Anyone running 265/75/16 tires without any type of lift??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anyone running 265/75/16 tires without any type of lift???

71cutty455

Reaction score
City, State
St. Louis, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT 5.0 V8 AWD
Hey everyone, I'm thinking about getting some new tires before the bad weather hits. I've decided if I do I'm going with a set of Hankook Dynapro Rf10's. My Ex came stock with 255/70/16's and I want to go a bit larger but don't want to lift it just yet since I run a set of 22's the rest of the year. Eventually I may lift it but it ain't gonna happen any time soon. So the sizes will either be 265/70/16 (30.6" tall) or preferably 265/75/16 (31.7" tall). I've done a bit of measuring and I really don't see why the 265/75/16s wouldn't fit but does anyone here have real world experience with running that size without too much hassle? I don't mind a little trimming. They will be on the factory 16" teardrop rims (for now at least). Pics would be great also if you have any. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey everyone, I'm thinking about getting some new tires before the bad weather hits. I've decided if I do I'm going with a set of Hankook Dynapro Rf10's. My Ex came stock with 255/70/16's and I want to go a bit larger but don't want to lift it just yet since I run a set of 22's the rest of the year. Eventually I may lift it but it ain't gonna happen any time soon. So the sizes will either be 265/70/16 (30.6" tall) or preferably 265/75/16 (31.7" tall). I've done a bit of measuring and I really don't see why the 265/75/16s wouldn't fit but does anyone here have real world experience with running that size without too much hassle? I don't mind a little trimming. They will be on the factory 16" teardrop rims (for now at least). Pics would be great also if you have any. Thanks!

Hello Cutty,

I have a '99 Ford Explorer and when I bought it, it had a tire size of 265/70/16 all around and I'm at completely stock height. I have no rubbing at all. I have been running this stock setup for 4 and a half years now with no issues. Hopefully someone else will chime in on your issue with 265/75/16s. Oh and the tires I have is the Michelin LTX M/S brand.

265/75/16's will fit no problem. I ran that size in both Dick Cepek Mud Countrys and BFG A/T's, stock height.

Thanks for responding, either of you have pics?

265/75/16's will fit no problem. I ran that size in both Dick Cepek Mud Countrys and BFG A/T's, stock height.

Was that on a 2nd gen Ex? I see you have a 3rd gen.

Thanks for responding, either of you have pics?

Was that on a 2nd gen Ex? I see you have a 3rd gen.

Sorry, my bad. I missed the fact that you have a 2nd Gen. I did have the DC's on my 98 Sport. But I also did tt and shackles before the tires.

Bump. Anyone else have any input?

I've read that they will fit on the Sports without any kind of lift due to the larger wheel wells, but don't think they will on a 4 door without trimming and/or some lifting. Maybe someone will chime in that's actually tried it. I'd like to try them on my Sport next time I get tires.......

I'm running 255/75/16s on my stock 01 sport if that helps any...

An older pic

DSCN0040.jpg

And the suns setting now but here it sits. This is on original shocks which certainly need replacing

DSCN0042.jpg

I'd really like to know this as well. I run 265/70/16s right now, but its almost time for some new rubber and i'd like a 75. I tell you what though, the price difference between 265/70/16s and 265/75/16s is pretty significant :(

Thanks everyone for your input, when I do decide to get my new tires I will go ahead and just get some 265/75/16's. It may be a few weeks at the earliest though but I will be sure to post an update once I have them on.

I'd really like to know this as well. I run 265/70/16s right now, but its almost time for some new rubber and i'd like a 75. I tell you what though, the price difference between 265/70/16s and 265/75/16s is pretty significant :(

Make sure you are comparing apples to apples. Are you comparing a "P" (passenger) series tire price to an "LT" (light truck) tire price? The Hankooks I plan on getting are only $2 more per tire for the 75's than the 70's but I am planning going with P's. LT's are definitely more expensive compared to P's. I just won't be off-roading or towing enough to justify an LT and the P's look exactly the same, should ride better, and are cheaper.

Thanks everyone for your input, when I do decide to get my new tires I will go ahead and just get some 265/75/16's. It may be a few weeks at the earliest though but I will be sure to post an update once I have them on.

Make sure you are comparing apples to apples. Are you comparing a "P" (passenger) series tire price to an "LT" (light truck) tire price? The Hankooks I plan on getting are only $2 more per tire for the 75's than the 70's but I am planning going with P's. LT's are definitely more expensive compared to P's. I just won't be off-roading or towing enough to justify an LT and the P's look exactly the same, should ride better, and are cheaper.
Yes I am comparing similar tires, michelin mtx a/t 2s to be exact.

Go with a P-Metric tire for your X. There is no reason to go to a LT tire unless you do a lot of towing or hauling. Serious towing and hauling, not a dirt bike once a month. With LT tires you will lose a couple miles per gallon since they weigh so much more. The Dynapro RF10 is a great tire though, and you'll be pretty happy with it. They're OK in the dirt, but more oriented towards being a milder all terrain. They work great in the winter snow and slush, and ride down the highway quietly, and look pretty good too. The LT sizes don't come with a mileage warranty, but I think (off the top of my head) that the P-Metric sizes are a 50,000 mile tire.

I manage a tire shop, and we sell a lot of these.

Sure, but I think driving from St Louis to Manhattan, Ks and back would cost you more in gas than I could knock off the price, lol.

I have 265/75/16's on my ex right now. I do have the TT done though.
Mine measure out right at 32" no rubbing with normal driving with no lift you may have to trim just a little of the front bumper. The rear will fit just fine. I haven't had mine off road yet since the new tires but i am sure it will rub when the front is flexed out

There are pics in my registry if you want to look at how close they are to the bumper.

tires

I have a 04 Sport Trac with no lift and have Goodyear Duratrac 265/75/16 on it. I get just a slight rub if I crank it all the way to the left.. Other than that I dont. Love my tires...

Here is a thought
A couple of guys here in the UK run the 75's and they look that much better. They do have shackles and TT tho.
Why not get the shackles and do TT and fit the 75s then when spring comes put the stock shackles back on and adjust the TT back down. A couple of hours well spent. I would certainly say its gotta be a better option than trimming. ;)

I currently have 245-75-16 BFG AT KO on my GenII with no suspension mod at all, and I had to trim a little bit of the bumper and flare, tires would rub a little when wheels were fully turned and going over a bump or something, so I would expect you will need to trim a little too with a bigger sized tire, but nothing major.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

own a 03 4x4 sport with 33s with no lift .. just air shocks on rear no tt

Back