Anyone tow an Travel Trailer(RV) with a 2011 Exp? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anyone tow an Travel Trailer(RV) with a 2011 Exp?

marc515

Reaction score
City, State
Brick, NJ
We're looking to get travel trailer with a GVWR of about 4,200Lbs, and want to know how the Explorer is at towing.

Main concern is it's front wheel drive, and the tongue weight capacity is only 500Lbs

Can you use a weight distribution hitch on the Exp?

Thank you

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well now I know why I'm not getting any responses.

Just looked at all the local dealer inventory off the Ford web site link, and out of approximately 25 Explorere. only one had the towing package, and that was a FWD model.

Wonder why Ford isn't building more with tow Pkg's?

It's crazy! My dealer had the exact vehicle I wanted, 4x4 and all but it did not have the tow package!

I was not interested in after market hitch and loosing out on the oil cooler, factory wiring and trim piece that hides it all.

Trailer tow is not that much money and an SUV should have it. I know, not everybody tows...

Have you tried asking this question on the Facebook fan page for Ford Explorer? You may get some responses there. It may also be that a lot of people have ordered them with tow packages, but dealers aren't ordering many of their stock vehicles with it.

Got the answer from the 2011 Tow Guide.

To tow over 2,000 Lbs, the Explorer Requires optional Heavy-Duty Trailer Tow Package and weight distributing hitch.

Seems the Explorer is not the best for RV towing

Of course not. Its a crossover. It has a car platform.

I've got the AWD version with the tow package. Come the end of May I'll be putting it to the test towing our '66 Mustang behind it on a 18' steel trailer. We'll see how it behaves.

Not sure I understand your comment; I know it's a crossover, and the camper I plan on towing is only 3,800 GVWR, so we're not talking about a big trailer, and the tow capacity is rated at 5,000.

What I'm having is a hard time understanding what the 5,000 actually means as far as towing a small camper.

My buddy tows a 23 ft. Hybrid trailer that weighs about 4200lbs. and he doesn't have any problems. Said it tows a lot better than his trailblazer did. I don't think he's even using a WD hitch, I'll have to check with him.

We have a 21ft hybrid trailer weighing 3,500lbs and use a WD hitch. We went on a 400 mile trip last month with no problem, except the stock mirrors are not wide enough and they are not adjustable(trailer is 8' wide). Our last TV was a Jeep Liberty which we lost in the blizzard this winter. The Ex is smoother.
FYI, the towing capacity refers to the total weight of the trailer plus any gear, water or 'stuff' you put in it.

I just got back from a 300 mile trip towing my 3400 lb Mach 1 behind the Explorer on a steel trailer that weighs about 1000 lbs. Truck towed it beautifully. Very stable and was able to hold 70 mph in the mountains of Central PA and the Pocono's. I've towed it in the past with my 05 F-150 Supercrew, and the only place the Supercrew was better at towing my car was in low end torque. The Explorer equaled it everywhere else.

I just got back from a 300 mile trip towing my 3400 lb Mach 1 behind the Explorer on a steel trailer that weighs about 1000 lbs. Truck towed it beautifully. Very stable and was able to hold 70 mph in the mountains of Central PA and the Pocono's. I've towed it in the past with my 05 F-150 Supercrew, and the only place the Supercrew was better at towing my car was in low end torque. The Explorer equaled it everywhere else.

Were you using a weight distributing hitch? Your post is quite old; do you have any more feedback on towing to add?

Wasn't using a weight distribution hitch and had zero problems. Since that post, I've towed our '66 Mustang multiple times and our 18' boat (~5000 lbs including trailer) multiple times with zero problems without the weight distribution hitch. I am quite happy with how well my Explorer has towed. I was a little nervous going from the F-150 to the Explorer for towing, but it has been fine.

At some point this summer, I'll be towing the boat around 1100 miles round trip..I'll post back afterwards but I forsee no issues.

I tow a 3,500# Travel Trailer w/ no problem but I would highly suggest a WD hitch, especially w/front wheel drive. The purpose of the WD hitch is to shift the tongue weight back to the front wheels. And you can use a WD w/the Explorer, in fact there is a whole section on how to adjust a weight distributing hitch in the towing section of the manual!

It seems like a capable cross over to me and that is the way the industry is being forced to take.

But that means you get a lot more people who want cars buying EX's and more interested in 20 inch wheels than functional issues like towing.

So those interested in towing or 4wd will likely shift to pickup trucks.

But within stated limits the EX should be capable of towing well just like a lot of other cross overs from other manufacturers

A unibody that can tow 5000 lbs when properly equipped. Not sure how many cars can tow that.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A unibody that can tow 5000 lbs when properly equipped. Not sure how many cars can tow that.

Peter

Yep. The new Range Rover's are unibody and can tow 7,700 lbs while taking 800 lbs off the weight of the vehicle for better handling and gas mileage.

Back