anyone redone their basements? | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations
  • Register Today It's free!

anyone redone their basements?

I have a basement that we need to redo, not liveable.. but storage.. want to seal the concrete walls and floors, any ideas and suggestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

JDraper

Somewhat Functional
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
McVeytown, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'18 XLT
UGL Drylock does wonders. I did the basement in our old house with it and it stayed dry. I even used it to seal up a "ceement pond" we had in the back yard, and that held water without leaking.

It's a really good product. There are several variants, but I've found the Drylock Extreme works the best.

http://www.drylok.com/formulas/

unclemeat

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Richmond, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 sport
If you have wet basement problems make sure you have good drainage around the foundation. Gutters and down spouts should that discharge away from the foundation.

If the problem is really bad, you will need a groundwater collection system and sump pump.

SwaintaN

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Carey, Ohio (Georgia Grown)
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 XLT
Yeah we are in a 100 year food plain. We get 6 inches to 8 inches of water. We are installing a sump pump but wanting to deal the walls and floor as well. It's a old I mean old basement. Someone used interior paint on 2 of the walls.

X~FACTOR

Name is Ray
Reaction score
City, State
Valley Stream, Long Island
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT 4-dr SOHC
UGL Drylock does wonders. I did the basement in our old house with it and it stayed dry. I even used it to seal up a "ceement pond" we had in the back yard, and that held water without leaking.

It's a really good product. There are several variants, but I've found the Drylock Extreme works the best.

http://www.drylok.com/formulas/

Did the same with my basement. Whenever I feel like refreshing the white paint, I would just apply more. I must have 4 heavy coats on it now. Good stuff.

Recently though, water has been seeping in, not from the walls but from the floor.

BrooklynBay

Moderator & long time member.
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
Is the cement around the outside of the house pitched away from the house? Are the gutters & leaders leaking? It might be a good idea to use the new design mold free sheetrock that's a purple color. It has some sort of fiber material instead of paper. They recently came out a with new version that's lighter, sound blocking, and mold resistant (but it's not cheap). A dehumidifier with a vent hose that goes outside is a good idea for damp basements. Do you have regular drains for rain outside or drains going into the ground (where water could get into the foundation)?

SwaintaN

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 XLT
our problem specifically is we live in the flood plain, we have an underground river.. all my slopping is correct along with gutters cleaned etc. im thinking of using that url extreme for the walls and a poxy for the floor. hopefully between those and a sump pump itll cut down amount of water in basement during the floods.

BrooklynBay

Moderator & long time member.
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

SwaintaN

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 XLT
wouldnt surprise be about the sink hole. im not sure where it is or if its as bad as they say, ive lived here for years and only 4 times it flooded is cause of the main river not the underground river

unclemeat

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Richmond, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 sport
If you have the topography (slope), you could install a groundwater collection/diversion system outside around the foundation.

The epoxy concrete coating will be you best chance of waterproofing on the interior. There are some water based coatings, but I prefere the epoxy.
I would only apply during dry periord. Concrete supply companies carry them.

An internet search will show you the available products including application rates and techniques.

ionr

SwaintaN

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 XLT
I seen that Lowes had epoxy concrete/floor sealer. Is the one where you sprinkle paint chips. Yeah we are waiting till dry time cause I saw the ur extreme said put on when it hasn't rained in 24 hours and won't rain for another 48 after applying. I guess I have to etch? to cause there is some lyme deposits. I thought about after 2 coats on Wall of the extreme stuff to get cement paint and paint it. Just don't like the look off all white on walls.

SwaintaN

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 XLT
well i found a diy extreme commercial grade epoxy for the floor.. hopefully soon as it starts to warm up ill be doing those.

going to use the extreme lock on the walls..

my sloping is away from the house, the gutters are clear, but I think i found one of the inground gutter lines to be clogged (or frozen cause its still only 10*f here) so when get warmer going to look at that as well.

the underground creek is over 300 ft from house.

corkey

Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Elite Canuck,multiple ifs offender,, and musky maniac,, i wheel and i fish,,
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 xls,96 xl,91,08 Ranger
best way is give it an out,, dig a French Drain that leads away , and is deeper than the bottom of the floor,
water goes down, and if the french drain is there, it will go out that first, instead of backing up,, lead it away from the house , and have it get deeper as it gets further away,