Anyone Here Ever This Steel Connector For Fuel Filter Connection Before? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anyone Here Ever This Steel Connector For Fuel Filter Connection Before?

HELMUT RONER

Reaction score
City, State
Tampa, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer Sport Trac
800-121-007__ra_p.jpg
800-121-001__ra_p.jpg

With searching for a complete replacement fuel line for my 2002, from the filter to the engine, being virtually impossible I'm looking for an alternative. Has anyone here ever used this type of connector on a fuel line? Am I understanding this correctly that I only need to cut the old/damaged connector off and this one pushes into the hose?

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=633906&jsn=645

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes I've got this connector, it fits on fuel filter. The link to Rock says it is 3/8 inch.NOTE you will need 5/16 inch if your ST 2002 is same as my 2001. Also if you buy Dorman nylon fuel line you will need 3/8 inch to fit it on 5/16 inch fitting and it is difficult from my experience.
At the other end you need a steel to nylon fitting ( Dorman 800-135 compression fitting )
Then you can attach to existing steel line forward of filter.
Check out Amazon they seem to have a lot of dorman fittings for fuel lines.

My 2002 was built 07/2002. March 4, 2002 they went to the filter that uses 3/8 input and output ports (Motorcraft 1036). There are 2 ports on the input side of the filter. The smaller port sends excess fuel back to the tank. Then there's a single 3/8 out to the engine and that is the connector I need to replace.

Right then looks like you have found the correct fitting. Mine is only one inlet, on filter and I'm 5/16 in and out.
This fitting is tight on filter (ie good fit) to release you push black plastic towards fitting, no need for release tools.

Now it won't come off

12717742_10153493615708178_7467386700203220472_n.jpg

It clicked on with hardly any effort. Now the damn thing won't come off. Even a couple of buddies tried for several minutes trying to fight with it and lost. The built-in release now feels like it's about to break from trying to force it. A fuel release tool won't fit on it, either.

I've just checked my fitting (5/16 inch) and it clicks in well and pushing black plastic into fitting it releases no problem.
Could it be they sent you 5/16 instead of 3/8 ? I'd guess that's your problem !
Your other option is leave it and fit 'as is ' and get new fitting for use later when you have to change filter.
If you're anything like me though, I'd be brassed off till I got it performing as it should, as said before look on Amazon they also have same part in plastic. I've got them also and they are as good as steel part, separating easily.

5/16 connector won't fit on a 3/8 filter. I test fitted them at the parts counter. I bought the connector at a NAPA store. It was sealed, never opened. The 3/8 just will not come back off.

Take it back and ask store to separate them, if they can't they should replace for working connector.

On my sport trac, I needed two different sized connectors. If there is a pick n pull (aka salvage yard) look for any second Gen explorer or sport trac and just clip the fuel lines and harvest the connectors.

FYI, fitting these connectors onto the fuel lines is a giant pain! It took me forever to get just one connector on. I had to get a pair of long nose pliers and jam them into the hose, then I would open the pliers and muscle it until I stretched the hose out enough to fit the connector. The hard part is that you don't want the hose to stretch too loose, but its almost impossible to fit the hose on over all three barbs on the connector. I literally had sore hands and shoulders after I got done cramming that connector onto the hose.

Back