Anyone know if a aftermarket stereo keeps steering controls? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anyone know if a aftermarket stereo keeps steering controls?

99MERC

Reaction score
City, State
OHIO
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Merc.Mount. AWD V8
I have dual deck premium sound system in my 99 Mercury M. and looking to change out the radio. I hate to lose the steering wheel functions though. Is there a way to keep those functions (mode,volume +/-,next..)with a aftermarket radio? Anyone tried this? Thanks for any ideas!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

99MERC. I've tried researching the same thing after my display went out. From my research I did not find anything aftermarket that would work. The only option I found was the Ford MP3 deck will operate steering wheel controls and cd changer but if you have the sub in the rear, the sub will not operate.
I fixed my display and kept everything stock.. except for the alpine amp pushing 2 twelves.

FFG

I know at one time back in the day GM and pioneer had some "branded" retail decks that would fit the huge holes that you had when replacing a deck unit.But now its just a kit that covers up the extra space.Having the controls at the wheel is helpful.I was hopeing to keep them. I saw crutchfield has a adapter so you can use the factory amp but thats all. :(

HERES A UPDATE ON THIS IF ANY ONE WANTS TO KNOW!
Crutchfield contacted me and it IS possiable to change to a different aftermarket cd player and use the steering wheel controls!!>>>>>>>READ :)

In answer to your question about using the steering wheel controls in your
vehicle with a new receiver, I will be happy to help. You can retain use of the
steering wheel controls in your automobile with an adapter. This adapter is
designed to work with any receiver that has a compatible wireless remote.
However, there are remotes by Sony and JVC that are not compatible, so you’ll
want to check out the “Crutchfield Hands-on Research” section of our web site
here:

http://www.crutchfield.com/I-rsemc321/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?i=127swix

Circuit City claimed they can fit units that retain the wheel controls. You could try contacting your local CC.

I work for Best Buy and own a 2000 that has the steering wheel controls. It IS possible to retain your controls with an aftermarket stereo.

You need a stereo that comes with a remote and then you need to buy a device that dupliacates your remote when you use your steering wheel controls. Over all it costs around $100 to keep your controls on the wheel.

Hope this helps!

I did the research a few weeks back. Can't remember the name of the company that has the adapters, but Crutchfield has them.

I know that if you have the controls in the rear like I do in my Mounty so that you can turn the volume up and down in the back seat that it will not work once you change out the deck. If any one else knows anything different let me know

I put one in my 00 Mountaineer. I used a Pacific Micro PAC SWI-X Steering Wheel Radio Control Interface; You have to be sure that you have a new head unit that comes with an infrared remote control. Then you have to program the interface to mimic a couple of the buttons on your remote, like volume up, volume down, next channel(radio)/next song(cd). I drilled a tiny hole behind the tissue box holder in the center console and placed the remore infrared beam there, and it works great.

Macgiobuin: did the PAC system still maintain the climate control buttons on the wheel??

No change

The PAC-X had no effect on the heater/blower controls; they still worked like factory.

Back