Anyone still driving 2nd gens? | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anyone still driving 2nd gens?

That is awesome. My first Explorer is dark blue, a little darker than that. I bet that is gorgeous in direct sun.
I'm digging my new blue one(to me) Sport. As soon as the weather clears it's getting detailed

20210124_142914.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Still have mine, although its no longer my DD. Great truck and always a blast to drive. My 4.0 is no race car, especially after adding 33s, but I threw some 4.10s and on there and its manageable. She gets parked for the winter but it's halfway through a 4x4 swap. It's spent its whole life in the Chicago area and it shows, but is still in pretty decent shape compared to anything else around. It's even been through a couple of mini-wrecks. It's basically a weekend/nice weather backup vehicle now but no intention of losing it anytime soon.
Do you wish you had gears lower than 4.10?
Asking because I am considering going with 4.56 with 33's.

I might have done that too, not sure though.
I found that if I tap on it with the blunt end of a screwdriver the problem clears up temporarily. Funny how that happens. It's also a good way to diagnose the AC pressure switch next to the accumulator too lol

Curious if anyone still running a 2nd gen explorer set up? I’ve seen a ton roll out of the garages since we got dumped on with snow up here in the north.
if you’re still running a 2nd gen, any trouble or recent issues?
That’s what I’ve got, a 1996 Sport. I use it for trails and camping. It’s a real pain finding aftermarket upgrades for it but it was really cheap and does the job so I can’t complain. I put some 10.5x31 mud tires on it and haven’t ever had a problem in snow or mud. I’m in Virginia and we’ve been having plenty of both lately!

Curious if anyone still running a 2nd gen explorer set up? I’ve seen a ton roll out of the garages since we got dumped on with snow up here in the north.
That’s what I’ve got, a 1996 Sport. I use it for trails and camping. It’s a real pain finding aftermarket upgrades for it but it was really cheap and does the job so I can’t complain. I put some 10.5x31 mud tires on it and haven’t ever had a problem in snow or mud. I’m in Virginia and we’ve been having plenty of both lately!

5B0BDB14-7FF0-456C-A2FB-329C17481FCB.jpeg

I have a 99 Limited purchased new which has 180000 miles. Now I am retired and use it as a DDD (Dependable Daily Driver). Has had regular maintenance and oil changes every 3-5000 miles. Uses no oil and runs great. Does need intake gaskets replaced as it will not idle when first started and outside temp below freezing. After a minute or two it warms up and idles as normal. Suspension has been biggest problem. Upper and lower A arms and ball joints replaced several times. Have new shocks to replace originals when it warms up here.
A arms, lower ball joints and HUD bearing are all regular maintenance item. After awhile you get good at replacing them

I currently own 4 2nd gen explorers:

2000 XLS, OHV 4WD and 5R55E, 180,000, some issues with oil leaks but rust free.
98 XLT, OHV 4WD and 5R55E, 109,000, some electrical issues and lots of rust (was a PA vehicle).
2000 XLS, OHV 4WDand 5R55E, 79,000, bare bones model but no issues and rust free.
99 XLT, 5.0 AWD and 5R55E, 175,000, rust free. Picking it up tonight!

All have been awesome vehicles. Just the right size for me.

I currently own 4 2nd gen explorers:

2000 XLS, OHV 4WD and 5R55E, 180,000, some issues with oil leaks but rust free.
98 XLT, OHV 4WD and 5R55E, 109,000, some electrical issues and lots of rust (was a PA vehicle).
2000 XLS, OHV 4WDand 5R55E, 79,000, bare bones model but no issues and rust free.
99 XLT, 5.0 AWD and 5R55E, 175,000, rust free. Picking it up tonight!

All have been awesome vehicles. Just the right size for me.
I thought the 5.0 had the 4r70w?

Curious if anyone still running a 2nd gen explorer setup? I’ve seen a ton roll out of the garages since we got dumped on with snow up here in the north.
I doubt I'm driving a 2ng gen Explorer, I think mine is more of a last gen Explorer Sport Trac. But I too have seen a lot more of the Sport Tracs since Central New York got hit with all that snow. Over the summer I only saw about 1 or 2 in the entire Mohawk Valley region. Now I'm seeing like around 4 or 5 of them all around, one of the one's I'm seeing even has a plow on the front.

'96 4.0 XLT 4x4. Just fixed lean codes caused by EGR tube-to-manifold gasket leak. Eliminated CEL, yea. Still have ABS light on.

I frequently drive my 98 4DR XLT 4 wheel drive V6 that I bought new. Only has 86,000 miles because I drive short distances to work and drive 3 different vehicles. Bought a 2018 XLT V6 front wheel drive new for road trips now. Except for the radio, navigation, and adaptive cruise control. I like the 98 better. But on the lower east coast of NC we don't see hardly any snow or ice. About 2 years ago I had the front right expansion plug rust through and blew out about a block from home. I was able to find a copper one and able to replace it myself by accessing through the right front fender well. Glad I didn't have to have the motor pulled.

Mine is running fine, other than the fact that my power steering pressure line just failed. Going to replacing that this afternoon I guess.

Running a 97 mountaineer. Cruise control and horn not functioning. I've changed the airbag and the clockspring and now the key alarm is constant when the drivers door is open. Tried readjusting the ignition contact but no Dice. Also driver side lock switch only locks, does not unlock and it's a 96 1/2 model I haven't found a replacement. It has pins instead of blades. I also replaced cruise control switches. I wired after market horns and button.

When it get's hot outside, mostly when over 90, when getting off the highway, and say approaching a light or stop sign. She will stall/die when starting off again. Have to keep her moving so she won't stall/die, at lights have to put in neutral and ref the engine up. Also, I've had the engine just shut off driving on the highway. In these cases, if I wait about a half hour or so, she will start up again and run good for about 100 miles or so and the engine would just shut off again. I've had the intake manifold gasket replaced, EGR valve, fuel filter, and PCM valve replaced. This has been going on since probably Sep 2012. I'm thinking maybe fuel pump should be replaced. In colder temps outside, especially in the winter, but cannot say for sure, I don't take it on longer trips anymore, she runs great. Otherwise great truck, so far.
Ya .my 2000 xlt 5.0 awd use to do that change the fuel pump and all was good to go .

"2000 XLS, OHV 4WDand 5R55E, 79,000," -------- WOW ... a 4.0 ohv with only 79K on it..... just broken in......sweet....

My Trac is basically a 2nd gen. My first Ex was a 94 XLT-- great vehicle,was pleasantly surprised that her replacement has done even better in snow and off road(or skills have improved?).
Outside of trips, I drive about 500 miles a month, and since 2012, that has been split w/ Subaru Legacy. There are now 108k on the odometer.
Normal maintenance, a new tranny- 5r55 imagine that, and a drivers door handle.
Was gonna trade her in for a '10 Trac Xlt, but the AWD turned me away. Every time it snows here I keep our hill clear by pulling AWDs up and out.
If I were to do it again would have bought the '10 Adrenalin, and no trade in.
Just love this truck.
She is 16 years old, and to reward her service feel it is time to throw " A stack of cash" at her;) @410Fortune

You couldn't pry my wife's 2nd gen from her cold dead fingers
She calls it daisy:whitenavajo:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sure had to take the body off a Chev on to the 98 frame and go Hydro...other than that and some wiring its smoken good.
I have been using a vitamin E rub on the trans. and have brought it back to new......this is non-comfirmed event that Elvis
has left the building.

Back