Anyone here have a 4-cyl 4x4 Ranger? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anyone here have a 4-cyl 4x4 Ranger?

ncranchero

Co-moderator
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Denver,NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 F150 XLT 4x4
Looking for satisfaction/dis-satisfaction & pros/cons points.

I know compromised power will be a con issue but how bad are they? Any you getting 18/25 mpg as I have seen posted?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, not a daily driver rather a week-end driver or something like that. I have a company vehicle as my daily driver. IDK as far as year. Looking for feedback on any/all I guess.

I'll move this to the other forum.

...Huge fan of the 95-97 Ranger 4 cyl. 2.3L 4x4 here...:salute:

..Hoping others will jump in and share as I am really biased as I think it's one of the best all around compact 4x4's ever made..:bounce:

..But I'm kinda goofy like that..:confused:

They're kinda scarce around here, even the late 80-early 90 models. My 2.0L Transit Connect is making me consider a 4-banger Ranger 4x4 though.

I had an 81 Toyota 4x4 and liked it. I'm real partial to Fords though.

I have 2 different Rangers, 84 & 90. The 84 is a 4wd,LB, 2.3 5speed and it gets around 23 highway, with P235's on it. It is also 3.73 geared. The 90 is a SB, 2wd, 5 speed, 3.45 gear axle and gets around 27 highway, with stupid little 215/70/14's on it. I actually PREFER the 4wd, even with the drop in MPG, as it is more useful for the times that I need a small truck vice one of the big ones, or the "X". The only "real" gripe on the 4wd is that I am missing the power that it used to make when it was Turbo.

...Huge fan of the 95-97 Ranger 4 cyl. 2.3L 4x4 here...:salute:

..Hoping others will jump in and share as I am really biased as I think it's one of the best all around compact 4x4's ever made..:bounce:

..But I'm kinda goofy like that..:confused:

Been going through your registry thread as I have time. I don't think i have seen any 4 cylinder 4x4 Rangers for sale newer than 1990. Think there is much difference in the power of the old 2.3L's and the 8 plug revisions?

Backwoods, yours didn't come turbo did it? Did you Turbo Coupe it? At 23 highway there would be no advantage over the 2.9L V-6. My 86 Bronco II would easily do that.

..First, I easily get 18/25 with the truck fully loaded w/ 4.10 gears and 32's..The worst I have ever got was 15 mpg all city, cold start driving fully loaded and before any mods...;)

..My thoughts from another thread on the 2.3L Rangers..:popcorn:

..The 2.3L you have is a relatively indestructible, low maintenance motor. People just are scared to see a 4 cylinder motor with 8 plugs and 2 coil packs..

..I've put about 100,000 miles in the last 4 years on mine (currently 250,000) which includes daily work hauling tools/materials duty and beating on it off road pretty regular. Major problems in that time was 1 timing belt (normal Life about 60,000 miles) and 2 coil packs cause I busted one off somewhere down the road..

.. I am about due for a clutch, plugs and wires as mine were new about 4 years ago..

..I've literally had fluids venting out of several tubes over the course that I've owned it (all while off roading) and other than swapping the fluids, no problems yet...

..I probably have 4 oil changes in the last 4 years too..Honestly, I still don't know of a more reliable, low maintenance vehicle and motor that can take such abuse.

...The 8 plug 2.3L has more horsepower as the second set of plugs are for a second burn of fuel during the combustion while also making a cleaner burn..

..There are a few more mods I could do to add more HP and better mileage but adding a turbo 2.3L had crossed my mine a couple times...I just don't think it would last long on the desert trails I travel..:(

...My truck came stock with what they used to call the "Hi-Rider" (lift) package...It also came with twin sticks, 4.10's, open both ends, and the dreaded hybrid Dana 35..:thumbdwn:..But it had manual hubs..:D

..As for fun, I can race and beat 4.0's and heeps..:p:..The only thing this truck hates is big hills on the hwy...Doing my best to keep up at 40mph sucks...that's why mine will soon get 4:88's and 33's..;)

...If you ever have some free time and see SVO online, pick his brain on the 2.3L...He truly knows more than anyone should about a 2.3L and any and all configurations...:salute:

Just a FYI, the Highrider lift package (AKA SportRider toward the end) was fully dead by the '93 model (actually it probably was dead right after the 1989 Suzuki Samurai Consumer Reports fiasco that kindof snagged Ford's BII somewhat right at the end as well).

You'd know a Highrider/Sportrider truck as it would have factory riveted-in (not bolted-in) extension drops on the radius arm crossmember (much like the dropdowns that come in aftermarket lift kits). ;)

...I apologize for not further elaborating the differences of the defunct before my model year "Hi rider package" and what I was referring to that which came on my truck stock..

...I could have also said it's like an "STX" package but I'm sure someone would be sure to correct that also..:rolleyes:

..I am ashamed I hadn't follpwed up on my original post earlier and likewise about mis representing in my haste, but thank you for correcting me and sharing your thoughts on your 2.3L...:biggthump

Ive got a 4x4 2.5 4cyl Ranger

Morning Ive got a 2.5 td ranger and I am quite happy with the power and 27ish mpg. Cheers Bollins

Morning Ive got a 2.5 td ranger and I am quite happy with the power and 27ish mpg. Cheers Bollins

:wavey: Bollings. As I mentioned in your other thread. Please send your TD Ranger to meeeee! :D:D

...I apologize for not further elaborating the differences of the defunct before my model year "Hi rider package" and what I was referring to that which came on my truck stock..

...I could have also said it's like an "STX" package but I'm sure someone would be sure to correct that also..:rolleyes:

..I am ashamed I hadn't follpwed up on my original post earlier and likewise about mis representing in my haste, but thank you for correcting me and sharing your thoughts on your 2.3L...:biggthump

:scratch: :confused:

Not sure I follow your response or if that was even directed at me (I don't have a 2.3)...

The STX package continued on thru '97, however the factory 1.5" lift option was only a mid-late '80s thing. After that the STX suspension was the same as the XLT and others.

I am almost positive that 89 was the last year of the factory lift, whether it was called Highrider or Sport Rider.

Back