anyone mount an ac compressor to use as air compressor? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

anyone mount an ac compressor to use as air compressor?

TheRookie

Traveling SAS guru
Reaction score
City, State
West Chester PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 explorer xlt
I have a first gen (for those who didnt know) and want to do this. after reading up on converting a york type ac compressor into an air compressor on a few sites I like the idea. My goal is to power air tools off of my x when needed. Only part I am not sure about is where to mount the thing and how to get a belt to it. I am going to a u pull it this weekend and will grab a compressor then. Anyone else do this on an X? how did it go? what did you use for brackets? I am thinking i will fab up the brackets.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There are a few other members here that are doing onboard air. They might be able to help you out. I'm planning on fabricating up some brackets and using a york. The rest is top secret at this point :)

Do a search for onboard air. There was one a few weeks back and I put a link in it to a guys site that details the installation.

I too plan on doing this with a York, I have my Manifold fabed up, I have an Air tank, I have some Hose, all I need is the York, and Maybe re-locate my battery so I can have more room under the hood! Then its a game of trying to figure out where I can run a belt from to power it, and how to Mount it...

I will do a Deatiled write up once it has been installed.

At this point there is nobody that I know of that has a York in an Explorer.... I do know of some people that have converted their factory compressor to have OBA... Not sure how it works......

Thanks for the ideas. I found a how too site about a jeep. Leaving out that part the write up is pretty good. even has a way to modify the thing in order to avoid the oil problems. I also read the York puts something like 9cfm at 90 psi :eek: that is great. No problem powering air tools there. I also was thinking battery relocation. I will let you all know once i finaly do this. probably a couple or few weeks. gotta do the trans first.

BTW one belt idea i had was welding a pully onto a current pully to in essence make it a double. then just belt between the 2 things. would work if i can get it centered perfectly. Perfect world i would make this quickly swapable with another alternator to use as a welder. Now thats getting carried away to have both.

Can we use this?

061-004.jpg

Here is the info for it......

Combo Pulleys

2.4" Serpentine diameter and 2.75" V-groove diameter.
6 and 8 groove custom serpentine/V-groove combo pulleys.
Cut on late model CNC machines, engraved and plated for protection.

061-003 replaces the 6 groove OEM Nippondenso alternator pulley.
Will also replace many Ford & GM OEM pulleys, as well as Premier Power Welder alternator pulleys.

061-004 replaces OEM 7 and 8 groove pulleys on many Ford, Chevy & Chrysler vehicles.

P/N 061-003 2.4"/2.75" K6 Combo Pulley $40.00
P/N 061-004 2.4"/2.75" K8 Combo Pulley $40.00

New Overdrive Pulleys

We now have two new versions of our combo pulleys! 1.9"/2.75" 6 and 8 groove combo pulleys are in stock. These pulleys were designed to boost your charging systems output at idle and increase your compressors speed at the same time. Changes in speed depend on your crank pulley diameter.

P/N 061-007 1.9"/2.75" K6 Overdrive Combo Pulley $40.00
P/N 061-008 1.9"/2.75" K8 Overdrive Combo Pulley $40.00

(copy and paste) *droul* How do I order one? That is my solution. I may actualy order 2.

My question is where do we put them? on what piece of equipment?

PS Pump?
Alternator?
Idler Pulley?
Crank Shaft?
etc....?

Well they are alternator pullys. You would put that on the alternator and run a seperate belt from there.

I just looked at mine....

I was thinking of putting the York right where my battery is...... but If I ran it off the Alternator, the belt would run into the air intake tube..... BUT I guess I could re-locate the washer fluid and the radiator over flow tank... and put it there... (it looks easier to mount also.....)

The wheel's are spinning....(im getting some good idea's on how to mount it, and install a Belt tensioning device....(sort of))

someone work on re-locating the tanks... and i'll share my Mounting plan to you...

OK Thats fair. I will look at it tomorrow and see about Moving the tanks. Shouldnt be too tough.

I just want to hook my A/C compressor to an air line and not have a tank. Can someone instruct me on how to do this .... like you're explaining something to a child
dork.gif

Thanks I'll be waiting anxiously
nerdplus.gif

Wow that place is great. They have all the fittings and such. Thanks for the link. They also sell york compressors, kinda expensive but they look great.

Jack, I wouldnt recomend that. Are you planning on using your factory ac compressor or a york? What do you want the air for? You can buy a small air tank (2-5 gallon) for under 40 bucks. Then it would be easier to regulate flow and pressure. You would have poor performance from air tools without a tank. Also you would need a pressure regulator inline in the hose to do it that way. Even walmart sells small air tanks for cheap. If you want to do much of anything I would go that route.

I've read a few On Board Air conversions where the people make the statement that b4 they put in a full system they used the A/C compressor and a hose to air up tires. It sounded like they just attached a n air hose fitting and walla. I fully intend to get a tank and go with a true OBA system but in the meantime I have this A/C compressor sitting. My A/C has been disconnected but the compressor is good.

OK problem is i believe the stock compressor uses refrigerant as lubricant. Not totaly sure though. If you must do that it is fairly simple. On the intake hose put on an air filter of some kind. Perhaps a breather for a valve cover. On the outlet I would also put a finlter. Go to home depot and near the air compressors you will find them. Ask someone if you cant find it. Thats about it. Well obviously you need a pressure gauge in there somewhere near the end of the hose so you dont over/under inflate. Again I am unsure about lubricant. You may have to rig something.

any updates on this system with using your stock A/C compressor as OBA? pics?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I tested the stock A/C compressor in an OBA setup last night. It worked well for the short period of time that I tested it.

While wasting time at the local CSK auto parts I found a little 2gal electric air compressor setup out of the box for $50. After I stripped the cheap ass compressor off the tank I wound up with a 2 gal air tank, 2 gauges, a regulator, blow off valve and a 110psi pressure switch.

In the plumbing section of Home Depot I found a good selection of brass barb fittings and adaptors to convert the standard A/C manifold hose assembly to something usable with the air tank.

I still need to get a lubricator for the inlet side to mist lube the compressor and a separator to remove the oil from the outlet stream; I'll also run another filter near the tank to catch the water that will condense in the lines.

During initial testing with a ghetto rigged setup (lots of restrictions and cheap hose) I was able to hold my impact wrench at 90psi with the engine at 2500rpm. This worked up until the cheap slinky hose (included with the compressor) melted down due to the heat coming off of the compressor; I fully expected this to happen and didn't invest in a high quality hose since it was just a test.

Several things to keep in mind for any OBA setup. The hose leaving your compressor should be to withstand high temperatures; almost all compressors (non OBA) I've seen use copper lines between the compressor head and the tank for this purpose. The outlet hose on the A/C manifold has a very small ID compared to its OD, this is because it has to endure high heat and pressure conditions in an A/C system. If you use a separator / filter near the compressor ensure that it is rated for high temperatures and uses some type of metal bowl, the plastic bowl types will probably melt if used for extended periods.

Before critiquing the attached picture bear in mind that this was a TEST SEUTP. I was fully aware before I started that the cheap slinky line was inadequate for this application from both temperature and flow perspectives however I did not want to spend any more money on something that might not be worthwhile and the slinky hose was included with the $50 compressor I used for parts. I’m also fully aware that I will need to add a lubricator to the system to prevent the compressor from pigging out; see above blurb about not wanting to spend money.

Attachments

• dsc00241s.jpg
    dsc00241s.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 3,592

Back