Anyone here watch American Hot Rod? | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations
  • Register Today It's free!

Anyone here watch American Hot Rod?

MyExpWork

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Camarillo, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 4-door 4X4 XLT
Why does Boyd Coddington hate Chip Foose?

I know Chip used to work (President) at Coddington's compnay and designed many cars for Boyd, but why does Boyd hate Chip?

What happened?

It seems to me (just from watching the show) that everyone that has left Boyd Coddington, all of sudden becomes his mortal enemy.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

jimcom

Elite Stocker
Reaction score
City, State
Columbia, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLS
Jealousy. :thumbdwn:

DirtyDog

I will not!
Reaction score
City, State
Alberta,Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
15 Sport
jimcom said:
Jealousy. :thumbdwn:

I agree. Chip builds the cars, Boyd just signs his name on them. And Chip is WAY more talented than Boyd by a long shot.

Positive Vibes

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Santa Cruz, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
DirtyDog said:
I agree. Chip builds the cars, Boyd just signs his name on them. And Chip is WAY more talented than Boyd by a long shot.

There has to be more than that! And how could Chip have built cars without Boyd, the money has to come from somewhere.

Jag

Reaction score
City, State
Omaha, Nebraska
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT Sport
Hey, Chip also got a good painter from Boyd....Charlie. I think he was the only sane employee Boyd had.......wish I could paint half as good.

:)

Hartman

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Indianapolis, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 5.0
Chip used to be on Boyds crew, and Chip went out on his own and Boyd didn't like that apparently. They left on bad terms. Boyd claims that Chip tries to manipulate his crew to come work for Chip.

Boyd is an ####### for one. His business is so terribly run and he is blind to so many issues.

huskyfan23

Rah no Hans Bwix
Reaction score
City, State
WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT 4x4
Boyd is jealous Chip's cars always outdue his, same for Chip's show (Overhaul'n). I heard what Hartman stated.. Chip used to be the president of Boyd's company or something like that. Keep in mind this is reality TV, people, so don't believe everything you see. Boyd is a dick though.

Webster3

Mr. Ed
Reaction score
City, State
Atco, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 Sport
Agreed. Boyd is just a baby for acting the way he is about Charlie leaving. I just hope Charlie sticks to his guns and leaves. It seems he has some strong ties there, but it sounds like he's trying to do what's best for his marriage and his family... if Boyd can't understand that he's the worst kind of jerk there is.

I like Chip Foose, I really think he enjoys doing stuff like Overhaulin, not just for the money... maybe I'm wrong... but I feel he's genuine.

Ed

Hartman

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Indianapolis, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 5.0
Boyd has no respect for his crew.

IAmTodd

4x Explorer Veteran
Reaction score
City, State
Johnstown, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Jeep
I hate the show. Boyd has no respect for anyone/anything. I'll watch overhaulin' or Rides anytime over American Hot Rod. Seems played out just like American Chopper.

jasonb

Jackstand Wheeler
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Suwanee, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Sport 4x4
i'll give the goons on amer choppers about 3 more years of having any vision.

00sport4x4

Reaction score
City, State
Elyria, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ranger FX4 Level 2
jasonb said:
i'll give the goons on amer choppers about 3 more years of having any vision.

Are you referring to the fact that they all like to spot weld without eye protection??? I've burnt my eyes spot welding with a mig welder. expensive mistake. Boyds a ##### in a bad shirt,,I hope Charlie and chip win that award they are going after.

Gimp

Reaction score
City, State
The Beach
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 F150 XLT SuperCrew
Chip Foose used to work for Boyd Coddington (as did the legendary Jesse James) and Chip was the design genius behind Boyd's custom wheels and hot rods like the Boydster I and II. In the early '90s, Boyd was doing so well with his wheel business that hot rods came to account for only about 20% of his work. His company went public and everyone was living large. Then in the mid- to late '90s, a combination of things happened. The two biggest were that the custom wheel market began going soft while Boyd's was still cranking out the wheels and accumulating large inventories, and then a nationwide chain of speed shops (can't remember the name right now) that was Boyds Wheels largest customer - and holding large amounts of unpaid-for Boyds inventory - went bankrupt. Boyds Wheels stock price plummeted and (supposedly) in an effort to save the company, Boyd put Chip in as president. I am one of those who believes that Boyd was put Chip in as president to have someone to lay the blame on. Long story short, Boyds Wheels got taken over (mostly by creditors) and Boyd, having had most of his assets tied up in Boyds Wheels stock, lost a huge bundle and filed for bankruptcy protection. In losing the wheel company, he also lost the rights to the names "Boyds" and "Coddington's" as they relate to hot rod parts and wheels. This is why after legal wrangling, lawsuits and compromise, on the AHR shows you see the pinstriper painting "Boyd Coddington's Garage" on the hot rod creations. When Boyds closed down, Chip opened a design business and many of the Boyds employees followed him. Boyd pulled himself up, dusted himself off, got some backing, and went back into the hot rod building business.

