• Register Today It's free!

anyone made their own gauges?

Xzibit A

Reaction score
City, State
Ashburn,VA(NOVA)
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 xlt 4.6
hey guys i know alot of you have the white faced gauges, i was wondering if anyone has made their own, there is a tutorial on RPS in the interior tec section, it looks cool but i wanna know if any one has done it, if so how did it turn out, im not good whith PS this is why im asking

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Tried it, didn't really like it so I never installed it. Was a big thing before the glow gauges came out for the explorers.

Yes :)

One of the finishing touches of my 5.0L conversion, Right here:
2893gagefaces.jpg

2893gages.jpg

The thread (the gages start on page 10)
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124626&page=1&pp=20

FYI TOOK ALOT of time to make these in AutoCAD.

well i made them just need to put them in and ill take some pictures when we get done

How did you make them in AutoCAD? Did you scan the real ones, paste into CAD, and draw over them? I have not tried that with guages. I have done maps and things. LOL

I am registered for a photoshop class starting monday, if they don't screw up my teaching schedule to overlap it. :(

Yes. I had the orginal 88 tach and speedo gages in electronic format previously (poor quality bitmap)

I then scaled them to size and drew over them
The tricky part is the increments are not a perfect array, meaning the distance from 0-10 mph is way different from the 30-45, etc.
THis is what took a long time.

You could scan your stock gages and do a similar project using CAD or photo shop, etc. I prefer CAD for stuff like this

Ahh...Ok. I don't know if I will ever attempt it, but I know how you did it. Sounds easy other than taking some time. I keep updated on the newest AutoDESK software. We are updating to 2006 everything now.

I hope they work out my schedule so I don't have to drop photoshop. I want to learn that program (at least the basics).

Thanks 410.

Photoshop is allright, I have always preffered Corel Draw/Photo however

I have run Autocad as part of my job since release 12.

I started with AutoCAD 10 (DOS-yuck!). I teach classes at two local colleges. I also teach Architectural Desktop and Inventor (soon adding more software). I am upgrading to 2006 in everything as we speak. Inventor 10 too. :)

every year Autodesk releases a new version, I personally think they are a waste of $$$$$$$, until they actually re-vamp them. I picked up 04 for $400 instead of the 05 for $1800 or whatever. I work from home so the cost is important....

I agree...sort of. For personal use its ridiculous (no doubts there). A good tech program has to teach the latest software though. Out updates are much cheaper than a company or individual would pay. They are free to me. I don't worry about costs. :)

I am amazed at the difference between 2005 and 2006 in 3D this time. 2D looks the same so far. I am waiting on my Inventor and Arch books.

On a side note: I went to a company thats is still using 2000 and a digitizer the other day to run off some prints. I had to re-save as the old file type first. I couldn't even remember how to move/modify junk over there (thats just me).

It would not accept or print my graphics and it had no linewidths. The prints looked absolutely horrible. :eek: I ended up going to the school and printing them on our new 42" plotter instead. :)

Back