• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Anyone install an Alpine 8" touchscreen in their GEN 4?

PUR PONY

Reaction score
City, State
CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 LTD, 96 XLT, & 98 XLT
Looking at replacing my 2008 factory Nav with a new Alpine 8" Nav.

Just wondering if anyone has installed one of these in a GEN 4?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20. Gets rid of the ads!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

PUR PONY

Reaction score
City, State
CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 LTD, 96 XLT, & 98 XLT
well the 8" Alpine is on order along with the PAC wiring harness to keep my rear seat entertainment working with the new headunit.

Cant wait to install it. Now i just have to wait until my new Explorer shows up!

Scorpion8

Reaction score
City, State
SouthEast Alaska
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer XLT
Now i just have to wait until my new Explorer shows up!
Time to hone up your photo skills and make sure we get some great photos of the installation!

PUR PONY

Reaction score
City, State
CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 LTD, 96 XLT, & 98 XLT
Will do. got the radio, got the truck- now i just need to order the correct wiring adapter and get to installing.

Will post pics when im working on it hopefully next week.

PUR PONY

Reaction score
City, State
CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 LTD, 96 XLT, & 98 XLT
havnt had time to pull my original Nav out yet to investigate some of the plugs on the back, but i plan on using the original ford gps and sirius antennas.
Poked around online yesterday when i had a few mins and come up with these parts needed (hopefully they are correct)

Ended up ordering these different wiring harnesses and adapters.

Ford GPS antenna to Kenwood/Alpine radio - Fakra SMB H male plug to HRS GT5-1S grey jack 15cm RG174 pigtail for GPS Antenna | eBay

Ford Sirius/XM antenna to aftermarket Sirius module - https://www.amazon.com/Eightwood-Sa...words=fakra+K+to+sirius&qid=1573832117&sr=8-1

Radio harness to work with original steering wheel buttons and Rear Entertainment - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0072LCXW8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

this should make the new radio/nav all plug and play

PUR PONY

Reaction score
City, State
CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 LTD, 96 XLT, & 98 XLT
started installing and playing around but ran out of time so not going to get this up and running until sunday. Here are a few pics. Out with the old and in with the new!

PUR PONY

Reaction score
City, State
CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 LTD, 96 XLT, & 98 XLT
so i finally got the 8" Alpine installed. Kind or a pain in the butt. Radio fits in with little problems but the wiring is the big issue as there is not enough room behind the radio in the dash to fit anything. I needed to cut and lengthen all the RCA input/out put cables for the alpine harness by a foot. I also wish i extended the main power harness wires for the Alpine at least 6" but didnt. I was able to snake the oem plugs towards the drivers side down into the dash. Then i installed all the new wiring below being the heat/ac controls where there is plenty of room.

I was about to source the adapter plugs which allowed me to use the original oem gps and sirius antennas. I skipped trying to use the oem microphone and just installed the alpine mic in the upper drivers side a-pillar like ive done with all my other vehicles.

The larger screen i think really updates the look of the interior. So far i like it and working well.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Anyone install one of these?? Explorer Audio & Navigation 0
P Anyone install an OEM Sirius Antenna in an older Ex? How about Nav? Explorer Audio & Navigation 0
E anyone install XM on a 2003 X Explorer Audio & Navigation 1
M Does anyone know how to install an MTX THUNDERFORM? Or have intructions to install it Explorer Audio & Navigation 13
M anyone tried one of these plug & play direct replacement head units? Explorer Audio & Navigation 11
B Anyone use the OBDII Bluetooth Units? Explorer Audio & Navigation 4
G Aftermarket audio idea- anyone tried this? Explorer Audio & Navigation 6
F Anyone buy an ebay chinese android head unit? Explorer Audio & Navigation 9
D Anyone looking for sub system 2004? Explorer Audio & Navigation 0
H Anyone with a 2008 explorer with a system? Explorer Audio & Navigation 0
B anyone good at Explorer Audio & Navigation 10
S anyone familiar with the '01-ish dual media explorer radios ? Explorer Audio & Navigation 3
G Anyone know which cable this is? Explorer Audio & Navigation 0
D Does anyone know what this wire is for? Explorer Audio & Navigation 3
R anyone got a 2006-2007 explorer navigation for sale Explorer Audio & Navigation 0
L Does anyone know of a hole i can use to pass my power cable for my amp Explorer Audio & Navigation 6
8 Anyone ever used one of these sub enclosures or built their own? Explorer Audio & Navigation 7
8 Does anyone know what plug this is for? Explorer Audio & Navigation 9
5 Anyone interested in a Dashcam? Explorer Audio & Navigation 2
P 4th Order Bandpass Anyone? Explorer Audio & Navigation 0
Equnoxe Anyone Running Dual-Alternators? Explorer Audio & Navigation 76
Tbars4 Flo TV anyone??? Explorer Audio & Navigation 1
F Zed anyone? Explorer Audio & Navigation 2
Y Anyone heard of LA Sound? Explorer Audio & Navigation 5
D Anyone have experience with the Alpine Power Pack? Explorer Audio & Navigation 6
T Anyone Using the JVC KW-XG700 HU? Explorer Audio & Navigation 0
fyrfyter612 Any luck with theses anyone? Explorer Audio & Navigation 3
O Stock Sub box with aftermarket sub in 02-05??? Anyone? Explorer Audio & Navigation 1
jrford Anyone have the pinouts for 02-03 Premium Radio Sub woofer? Explorer Audio & Navigation 3
9 to anyone with a 10" sub in the cargo pocket of a gen2 Explorer Audio & Navigation 13
millerman23 Free Box Buildup for anyone in East Central Indiana!!! Explorer Audio & Navigation 5
D Has anyone used Volfenhag subs??? Explorer Audio & Navigation 4
adrnlnrush Anyone with an 08 ST with factory Nav Explorer Audio & Navigation 0
4 Anyone need some really nice speakers cheap? Explorer Audio & Navigation 21
L Does anyone know anything about '97 Mountaineer speakers? Explorer Audio & Navigation 18
B Anyone have experience with this before? Explorer Audio & Navigation 4
F sweet deal on 5x7 plates, anyone used em? Explorer Audio & Navigation 2
F anyone have a current crutchfield coupon? Explorer Audio & Navigation 4
wharriso Has Anyone Installed A Valor Monitor?? Explorer Audio & Navigation 2
B Anyone has these? KFC-P680C Explorer Audio & Navigation 7
G anyone have a kicker cvr10:Good???---what amp?? Explorer Audio & Navigation 4
G Does anyone else think factory (audophile) h/u sounded better than Alpine? 2004 3.gen Explorer Audio & Navigation 10
I Anyone have an '07/'08 and had teh door panels off yet? Explorer Audio & Navigation 4
R Does anyone know what this part is? Where to get it? Explorer Audio & Navigation 10
Pipelayer Does anyone know the stock speaker sizes in the 2000 Ford Explorer ??? Explorer Audio & Navigation 6
D I Need Radio Help!!! Can Anyone Help? Explorer Audio & Navigation 2
J Anyone know the size of the auxillary input? Explorer Audio & Navigation 3
B Pioneer's new AVIC-D3 - anyone installed in an Explorer? Explorer Audio & Navigation 25
W anyone know if these are any good Explorer Audio & Navigation 19
R Anyone manage to get an 8" speaker in their door? 06 explorer Explorer Audio & Navigation 13