Anyone running F-150 Wheels on their 2018 Explorer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anyone running F-150 Wheels on their 2018 Explorer?

RBNASLT

Reaction score
City, State
West Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer Limited
Looking at Wheel Options for my 2018 Sport. Anyone running F-150 20" Wheels on their Explorer?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looking at Wheel Options for my 2018 Sport. Anyone running F-150 20" Wheels on their Explorer?
You say you have a 2018 Sport but your profile shows 2015 Limited. Do you have both?

Peter

The 15 is still in the Family, just bought the 18. I know the F-150 Wheels are 6 lug, but wanted to know if anyone has gone to the trouble to convert them to the explorer

Converting a 6 lug wheel to 5 lug would be more problems than they would be worth.

Why not just find the same style of wheel that will fit the Explorer directly, and yes I know that at times you can find one great deal of take off wheels. But with what you would spend to convert them you could buy some for the Explorer outright.

Converting lug patterns is pretty easy to do with wheel adapters. I am waiting on adapters to put 21" volvo rims/tires on one of my explorers right now (5-lug to 5-lug but different PCD).

5-lug to 6-lug adapters are available but I believe they are typically 2"/50mm thick. The 20" F150 rims are basically the same size and offset as the 20" explorer rims, but the adapter would push them out 2"/50mm further and they would likely rub or otherwise make contact somewhere. You would be running the equivalent of a 20x8.5 rim with -6mm offset. I would pass on the F-150 rims.

Aftermarket wheels have gotten so cheap that I wouldn’t bother with spacers and adapters. In the end, you still end up running a factory wheel.

There's a good deal of factory wheel options from to choose from other than explorer. Ford Edge, Flex, Lincoln MKT, MKX and more

Aftermarket wheels have gotten so cheap that I wouldn’t bother with spacers and adapters. In the end, you still end up running a factory wheel.
I don't know what size/type of aftermarket wheels/tires you are talking about, but good quality 18"-22" rims and tires can easily run $2-5K or more which isn't cheap for most people. Even the cheap chinese junk will set you back $1,200-1,500 or more. The only "cheap" aftermarket wheels I've seen are the white wagon wheels, but they have very limited sizes/applications.

Most factory wheels are much higher quality than the the typical aftermarket wheels that run $150 or less.

Most 18s and 20s can be had for much less than $500 a wheel. Compare them to used aftermarket wheel/tire combo because that’s what factory take off are, used. Most clean factory wheels with good, serviceable tires aren’t cheap.

Most 18s and 20s can be had for much less than $500 a wheel. Compare them to used aftermarket wheel/tire combo because that’s what factory take off are, used. Most clean factory wheels with good, serviceable tires aren’t cheap.
Yes, there are a lot of 18-20" aftermarket wheels that can be had for less than $500/rim. You can buy cheap gravity cast aftermarket 18s for as little as $100/rim and you can get cheap gravity cast aftermarket 20s for as little as $150/rim give or take. Add in tires and a set is going to cost a grand or more quickly for the cheapest of the cheap of aftermarket rims/tires. If you want better quality pressure cast, rotary forged or forged aftermarket wheels that are more durable, you are going to pay more. Add in a quality tire and you are going to quickly approach or exceed $2K for a set.

I don't know many that are upgrading their 5th gens with different 18" aftermarket wheels. Most seem to be going with 20-22s and from some of the posts I've seen around here, the popular choices (vossens) are in the range of $4-500/rim plus tires.

I have had better luck finding factory takeoffs for similar/better prices than the cheap/low quality aftermarket stuff, so I tend to prefer the higher quality OE stuff. These are the 21" Volvo rims with 275/40R21 tires that I installed this weekend.
ez5qJy7.png

Looks good but the wheels are very similar to the "regular" Limited 16+ 20" wheels

017-ford-explorer-limited4wd-10793-17156392-2-1024.jpg

Looks good but the wheels are very similar to the "regular" Limited 16+ 20" wheels

017-ford-explorer-limited4wd-10793-17156392-2-1024.jpg
Maybe to some and from a cursory glance, but to me, they are completely different styles of wheels - one is an 8-spoke and the other is a 10 spoke (actually a split/open 5-spoke design).
IMG-398425_510x283.jpg

explorer_2016_rim_ford_lg.jpg

Oh and just to add about using factory wheels as an upgrade as factory take offs can be found cheap.....

My 07 Focus has 16 Fiesta ST 17" wheels, my 04 Explorer has 03 Ranger 16" wheels (more offset since it's lifted) and wife's 03 Expedition has 2011+ FX4 F150 20s.

The only truck in my fleet with aftermarket wheels is my Ranger, can't get 16x10s from the factory. My F250 has factory aluminum wheels and I tow bunch with it so it will stay that way. There are idiots out there with Chinese 24x14s on their Superduty towing equipment trailers, just not a bright idea in my opinion.

Oh and just to add about using factory wheels as an upgrade as factory take offs can be found cheap.....
Just depends on what one persons idea of cheap is compared to another...

Just depends on what one persons idea of cheap is compared to another...

Usually a set of lightly used set of factory wheels and tires can be had for less than the price of the 4 tires brand new. The highest option factory wheels might catch a premium though.

Usually a set of lightly used set of factory wheels and tires can be had for less than the price of the 4 tires brand new. The highest option factory wheels might catch a premium though.
I may have to come down your way to shop for factory takeoffs then ;-). Best I can find locally and on the web is not what I would consider "cheap".

I was looking for base 16" malibu wheels only and they are still bringing ~$100+/rim used (even with curb rash). I can get good quality 16" tires for less than $100/tire. I am also looking for some 17" fusion se wheels, and sets of take offs with tires and tpms are still bringing the same $650-750+ depending on life left on tires. I can get good quality 17" tires for way less $650-750/set (usually $250-300/set installed). For some reason, many people in my area seem to think their tires are still "new" even though they only have 5 or 6/32" tread left. Others seem to think curb rash on every wheel still means "good" condition".

Every once in a while, I run across a good deal on a set or a single rim/tire here and there, but it's few and far between and usually sketchy as hell...

Back