hell with you until you purchase a new vehicle. On things like TSB's that are designed to remedy problems THEY find with their vehicles, they should do those at no charge.

What I want to know is why they decided to go to an aluminum cored radiator with plastic/fiber tanks and end caps? They use this metal clamp to crimp it together. I think the reason is it's cheaper to produce them. Well, I think they went penny wise pound foolish. If it were to save weight, why not make the tanks and end caps out of aluminum and heliarc them onto the core? This is where the problems are. I've read all kinds of crap from voltages being on the coolant to minerals in the water used to mix with the coolant and it's all BS. The things are leaking at the seam where the plastic/fiber tanks and caps are crimped to the aluminum core. They put a 20 pound pressure cap on the thing as well. I can remember back when the radiators were made of brass and we didn't run a twenty pound cap. Hell, I've got a Snap-On cooling system pressure tester that the gauge turns red at 20 pounds and it tells you not to go any higher. Do they really need to raise the boiing point of the water to approx. 250°? For every pound of pressure put on water the boiling point raises 2°. Twenty pounds of pressure is a lot of pressure on a cooling system.

And talking about quality, I'm an old mechanic. I remember when cars were considered completely worn out at 100,000 miles. Well, I've got one that I can't get fixed and it's only got 90K on it. I can't get a radiator that will last over six months and it cost me $800 every time it springs a leak. This isn't aggrevating, it's outrageous. Oh yeah, the radiator that they installed was the recommended one from what I can find out, 6L2Z8005AD.

Well, I've written to their Customer Relations department and requested that they fix my radiator problem and give me an extended warranty on the radiator only. Just put a stinking radiator in my Ford Explorer so that I can my money's worth out of it. That's all I ask and if they don't do it, they've gotten my last dollar. I'll buy a rice burner. I've got a good friend that just happens to be the GM of a Honda dealership. He's been trying to get out of Ford vehicles for years. He couldn't do it but Ford just might get me out of their junk. I ain't happy about this.

you could call ford support and argue a case, i seen people do it, and get it there way. esp when you have a maintenance records that go back over time and threating ford loyalty. just some thoughts, wont be the first phone call, but plead the case, its 1000 miles over but its also when your scheduled maintenance was due at the dealer, most people dont go and check there cars out if everything looks good, they put a key in and drive it.

yes, we called on that radiator change (75885 miles) and got nowhere. This time I"ve written them a letter. If you'll read my original post, this makes twice that the radiator has went bad at less than 1000 miles after the expiration of the warranty, one at 885 over and one at 944 miles over. The one that failed at 12944 was the last replacement, the 6L2Z8005AD radiator with the TSB 06-17-13 which carried a 12 month/12,000 mile warranty. So, what's the deal. I asked to speak to the district service rep and basically said that there was no need in talking with him because he couldn't do anything.

Now,it is a shame a I've only bought Ford vehicles since 1995. I understand about talking to them but since I've done that once before, I don't hold a lot of hope in that. They didn't help me out before, what's different now. I cannot continue to change the radiator every 12,000 even if I use aftermarket radiators at $250 a pop. I'd be better off to scrap the truck and buy a new Japper. I certainly don't want to screw somebody else with it by selling it and representing it as a good vehicle. I did use our local dealership for services until they closed. Then I used another local shop rather than drive thirty miles to another dealership but the truck has been serviced every 3000 miles like clockwork. Now, what is wrong with this one, I don't know and apparently Ford doesn't know either or they wouldn't be having these problems. Hell, you can't even check the level of the fluid in the transmission anymore. You gotta have a $10,000 machine to do that now.

When you read this forum, each repair done by the dealer was between $880 -1500 dollars. If you could know the exact number of EX with the V6, multiply that by 2/3X to replace the radiator for each vehicle. That is a nice profit margin for FORD. Now, think about all the times someone trades their EX for this problem, and the next owner is unaware of this problem. I know the dealers can obtain any repair order on a FORD anywhere in the world if the dealership did the work. Their not going to tell the new owner how many times the radiator was replaced "Here we go again" cash cow !!!!! The 3/36000 warranty is worthless now anyways.

That's exactly what I mean. I'm not a "used car salesman" and I couldn't sleep at night knowing that I had sold a vehicle with an ongoing problem to someone. My conscience would not allow me to do it. I do have the entire Ford service history on my EX. And yes, it cost me $805 to have the radiator exchanged in my EX six months ago. The warranty had only been expired 885 miles. The bad thing about it is the first time my wife took the truck in for the problem, she thought it was a transmission problem. They ran and EEC test and found no codes. They test drove the vehicle and didn't hear the problem. The installed the TSB 16-17-13 and charged her $100. A few days later she said the truck was still doing it so I went out to check the transmission fluid. Guess what, you can't do that anymore either. Well. I started checking everything else and found the radiator, not the plastic reserviour, low on water by about a half gallon. That's when it dawned on me what the problem was. Sure enough, the radiator was leaking. By this time, the warrany was expired on the mileage. So, in reality, the Ford mechanic should have found the problem. Surely this isn't the first EX he's seen that the fan clutch was locking up and making it sound like the engine was running wide open.

Well, I'm waiting on a reply from Ford. But, I have an idea. I'll pay for another radiator and keep a close eye on the mileage. Just before the mileage is up on the warranty. I'll put my cooling system leak tester on the radiator and pump the thing up to about forty pounds and blow the radiator. Then take it back to them to replace it every 11,000 miles.

When you read this forum, each repair done by the dealer was between $880 -1500 dollars. If you could know the exact number of EX with the V6, multiply that by 2/3X to replace the radiator for each vehicle. That is a nice profit margin for FORD. Now, think about all the times someone trades their EX for this problem, and the next owner is unaware of this problem. I know the dealers can obtain any repair order on a FORD anywhere in the world if the dealership did the work. Their not going to tell the new owner how many times the radiator was replaced "Here we go again" cash cow !!!!! The 3/36000 warranty is worthless now anyways.

no only warranty/esp will show up, cash work is to dealer and only in that dealerships system.

so if you are out of warranty, and get it repaired at a ford dealership only that dealership that did the work knows you have it done.

if the work was done under warranty, basic or ford esp, then yes it shows up in history.

Yes, you're right. So since our dealership was closed down for a while during a "change of ownership" we used another dealership in Macon, Ga. I had to go to that dealership and get the records from them as well. Now, I have all the records pertaining to the radiator problems. We had a few other issues but they were resolved to our satisfaction. This radiator thing is a crock though. When you can't get a radiator to last but less than 13,000 miles, there's a problem somewhere.

Wow, my radiator lasted 52,000 miles on my 2007 V8, now it's leaking. I guess that's progress.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bought an 08 Mercury mountaineer 3 years ago. Just had 2nd radiator installed a week ago due 2 effing leaks
187000 miles on it now. Got it with 120000

Back