Anyone planning a trip thru the Rubicon this summer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anyone planning a trip thru the Rubicon this summer?

Positive Vibes

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Santa Cruz, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
I was wanting to do the Rubicon this summer. It would be my first time and I was wanting to run with someone who has done it a few times. Anybody planning a trip or interested in getting one together. I'm thinking May/June time frame. What do you people think?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

We are thinking about doing an ORR run then (there or Moab), unless we can piggy back with the Ex guys...

--Sean

Derrick, my buddies and I are determined to get in a run on the Rubicon this summer. We also hope to do Fordyce again. Fordyce will have to be near the end of summer though. Stay in touch. I'll be sure to notify you when we've got a plan. Any interest in doing a weekend at Hollister?

Hollister would be good some time next year. Maybe the 2nd or 3rd weekend in Jan. I am also determined to do the Rubicon. What time frame are you thinking?

May/June looks good, depending on snowpack of course. It's hard to pin down an exact date at this point but it WILL happen.

Sounds good! Lets keep playing e-tag and figure something out. Hopefully some of the big doggs will see this post and maybe we could have a decent sized run???

Hate to sound like the newb I am.. but exactly how difficult is the Rubicon? I'm interested as long as my wimpy AWD could handle it. I was surfing around over on rubicon-trail.com and the author had nothing but bad things to say about AWDs. :mad: What do you guys think? Its okay if you tell me I should stay home. I can handle the rejection.

I wouldn't try it with AWD. No low right? Gonna be tough. The Rubicon is unique in the Sierras in that it has a lot of bypasses for the tough stuff. But even the bypasses can be difficult. This is not from experience mind you. I've just done a lot of research on line. You are welcome to come. But I'd leave the AWD at the trailhead the first time do a ride-along. Positive Vibes, you still out there? Still planning on going?

section525: Not sure about the AWD. What modifications have you done (lift, lockers, recovery equipment)?

zensius: Are you still interested? We should start getting a plan together. Anybody else????

I've been recently talking with friends about a date. I'm getting married this summer so a lot of weekends are getting filled up with related stuff. We also need to find a calendar of events on the Rubicon so we can find a relatively quite weekend to do it. Any suggested dates yet?

When you getting married?

I'm open for dates, just want to get something set. So I can make plans. I have a buddy who also wants to go. May, June or July. I just want to get a date so I have a goal. What are your thoughts?

June would be good for me. My wedding is in Sept. I'll look for a Rubicon calendar online.

June would be good. Which site are you checking out for the Rubicon?

How many people/vehicles do you have?

How many days are we expecting?

Where is everyone else? Are they scared??

Here's a calendar of Rubicon events I found http://www.rubicon-trail.com/Rubicon/dates2003.html I think late June would work for me and my friends. I don't know how many trucks. They're always in a state of assembleage. But we'd like to take my X, 2 EB's and an Xterra. I think we should meet on a Friday afternoon. And run the trail Sat/Sun. Once we get a date we should start another thread.

So you only think it will take two days?? I was anticipating a little longer (3 to 4 days). Has any of your friends done the 'con? Anyone have a winch? I was thinking of buying a book on it. The more vehicles we have the longer it will take (theoretically)?

It's possible that it will take us four days. I don't remember what it said. We've got one rig, EB, with a winch. I'm waiting for a reply from that guy as to the best weekend for him. He travels a lot for work. And no, none of us have run the trail. But we have done the Fordyce and others. It would be good to have someone with Rub' experience.

I agree we should have a least one person who has done it before. I will shoot a few emails to some of the members I know live up there.

What spare parts do you have? I have a few brake lines, manual hubs and tools. What would be some other parts to have with us??

Where are all the off roaders?

You still just have a L/s in the rear?

Because I'm saving money for the wedding I will only have a brand new L/S in the rear. But I hope to have a locker in front. I think that combo will work well. I'll do some more research on the trail and get back.

I see you guy's want to do the Rubicon this summer. Well welcome to the REAL WORLD OF OFF-ROADING!!!:eek:

I would like to make some suggestion's to you and don't take these in the wrong way, I just want to make sure that you know what your getting yourself into and that you have a great time doing this trail. I have done the trail 5 time's in the past few year's and have done the Little Sluice once. I have seen a lot of thing's happen on this trail, even with the best built rig's. If you do not have any rock crawling experience, then this is not the trail you want to learn how to. You will be guarantee body damage so be prepare for it. Below are a list of thing's that I have found to be important (at least for me) that you might want to know.

First: You want your rig to be the best mechanically. By that, make sure you have gone over your rig or have a professional mechanic check it out for any worn part's. Make sure all of your hose's and belt's are good. I know that you probably do this already for other trail's, but this trail is even more important to make sure that everything is in excellent working condition. You don't want to have anything brake down on you if possible. Your out in the wilderness and to get to the closest town which is Lake Tahoe can be a long and costly experience. Even the best built rig's can still brake down, I know I seen it.

Second: Spare Part's? What do I bring for spare part's. That's a good question, because you never know what going to brake if it does. I know for one that if I broke something in the pass, that I bring that part along again. Here are some part's that have broken on other rig's that I have been with. Blown out ARB locker's; Broken driveshaft's, blown hub's; Torn rear diff. cover's;
Torn off exhaust pipe's; blown tire's or sidewall ripe's; running out of gas; over heating problem's. I know that you can not bring everything, so you will have to know your own vehicle well enough to know what to bring along for spare part's. Forgot one more thing, radius arm's that have broken ( Superlift is well known for this, just ask Fakrwee).

Third: Is my rig capable enough to do the Con. This is the most important thing you must have on your truck to be able to do the Rubicon, and that is you must have a rear locker. If you do not, then don't even try to do it.
Also it help's to have at least 33" tire's or better and a suspension lift of some sort. If you have a front locker, that's great but not needed if you have a rear locker already. Be sure you have a tow strap in case you need to pull your buddy through if his or your truck brakes down. A high lift jack, extra transmission fluid, oil, brake fluid, belt's and coolant's. Don't count on your cell phone to work out there if you need help, it probably won't work.

Fourth: What to pack? For one you will need to bring all of your food (including ice & Water) with you for the number of day's that you plan on being out there. Cooking utensil's also (stove, lantern's etc.) You will also have to bring your own shovel and toilet paper (no bathroom's) and you must remove all trash that you make and take it with you. You can not be guarantee that you will be able to have a camp fire at nite. You will have to check with the Forestery Service before you start the trail to make sure you can. Be prepare for any weather change's.

Fifth: Extra thing's to pack if you want to.
Along the trail you will find a few lake's that you will pass or want to spend the nite at. If you have room you might want to bring along a raft, swim suit, etc. Fishing is not good (been there and done that), hiking is good.
Camera, bug repellant.

Sixth: You were wondering how many day's to do the trail. It all depend's on a number of thing's. We usually do it in 3 day's. The first day we go 1/2 way and camp at one of the lakes. The second day is R&R or repair day if needed. And the last and third day is getting out of the trail which is doing Cadillac Hill out of Rubicon Spring's. If you have any brake down's then it could take longer or if you have a large group of people it can also take longer. If your really good and have done the trail many time's before you can get through it in one day, but that might be pushing it. If it's your first time you want to take it easy, so give yourself plenty of time to enjoy the area.

So I hope I didn't bore you with this info, and I hope you have a great time doing it. Please be sure to show us your picture's when you get back. :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Paul - you forgot one more thing.

Bears are becoming a problem on the Rubicon - a few of them have realized trail vehicles are roving grocery stores, and have been know to raid them at night.. Meaning, a good bear proof container could come in handy.

Back