Boyd Coddington appears to me to be the type of guy I could never have worked for while Chip Foose, on the other hand, seems like he would be very enjoyable to work for and more of a hands-on guy.

MyExpWork

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Camarillo, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 4-door 4X4 XLT
Gimp said:
Chip Foose used to work for Boyd Coddington (as did the legendary Jesse James) and Chip was the design genius behind Boyd's custom wheels and hot rods like the Boydster I and II. In the early '90s, Boyd was doing so well with his wheel business that hot rods came to account for only about 20% of his work. His company went public and everyone was living large. Then in the mid- to late '90s, a combination of things happened. The two biggest were that the custom wheel market began going soft while Boyd's was still cranking out the wheels and accumulating large inventories, and then a nationwide chain of speed shops (can't remember the name right now) that was Boyds Wheels largest customer - and holding large amounts of unpaid-for Boyds inventory - went bankrupt. Boyds Wheels stock price plummeted and (supposedly) in an effort to save the company, Boyd put Chip in as president. I am one of those who believes that Boyd was put Chip in as president to have someone to lay the blame on. Long story short, Boyds Wheels got taken over (mostly by creditors) and Boyd, having had most of his assets tied up in Boyds Wheels stock, lost a huge bundle and filed for bankruptcy protection. In losing the wheel company, he also lost the rights to the names "Boyds" and "Coddington's" as they relate to hot rod parts and wheels. This is why after legal wrangling, lawsuits and compromise, on the AHR shows you see the pinstriper painting "Boyd Coddington's Garage" on the hot rod creations. When Boyds closed down, Chip opened a design business and many of the Boyds employees followed him. Boyd pulled himself up, dusted himself off, got some backing, and went back into the hot rod building business.

Boyd Coddington appears to me to be the type of guy I could never have worked for while Chip Foose, on the other hand, seems like he would be very enjoyable to work for and more of a hands-on guy.

Excellent info. :thumbsup:

But why does Boyd hate Chip so much? It seems that Boyd blames Chip for alot of Boyd's downfall and demise, or at least an attempt to cause.

Gimp

Reaction score
City, State
The Beach
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 F150 XLT SuperCrew
I can only assume that Boyd hates Chip so much because, in Boyd's mind, Chip caused the downfall of his company. In the minds of many stockholders though, saw Chip as the "white knight" riding in to try to save a company that was already beyond saving.

I was also informed by my wife (who happens to be one of those whose stock in BYDS [Boyds Wheels] became worthless) that Boyd's hot rods nowadays are signed "Boyd Coddington's Garage" because he lost the rights to, and cannot use his former slogan, "Hot Rods by Boyd".

Flounder

Owns 10,000 Marbles
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Pennsylvania
Year, Model & Trim Level
'17 F-150 FX4
I'm resurrecting this because I saw the episode where "Charlie" leaves Boyd's business.

Boyd is an #######. Plain and simple. I have never seen such arrogance and rudeness when dealing with a guy who is trying to move onto better things.

"Charlie is stupid." - Boyd Coddington

If anything, this episode was a series' attempt to slander without slandering directly Chip Foose. The other guy, "they manipulate," etc.

My only question - who was the blonde at the end who was all emotional? Was this Coddington's wife or Charlie's lay on the side? Why does she care so much?

Oh well, that's all. Here's to dragging a thread from the dead. :chug:

TexasX03

Reaction score
City, State
Plano, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 XLT
The blonde is Boyd's current wife; I think her name is Joy or Joyce. The back story is that Charlie was discovered by Boyd who brought him to California from some small town in Montana or Wyoming (I think). Charlie lived with Boyd and his wife for two years during which time they became very close friends. I can only speculate about why she was so upset, but there was certainly some sense of betrayal from her.

I agree that Boyd only seems to care about himself with no regard for the people working for him. On the other hand, I often wonder how much of the pressure and tight schedules are contrived for the benefit of the show. I guess they'd only attract hardcore motorheads if they focused on the build and the skills required to complete these cars.