Anyone interested in a DIY body lift kit? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anyone interested in a DIY body lift kit?

im almost done making my lift kit and will be puting it in soon, and was wondering if anyone would be interested in plans (list of parts).

it would be 1-3 inches and would be up to $50.

questions?:thumbsup::thumbdwn:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hockey pucks tend to break down very quickly, even more so when under pressure. Rubber is way to brittle. A couple years from now, you'll look under neath and see a few of them have crumbled into nothing. Body lift blocks are CHEAP.

Even here in Canada they are like $3 maybe $4 for a proper poly body lift spacer. So. $25 or $30 plus bolts... pretty cheap lift... and no dangerous hockey pucks.

Body Lift Stuff in Canada

Or if you have to "build your own" check out this stuff

Poly Plastic

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

so the main point is that after being left outside and neglected for a couple years they start to crack and fall out? id hope people would be more aware of their vehicle then to let it come to that lol.

sounds more like raw neglect then part failure...

and even if it does start to deteriorate, then ill just put some new ones in... any real reasons?

So really... you're going to replace body lift pucks every once in a while rather than just spend 10 or 20 extra dollars?

Raw Neglect...that would be using unsafe parts to modify your rig.

Go ahead, put cheap, useless **** in your truck. Just don't encourage other people to do it. The discussion has been had, the point has been made. If you want to run it and deal with the frustration of your shoddy workmanship wearing out prematurely, then go ahead. But seriously, being that cheap is just ignorant.

That one reason is good enough.

You also might be surprised when it comes to making those bumper brackets accurately. Just a heads up for you. The grade 8 bolts, brackets front and rear, and steering extension are going to be a challenge for 50.00.
I think you will come in close to the kits already available, however, you have the opportunity to provide a kit with proper bumper brackets.

thats more you opinion then anything. I don't find it frustrating to work on my truck at all. many other people have shown interest, and if you have nothing better to do then flame, nobody wants to hear it :). didn't mean to make you angry lol.

the brackets for the front and rear are made out of 3/8 plate an grade 8 bolts. didn't cost a lot. not sure if grade 5 and 1/2 would be good enough. they were easy to make too.

+would also like to remind everyone that im not encouraging people to do this. its merely meant to be a discussion for those tho are interested. group experiment if you will :)

when you said pucks I thought you where referring to the real lift blocks not hockey pucks. What we lost the olympics and now there is a run on hockey pucks?

cmon man for 30 bucks in blocks you can have enough to do a 1.5" body lift...

hockey pucks?.... really..?

geesh...

I for one applaud you for trying to work a better deal, but those guys out there are good, and rarely can you beat them at their game. So, try not to get your emotions hurt when you ask for opinions and don't get the opinions you desire. As an innovator you'd better get used to it.

crank them?

shackle it and crank the t bars. Much less work than a body lift and cheaper.

what exactly do you mean, Crank the torsion bars?

when you said pucks I thought you where referring to the real lift blocks not hockey pucks. What we lost the olympics and now there is a run on hockey pucks?

cmon man for 30 bucks in blocks you can have enough to do a 1.5" body lift...

hockey pucks?.... really..?

geesh...

I'm in the same boat and thought you had bought the actual body lift blocks, either way I'm still interested in your right up and the length of bolts you used.

thx turdle

anyways, im almost done my hidden winch mount, just gotta move the tranny cooler lines and bolt it up, then ill post that, and finish this one.

I glued the pucks together with automotive grade vulcanizing fluid, and coated them with a high grade rubber protecting sealant. also put a large cupped washer on each side so the pressure is spread evenly.

really doubt I will have a problem.

oh and does anyone know how how long the steering extension is?

im pretty sure the bolts were 6 160MM 2 170MM and 2 180MM, ill have to go check my list when im at my shop again so don't quote me just yet :p

So if you only do a 2 inch body lift you dont have to have a steering extension?... If thats true that is the way im gonna go.

dude if u have it done soon i have the money now.. lookin for a 2in bl. hit me up

Just so everyone knows, you shouldn't need a steering extension with a 2" body lift. I'm going on 4 years now with my performance accesories 2" body lift and no steering extension. no problems ever.... whatsoever. and trust me, i put my truck through hell.

This picture is just me screwing around at work, but you get the idea, my truck aint pretty.
PIC-0053.jpg

nice climb =p

Nice picture. Thanks for the information to.. I seen that someone said you didnt need the extension with a 2" so that will be the way I go if I do a body lift.

Any updates on the body lift. Really wanting to get my prices added up to know how much im gonna spend this summer on stuff for my X

I have a 92 and would love a 50 dollar lift! it would be awesome. My only downside at the moment is going up a steep hill my rear bumper grinds on the ground because i dont have a lift.

would thick steel washers and bolts work? Would it be safer than the hockey pucks? My uncle seen someone do a diy with pvc piping.

Back