Wanted Anyone ran into this

Parts or services wanted

SteFin

Reaction score
City, State
nashville tn
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Explorer
Bought a 2001 SOHC Sporty 110,000k head gasket/timing chain problem no compression. Bought a low mileage 02 Complete SOHC motor to install in the 01.
Before we removed the 2001 motor checked fuel pressure and heard fuel pump running through the gas fill tube. Now with the 2002 motor installed w/2001 plentum/intake the fuel pump isn't working, door locks, or outside key code on drivers door. All these work prior to motor swap. The PATS light on the dash is blinking at 2-3 second intervals when key is on, will turn over won't fire, runs excellent if someone squirts gas through throttle body. I have extra fuel tank with pump off low milage donor vehicle it's a 2000. Has anyone else experienced this with a motor swap? Am I missing something simple? should I wire pump up straight, next step is to check ground 104 & 204 and voltage to pump. I did switch relay is there a fuse also in the circuit I don't have a owners manual to this vehicle and Dataonline manuals doesn't show a fuse or relay outlay. Did check inertia relay/sensor the button is set in and not out. Humbling experience HELP SteFin Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The pats light should blink with the key off and when the key is turned to the run position it will come on solid for a few seconds while the key is being verified and then it will go out completely. If the light is on while you are trying to start the engine the system sees something it doesn't like. If that happens try your other key (you do have a spare don't you?).
If all is good so far then check fuses and relays, blown fuses for sure but on both of them move the fuse or relay around to see if it might have a poor pin connection. The pcm relay must turn on to power up the fuel pump so both pcm and fuel pump relays will have two pins that are hot with the key on if all is well.
After all that the real detective work starts. (did you check all of the connectors under the hood to see that they were completely together?)
Hope it all works out!

engine wiring harness?

Since your engine runs on starting fluid you know its not an ignition problem. I suggest that you measure the fuel pressure. If its above 60 psi then you may have injector problems. How long since the 2002 engine was running? If a long time the injectors may all be blocked and in need of cleaning or replacement.

Did you use the engine wiring harness on the 2002 or your original 2001 harness? Was the replacement engine from a Sport (2nd gen) or a 4 door (3rd gen)? If the latter, there may be engine wiring harness differences.

The 02 engine ran about 7 weeks ago. The pats lite goes out after the key is on and stays off. Called the man I bought the 01 sport from he verified the vehicle ran with the key he supplied bought several vehicles I trust him emphatically. At the inertia switch I'm getting 8.9 volts on the yellow and green wire (hot relay wire) the pink and black (hot to fuel pump out nothing. stripped the blk/pk wires attached a hot lead with alligator clip no fuel pump running I could hear. Switched fuel pump relay with horn relay horn works and worked after switch. Inertia switch button is down. I have extra gas tanks with fuel pumps a 2000 and a 1999 both fuel pumps work I tested them today to make sure. Will go to pull a part and retrieve an inertia switch. pull it off something wrecked wouldn't got in wreck if it wasn't working probably have to reset it. PS anyone got a heater hose diagram with the oil cooler the filter screws into I've got the 01 and 02 parts mixed up and they are totally differnt the 01 has a oil cooler at the filter the 02 doesn't the 02 got busted with the chain hoist 01 mounted on 02 block. If i could see a diagram because the line coming out of the thermostat housing I believe is the return Thanks a Lot guys

Used the original wiring harness and Plenum/Intake from the 01. The EGR valve came up on opposite sides and the sensors on the 02 and coil were in different places. The 02 was a 4 door 2wd and the 01 Sport 2wd. I've not found a difference doesn't mean there isn't. I had the 02 plenum mounted and wired in until the EGR valve on the passenger side caused to many headaches with the heater hoses and cruise control so I went back to the 01 lots more smoother I have extra wiring harness Pull a Part $17.50.

I will check the fuel pressure tomorrow good ideal! Also cutting a trap door for the fuel pump and changing it out after I change the inertia switch unless it solves the problem I'm skeptical. Read a post today about someone changing the inertia switch ran of a few days and fuel pump went out. It just keeps nagging in the back of my mind plus I can wire it at the pump with a lite and toggle on the dash my epitaph will read The Inertia Switch Got Him, not the Whiskey Guns Harley's or Wild Women! just kidding Thanks

PATS normal

According to your description PATS is not the source of your problem.

As I recall, the fuel pump motor runs continuously when power is applied to it. There is a check valve and fuel pressure regulator (FPR) in the tank. When the pressure increases to the amount established by the FPR the excess is bypassed internally. The continuous flow of fuel thru the pump cools it making it more reliable. A fast way to destroy a new fuel pump is to run it dry.

Applying battery voltage to the PK/BK wire at the inertia fuel shutoff should energize the pump if all electrical paths are good. Have you checked the fuel pump electrical connector located left side of fuel tank in front of rear axle?

I have seen strange things like that when working at a heavy equipment dealership. check all the ground straps, they are easy to miss when doing a swap. Frame to body, body to motor, etc. I always put an extra one from battery to body.

Extra ground strap good ideal! I'll do that, yes it seems to me also a ground strap is missing. Thanks

Belated Thanks to everyone who posted HElP for my trials and tribulations changed the fuel pump tightened up some things. Currently got 500 miles runs great (knock on wood) Going today to buy a 02 Explorer 4x4 limited "timing chains". Thanks again SteFin ShadeTree JunkYard Dog

Back