• Register Today It's free!

Anyone Know What This Is?

corpflyboy

Reaction score
City, State
Melbourne, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Ford Explorer Sport
I have some free time waiting on Plasti Dip to dry on the exploders sport badge...

Other than cooling a little computer board, what do you guys think this vent is for? Too lazy to look in my owners manual and I like to take pics!

Buzz

explorerdash1.jpg

explorerdash2.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Temp sensor for when your temp setting are in auto it knows when to turnoff set ac or heat.

I have some free time waiting on Plasti Dip to dry on the exploders sport badge...

Other than cooling a little computer board, what do you guys think this vent is for? Too lazy to look in my owners manual and I like to take pics!

Buzz
That is part of the cabin temperature measuring system. There is a small fan behind there that pulls the cabin air through it and across what looks like a small circuit board. This fan on the 2013 models created noise on quite a few Explorers. There is a thread on that issue.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=373859&highlight=noisy+fan

Peter

Thanks guys! Makes sense! Too bad I am not a fan of Auto..I like to be in control. :)

That's where the Gremlins live, it's their air supply

Thanks guys! Makes sense! Too bad I am not a fan of Auto..I like to be in control. :)

I'm a big fan of the Auto climate control. Disclaimer - I don't have my 2014 Explorer Sport yet, but my wife and I have driven Ford vehicles with the auto controls for as long as they've had them and we love it.

I set a temp I like and never need to mess with it - the only time I take if off of Auto is to put it on full defrost in the winter. Works like the furnace in the house. :D

^^ What he said. :thumbsup:

Peter

I'm a big fan of the Auto climate control. Disclaimer - I don't have my 2014 Explorer Sport yet, but my wife and I have driven Ford vehicles with the auto controls for as long as they've had them and we love it.

I set a temp I like and never need to mess with it - the only time I take if off of Auto is to put it on full defrost in the winter. Works like the furnace in the house. :D

Quick question as a new owner how loves auto climate control too. It's all I use in my other cars and the Ex too.

I assume the auto climate control works for the roof vents in second and third row and the floor vent in third row.

I have not checked and just wondering as there are manual controls for the rear on the MFT.

It's usually just me driving or my girlfriend with me and the auto climate works fine for us up front. Curious about the rear. Is that auto climate, or do I have to set (or let them set from 2nd row) manually if I have rear seat passengers?

I would go out and check the car myself, but I'm out of town this weekend with my Saab.

Quick question as a new owner how loves auto climate control too. It's all I use in my other cars and the Ex too.

I assume the auto climate control works for the roof vents in second and third row and the floor vent in third row.

I have not checked and just wondering as there are manual controls for the rear on the MFT.

It's usually just me driving or my girlfriend with me and the auto climate works fine for us up front. Curious about the rear. Is that auto climate, or do I have to set (or let them set from 2nd row) manually if I have rear seat passengers?

I would go out and check the car myself, but I'm out of town this weekend with my Saab.

That I can't answer - I almost never have anyone in the back seat, and when I do they've never complained about the heat/AC.

There are several threads onthat discuss Climate Controls. Here is one of them;

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=334896&highlight=climate

Peter

Well, that thread was confusing. I'm out of town but I had my girlfriend start the Ex and crank the heat up as high as it goes on auto climate.

She said there was heating coming out from under the front seats to the second row and from all four upper vents, though not much from the upper vents - mostly from under the front seats. She forget to check the third row bottom vent, but I figure it was throwing some heat if everything else was.

So on my Ex the auto climate works throughout the car for heat, which is great. No need to fiddle unless a passenger in the rear really wants more heat and I can give them control.

Will check the AC when it warms up, but I expect it will come out of the four upper rear vents on auto climate. Now, I can see if it is really hot a rear passenger may want to crank the AC in the rear and have control when first in a hot car (my girlfriend's kids fight over this in her minivan), but I bet once the car cools the auto climate is fine.

Back