• Register Today It's free!

Anyone mount 6x9 in rear doors?

crackzattic

Reaction score
City, State
Mobile, AL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012, XLT
Long time lurker but first post. Ok so I upgraded my 4 door speakers and it just wasn't enough. I really like my 3rd row and didnt want to add a sub because we use it frequently. I have an XLT with the Sync 2 and 8 speakers.

Well I went to my local shop and got an Alpine MRV-F300 4 channel 50w RMS. The speakers I installed in the front are 6x9 Kicker 44KSC69304 and in the rear 6 1/2 Pioneer TS-A1676R. I got it all tuned nicely and it sounds pretty darn good. However I would really like a little more bass and the kickers actually hit pretty low for what they are. I was wondering if anyone mounted 6x9s in the rear door?

I have 2 kids so my weekend free time is somewhat limited. I will probably take out one of the front speakers and try it in the back door if I don't get a reply by then and i'll report back. It seem's like the hole should be big enough but maybe just have to use some self tapping screws and make new holes for the mounting bracket. I also used the metra speaker kit for all 4 doors.

I would like to move those front 6x9s back and then add in a component speaker set up front because my stock tweeters aren't working anymore with the new amp. Also if anyone has any recommendations on components for the front and if there are any sets where the tweeter that will mount in the stock hole without much modification.

Links:
  1. AMP: https://www.amazon.com/Alpine-MRV-F...87030548&sr=8-1&keywords=alpine+4+channel+amp
  2. Back speakers: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_130TA1676R/Pioneer-TS-A1676R.html?tp=95
  3. Front speakers: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_206KSC6904/Kicker-44KSC6904.html?tp=91
  4. Maybe these component speakers: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_2064CSS694/Kicker-40CSS694.html?tp=105&avf=Y

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So here's the update a week later. I successfully installed 6x9s in the back door with hardly any trouble. First I used the metra kit made for the front door. Next I tried to line it up the best I could but the door panel is the biggest problem. The door's speaker hole was plenty big enough but the panel speaker cover was not wide enough for a 6x9. So I had to mount the speaker at a different angle. I was able to use one existing screw hole to mount the speaker and then drilled 2 new ones into the door. I made an imgur album with some pictures. They aren't the best but I hope it helps anyone that wants to do it.

If anyone was curious why I did it, the 6.5in speakers just really didn't give me much bass. I really wanted it to sound good without having to spend too much money on a sub and labor to wire it all up. I know this was an option but the door speakers already sucked. So I still wanted to replace them. It cost me $300 for the amp and install. $120 for front speakers and $150 for rear speakers.

Picture album: http://imgur.com/a/sitvO
New front speakers: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/kicker-...ymer-cones-pair-black/6432002.p?skuId=6432002
Moved front speakers to rear door: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_206KSC6904/Kicker-44KSC6904.html?tp=91

I made the album private but the link should work. If it doesn't then please let me know.

Few side notes, those kickers put out some really good bass for the price. I tried the kicker KS 6.5in and they sounded pretty bad. The 6.5in Pioneer's did sound great but no bass whatsoever. Also if anyone ever upgrades the front speakers and uses the metra 6x9 kit. Get some bigger screws. The screws with that come with speakers are all just to small for the adapter holes. Had to run to Lowes and get bigger screws. #10 1in machine screws worked great.

Nice. I, like you, have two little ones and I'll likely never have the kind of stereo setups I used to run back in the day. But upgrading the speakers like this is something I can likely eventually talk Mrs. Squirrel into doing. Eventually. :p

I must be the only ExSprt owner that is satisfied with the stock audio? Is the sound really that much better with a speaker upgrade?

I must be the only ExSprt owner that is satisfied with the stock audio? Is the sound really that much better with a speaker upgrade?
Do you have the Sony system? I have an XLT without the Sony system and yes its pretty terrible. With the upgrade its a night and day difference. First I tried changing out just speakers and there wasn't much of an upgrade. Now with the amp and 4 6x9s it sounds amazing. Its got enough bump even without a sub.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a way to slightly increase the audio quality on 2016 XLT with non premium speakers. The audio is abysmal when compared to my wife's 10 speaker Sony's.
All I need is a little more bass and a little more volume.

If you do a 'Search" for audio upgrade in the Modified subform you will find many threads on the topic.

Peter

Hello,

I hope this post finds you well.
I would like to change my speakers for something better, The front and rear I did read articles here such as
Explorer Audio upgrade(s)

I didn't understand much and most of the people there having limited which is different than XLT
Let's start with this for the XLT I beleive it's 4 spears two front and two rear, I would like to change it for better ones that can be replaced easily with no wire cute so I don't violate my car warranty.

my budget for rear and front is 200$-300$ looking for a speakers that will give a performance like bose systems with no need for extra AMP or subwoofer. Please let me know if I'm missing something because I don't have experience

Things I have seen before
Kenwood KFC-1695PS

Regards

Your post above was merged with this thread on XLT speaker upgrade.

Peter

You should be able to order speaker connectors to avoid cutting the factory wires. This wouldn’t void your warranty anyways, unless it was shorted out and damaged the radio. Going to a different speaker they could void the head unit warranty anyways.

If you don’t want an amp you will need to find a speaker high the highest sensitivity. This is how efficient the speaker works on the wattage the head unit provides. Most aftermarket speakers are more power hungry than factory.

I’d get 4 matching speakers. A lot of people try and put better speakers up front, which makes the rears just get drowned out by the better speakers.

I used these in the front (could also be used in 2nd row) Infinity Primus PR6500cs and these in the 2nd row Infinity Primus PR6512is, with these in the 3rd row https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01E4JWG6I/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They use these adapters. Metra 72-5602 Speaker Wiring Harness

These front brackets. Metra 82-5605 Speaker Mounting Brackets
And these are the correct rear brackets. American International NSB710 Speaker Mounting Brackets

I did not change the center dash speaker, though I may at some point. It's another 3.5"

Do you have the Sony system? I have an XLT without the Sony system and yes its pretty terrible. With the upgrade its a night and day difference. First I tried changing out just speakers and there wasn't much of an upgrade. Now with the amp and 4 6x9s it sounds amazing. Its got enough bump even without a sub.

Hey crackzattic! Thanks to you and everyone for sharing your journey with the Explorer sound system. I have a 2013 Explorer XLT, non-Sony (9-speaker) system with sync 2. I have upgraded all the speakers (9) and installed an amp. The stock system did not have an amp. The trouble I'm having is getting the center front speaker amped. Each time I run it through the amp, I get popping on high volumes. Grounds are good and the connections seem good too. Do you have a center speaker on your system and know of any solutions? Thanks again!

Back