Anyone here own a 2nd gen and 3rd gen? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anyone here own a 2nd gen and 3rd gen?

svt4cam

Reaction score
City, State
The Wilds of New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 XLT, 02 Sport, 03 XLT
We have had a 03 gen 3rd 4.0 xlt 4x4 since new. A couple of months ago we bought a 2nd gen 2000 xlt 4.0 sohc 4x4 with 179,000 miles for my daughter's college car. Turned out it had some rather expensive issues, I just replaced the trans with a jasper reman,which I didn't expect, upper control arms, shocks, tires and an alignment, which I expected and a tune up. Anyhow my question is our 3rd gen seems much smoother, more powerful and civilized engine and suspension wise. Were the 3rd gen's that much of an improvement over the second gen's or are the Engine noise and minor vibration. Plus the hay wagon ride a characteristic of the 2nd gen?

Thanks Steve

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the 2nd gen is more of a "truck" design, with a solid rear axle, and torsion bar front end.
the 3rd gen is irs, and coil sprung, so it rides much more like a car.

as far as the engine goes, they are rather similar, both sohc in your case, power should be rather similar.

The engine on the 2nd gen just doesn't seem as quiet, powerful or isolated as the 3rd gen. If that's how it's supposed to be than it's all good. if not than maybe I need to be thinking about injectors after I run the injector cleaner through it. No mechanical clatter or anything just not smooth like the 3rd gen which has 130,x.. on it.

i wouldnt worry about it.
they did make several improvements to the 3rd gens just to make them seem smoother and again, more car like.
i wouldnt sweat it, im sure yours is fine, as long as it idles fine, and never runs "rough" or dies, it should be ok.
the seemingly less power may be due to the tranny

Thanks for your replies, New trans performs well, no slippage and kicks down when it's supposed to engine idles well no stalling or CEL's after replacing plugs and wires (cylinder 3 wire had an abrasion and was shorting intermittently). Hopefully injector cleaner will restore a little power. Just seems like if you are in od on the freeway and going up a slight incline it doesn't have as much torque as the 3rd gen.

Steve

has the v6 on the 2 gen, had its timing chain issue taken care of ? they get where the guides wear out and start clattering and making a bunch of noise. I had a 2001 with the 4.0 and I offed it at 90,000 miles it started the timing chain rattle and I didn`t feel like pulling the motor to fix both timing chains

not all have the timing chain issue, so i wouldnt ask if it been taken care of, cuz there very well might be no issue at all.
many people go over 200k on the sohc, and never have timing chain problems at all.

again, i think the more torquey feel of the third gen might be because of a better tuned tranny from factory.

i have had both now and i ahve to say i miss my 2000 straight piped with a cold air intake i hit 17 flat at the track with my system and hids going

2003 I'm assuming it has had the timing chain recall done. Engine runs and idles quietly, no racket. I was driving it yesterday and I believe it may need to have the throttle cable adjusted per 2000 street rods mod. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=248731 It just feels like the gas pedal is not adjusted correctly

Back