• Register Today It's free!

Anyone know what these may be?

Rainlord

Reaction score
City, State
Zurich, Switzerland
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer 2012 XLT
I took of the panels below the steering wheel to install something, and saw these two things that I have no idea what they are, except that they don't look stock. The car had a previous owner (a company from what I understand). Anyone have a clue? They're sadly quite "in there" so I can't pull them out for a closer inspection without a lot of work.

#1. This one is visible even with panels on, it's lodged in between the plate behind the panel and the underside of the steering paneling.
AtbZOfZ.jpg

#2. This one is further "in" behind it all, looks a bit like a car odor thing but it's definitely not.
RXK0r4R.jpg

Grateful for any ideas!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have no idea how your car is equipped, but could it be a bluetooth microphone in the top or first photo?

You can probably rule out the bluetooth mic, as is on the head liner near the window visor.

Warning buzzer for a GPS Tracking System.

We had them.

You drive too fast over the local speed limit and the little pest starts squealing at you.... and it won't shut up!!!!

Man I was glad when we took them out...

Warning buzzer for a GPS Tracking System.

We had them.

You drive too fast over the local speed limit and the little pest starts squealing at you.... and it won't shut up!!!!

Man I was glad when we took them out...

Bingo! You beat me to it .

Was that in a 5th gen.? Never heard of that before in our vehicles.

Peter

Aftermarket... can be installed in any vehicle.

Had them in a Silverado fleet truck I used to drive at a previous job. While it didn't give me an audible alarm inside the cab when I was speeding, the company could track our locations and see how fast we were driving. Guys used to try to tape down styrofoam cups with aluminum foil lining the inside, over the antenna to try and block the signal.

I used to play with mine.

A rare earth magnet works wonders...

Put it on top of the receiver or near it and you can be in China in 2 seconds...

They never figured it out....

You can also just ground out the antenna and you will be in ghost mode.

I had the repair man check mine out a dozen times, replaced multiple units and they never did figure it out.

Strange that when I retired everything started to work with it properly when another tech started to drive it.

Back