Anyone in the Tampa,FL Area With a code reader?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anyone in the Tampa,FL Area With a code reader??

bullinerfamily

Reaction score
City, State
Murray,KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 xlt 4dr
i am having alot of trouble with my 92 ford explorer, and had seen on another post that most local auto parts stores do free code reading so i brought my truck in and they told me they only do 97's and up. So i am here asking if anyone lives in the tampa ,fl area that might be able to help me out??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to this forum! Autozone should be able to do it for free. You could also PM Glacier991. He loans out tools like this. He's in Sacramento, CA. You would have to pay the shipping both ways though. I'm sure that he would lend it to you if Autozone wouldn't do it. You could also buy an inexpensive code reader for about $50,which reads your EEC IV codes. It's a good investment. I bought one from JC Whitney.

thanks for the tip

i will try autozone as i have tried advance auto and had to be a 97 or newer and napa said they dont even have equipment to scan. please keep helpful comments coming as i will post when i finally get the codes read and thanks again

If all else fails and you can't find access to a code reader(a scanner is for later models) you can use a multimeter to read the codes.You can also use the check engine light using a jumper wire.You might search on here for the directions to do so.If you can't find them, me or someone could probably post how to do it.

Got code reader,Heres the codes

i went out and bought a ford obd 1 code scanner, there were no koeo codes, but there were 2 koer codes which were 538 and 536 , can someone please help me to figure out what to do now?? please

KOER 538 and 536 are almost always operator error during the KOER test. 538 means you neglected the "goose" test, and 536 means you neglected to press the brake after engine id was output. I'm not sure how good the instructions are that came with your code reader. You might review the instructions at fordfuelinjection.com as noted above. I posted a few notes to supplement the basic instructions in the EEC-IV forum title "notes on pulling EEC-IV codes".

If, after getting the test protocol correct, you end up with all pass (111) codes, then the EEc-IV computer can't see the problem, and we'll have to approach it based solely on the symptoms you're experiencing.

have to go to work

i have to go to work now but 1st thing in the morning when i get off i will try it again as in the book that came with the scanner said i didnt have to press the brake or the gas pedals unless the scanner showed me to ,which it didnt, i will try again in the morning and post soon after with results. thanks again for all the help

BrooklynBay said:
Thanks for posting that link. It has a lot of useful information.

Your welcome, but I can't take the credit.I think I found that after following a link posted by MrShorty on another post somewhere.But yes it does have a lot of helpful info.

Fed up, Took to Mechanic

Let me just start by saying thank you to everyone for helping. I got very lucky today, i searched online in superpages for a local mechanic and found only 1 mechanic that had a user review which was excellent. so i called him and took my explorer down to his shop, after talking with him for about an hour or so about everything that has been going on, we went out and looked under the hood. within 5 min he figured out the problem, would not suggest doing this yourself though. he took a screwdriver and inserted it into the spark plug wires coming off the coil pack and noticed one of them had very little spark. He told me i needed a new coil pack and asked me if i wanted him to do the work or if i wanted to do it myself. he then went on to actually tell me it is very simple and i would save alot of money doing it myself. so without a fight i agreed. all he asked for was 10.00 !!!! WOW 10.00 for over an hour of his time and finding the problem. i went to my local auto parts store and bought the coil pack and 4 screws later and an electrical connection My explorer doesnt pop anymore has more power than i have ever experienced with this truck and get this The transmission works perfectly. this whole time i thought the trannie was bad but the coil pack had screwed up the whole truck.

for anyone her locally in the Tampa,Fl area :

Thunder & Lightning Automotive
Bill Hand ASE Certified Master Auto Technician
3320 Bay to Bay Blvd
Tampa,Fl 33629
813-839-8877

I'm glad you finally figured out your problem.It's good you found an honest mechanic.They seem to be few and far between these days or so I've heard.I can't say I have any experience with them.I've been lucky in over 25yrs of driving I've never took my car,truck or motorcycle to a shop for anything other than exhaust work.I now have a torch and pipe bender so I do that too.My youngest son had the tranny rebuilt on my explorer while he was driving it,although I knew nothing about it at the time LOL! No harm no foul I guess...Good luck with your truck.

One thing that usually causes a lack of power is a dirty mass air flow sensor. A lot of shops, and dealerships try to talk you into buying a new one when all you would have to do is just clean it out. Even though your truck seems fine, I would also suggest cleaning your MAF sensor. Could you go back to that shop, and tell him that his advice helped you? Tell him that you gave a recommendation for his shop on this website. I would also suggest posting another recommendation for him in the same place that you first saw his positive feedback. Tell him about that too, and the reason why you first chose his shop. Maybe he will join our website. We could always use some knowledgeable people here that are honest. That is what makes our website special.

Wow, thanks a million for the suggestion. Will remember that well especially since I have a Check Engine light on now.

newc5188 said:
Wow, thanks a million for the suggestion. Will remember that well especially since I have a Check Engine light on now.
It's a good idea to scan your system first to find out exactly what is causing that check engine light. It doesn't hurt to clean the MAF anyway. That could also show a light if it is really fouled up. I've also heard about some people getting a no start condition on some older GMs (I think in the 80's) when it was really dirty. When they unplugged it, the car started again. If they plugged it back in, they had the no start condition again. I'm not sure if that would apply to the Fords, or the newer ones.

Back