Anyone ID these timing guide parts? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anyone ID these timing guide parts?

chefduane

Texas Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Plano, TX.
Year, Model & Trim Level
None: SOLD 9/16
All,
I found these timing chain guide parts the other day when I did a pan drop on my '98 SOHC 4x. I am not sure if they are from the primary tensioner or the balance shaft. The brown pieces are plastic and the two black curved pieces are metal, like spring metal. Once ID'd, anyone have any input on how to proceed? More than likely an engine pull and fix all the guides, eh? With 200k on her I'm not sure it's worth the trouble. She starts fine with minimal rattle and once oil pressure comes up she runs flawlessly. No rattle at all when idling. I'm using Mobil-1 5w-30 Hi-Mileage with changes every 6k as a preventative measure.
Thanks for any feedback.

Attachments

• OilPan.jpg
    OilPan.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 167
  • GuideParts1.jpg
    GuideParts1.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 158
  • GuideParts2.jpg
    GuideParts2.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 160

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks like just the main tensioner which is under the main cover.

Engine protection

How about oil changes every 3k, for preventative?

I agree

The photo below shows the old (original) primary chain tensioner on the right.
Tensioners.jpg

The upper half of the plastic guide that holds the leaves is in the bottom of the pan shown in the first post. I don't remember any forum member reporting engine damage due to a failed primary chain tensioner except when pieces blocked the oil pickup tube screen. When I had my engine apart I could not slip the primary chain with my hands even when the tensioner was not installed. My primary chain tensioner was broken the entire time I did my custom tune (multiple uphill WOT runs to 6200 rpm) and had no problems. Many members have driven their vehicles for years with a broken primary chain tensioner. However, in my opinion the hardest thing about replacing the tensioner is removing and installing the harmonic dampener. There is no camshaft timing involved. The water pump can be left attached to the timing cover which saves some time and a gasket. I didn't replace my front cover seal but was careful to reinstall the cover in the original position.

So is the primary chain tensioner is the one that tensions the crankshaft to jackshaft chain? I am not experiencing any oil pressure issues and have not noticed any other pieces when doing oil changes, and, in reading 2KSR's very comprehensive posts on this (thanks, btw) it seems like as long as I don't have any chunks of plastic blocking any oil galleries, this may be a problem I can live with. As I said above, at 200k I'd expect the old gal to show some age. Other than pulling the primary cover and installed a tensioner kit (which I am not experienced enough to do) any other things I can do to limit additional damage?

So is the primary chain tensioner is the one that tensions the crankshaft to jackshaft chain?

That's what happened with my old XLT.
I put all new parts in and am running that engine in my Limited.

Back