anyone running this tire & wheel combo? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

anyone running this tire & wheel combo?

I did some searching in the Tires & Wheels area but didn't find this mix so I figured I'd just ask. I have a friend who will make me a deal on some Goodrich All Terrains that are off his Rubicon. So has anyone run a 255/70/16 on a stock Explorer of the '01 generation? My truck cam stock with 245/75/16 tires and I think the rims are 7" wide but I'm not positive on that.

I don't want to do any thing other than mount them so if they won't work with no modification, I'll tell him I have to pass.

thanks all!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't think the Jeep rims will fit. I believe stock Rubicon wheels are 5x5 bolt pattern. Your Explorers stock wheels are 5x4.5, so not a simple bolt on without adapters. If you're just using the tires, 255/70-16 tires on stock Ex rims no problem, I run them on my '98.

Yeah, I already tried the rims, the bolt pattern is ok but the rim actually hits the brake caliper.

What I want to know is if anyone has mounted these tires on the stock 16" Explorer rims...

Like I said, I run them on my '98.
DSC00562.jpg

So do they "puff out" and get close to rubbing the upper control arm? That was my biggest worry

By the way, Sweet looking Explorer - I wish mine was still that shiny!

So do they "puff out" and get close to rubbing the upper control arm? That was my biggest worry

By the way, Sweet looking Explorer - I wish mine was still that shiny!

Thanks for the compliment, that's still the original paint. I've never had any issues with rubbing. 255/70-16 was an optional tire size on later 2nd gens.

255/70-16 was an optional tire size on later 2nd gens.

Great to know, thanks! I'm going to lay claim to the Rubicon tires today!!!

Back