Status
Not open for further replies.

LUVITLO

Reaction score
City, State
Arkansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer Sport
I checked my gas milage on my Explorer Sport 5-Speed manual yesterday (had to use my iphone app cause my odometer is broke) got 23 with a good mix of city and hyw miles but this Tornado thing is a fan like thing u put in the air intake behind the mass airflow censor says it gives you more HP and 33% increase in MPG if that true I could get like 30MPG on my Explorer, has anyone tried one to see if it works?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

my dad has one in his 00 cadi escalade.. i dont think it does, he thinks he might get one mpg out of it... but usually to get a few mpg increase you have to spend quite a bit of money or else the manufacture would just incorporate them into the cars...

People actually buy those? Haha.

Short answer? Yes, people who don't understand the laws of physics or how an internal combustion engine works.

OP: Save your money to buy a cluster with a working odometer.

What infinitesimal good it would be with a carbureted engine is completely lost with fuel injection.
Go to a hypermiler thread and make sure it's for FI.

I've got an electric turbo charger for sale and some swamp and in Florida...

How about a bridge in Brooklyn and a surefire cure for baldness?

TOTAL SNAKE OIL! Don't waste your money. if you're gettng 23 MPG now, that's as good as it gets with this vehicle. The inventor of this stupid thing was interviewed on TV once and he couldn't even explain how/why it worked. I used to work in an auto parts store and I refused to sell them to people.

Dosen't the tonado make the air swirl as it goes into the enigine? Or at least what it is suppose to do? I ask because I always undertood it is better to have smoooth air flow in and out of the enigine to make hp and mpg. Don't know if it would hurt but know it won't help.

Thanks for the input. I was wonderin how itcould work with a stock breather. I'm not sure if it's the cluster I need or a short in the dash cause got some lights that work at times and go off others the tac will wobble and drop to 0 too but I tap the glass and it jumps right back to life. The Explorer literally belonged to a crackhead, took out seats and was cleaning yesterday and found a pipe, copper brillo pads cut up so yeah proof a crackhead owned it no tellin what all a crack head broke lol

agreed on getting a working odometer, tornados are like HHO systems complete placebo effect. If you want to see real increase in mpg for cheap its all about aerodynamic modifications, otherwise its rebuilding motors/trannys for better mpg or regearing to lower rpms

If you're gettng 23 MPG now, that's as good as it gets with this vehicle.

Really that is as good as it gets? What about the whole tread on the MILEAGE MONSTER? He go 30 MPG. Yes I know it takes a bit to get it up there it can be done.

Really that is as good as it gets? What about the whole tread on the MILEAGE MONSTER? He go 30 MPG. Yes I know it takes a bit to get it up there it can be done.

It can done by driving only down hill, changing gearing and/or aerodynamics and reducing rolling resistance. Anyone who tells you anything else is full of it. It's simple physics. There have been products on the market for 50 years that claim to increase MPG with no other modifications. None of them do anything but take your money.

It can done by driving only down hill, changing gearing and/or aerodynamics and reducing rolling resistance. Anyone who tells you anything else is full of it. It's simple physics. There have been products on the market for 50 years that claim to increase MPG with no other modifications. None of them do anything but take your money.

it can be done on flatland to. The OP says he is in a 5 speed this would mean he could do pulse and glide with engine off on the glide. if done correctly he could easy go from 23 to 30.

it can be done on flatland to. The OP says he is in a 5 speed this would mean he could do pulse and glide with engine off on the glide. if done correctly he could easy go from 23 to 30.

yeah, that sounds practical... face it, our trucks have the areodymanics of a barn door and weigh close to 5,000 lbs. they're just not capable of acheiving 30MPG in the real world. i'm thrilled when i see 23+MPG show up on my message center. maybe i could do a bit better if i max'ed out my tire pressure, installed a cold air system and headers, but that's not worth it to me. it would take me forever to recoupe the money i spent on these upgrades and i don't want a ride so rough it shakes my teeth loose. if you want great mileage, buy one of those 46MPG Focus's.

yeah, that sounds practical... face it, our trucks have the areodymanics of a barn door and weigh close to 5,000 lbs. they're just not capable of acheiving 30MPG in the real world. i'm thrilled when i see 23+MPG show up on my message center. maybe i could do a bit better if i max'ed out my tire pressure, installed a cold air system and headers, but that's not worth it to me. it would take me forever to recoupe the money i spent on these upgrades and i don't want a ride so rough it shakes my teeth loose. if you want great mileage, buy one of those 46MPG Focus's.

completely agree if you want good mileage buy a car that already gets good mileage. Not saying you cant get decent mileage, but its going to either cost money or patience.

People get way too caught up in gas mileage. If you can't afford to drive a vehicle as intended and designed, you have the wrong form of transportation. It's like buying a spoon when your goal is to dig a 10 foot hole and getting excited that you found the must efficient way to dig with a spoon. You got the wrong tool in the first place and people shouldn't be impressed that you found out how to dig that hole in a single day when you could have done it in an hour with the proper tool.

People get way too caught up in gas mileage. If you can't afford to drive a vehicle as intended and designed, you have the wrong form of transportation. It's like buying a spoon when your goal is to dig a 10 foot hole and getting excited that you found the must efficient way to dig with a spoon. You got the wrong tool in the first place and people shouldn't be impressed that you found out how to dig that hole in a single day when you could have done it in an hour with the proper tool.

I completely agree with you. I've bought 4 of these vehicles in the past 1.5 years. The only one that I consider a mistake is the 1st one (the SOHC V6). The other 3 are V8's, everyone if my family now drives one and we love them. The total cash outlay, for all 4 of the vehicles, was around $10,000. They all run great (except the V6) have no major mechanical problems and all get about the same fuel economy (including the V6). We have no car payments and the property taxes and insurance premiums are quite low. None of us drive very far in a given week, so frankly we don't really think about fuel mileage. if we drove newer/smaller cars that got great fuel mileage, we'd spend the money on car payments and depreciation each month, plus we wouldn't be able to pull trailers an haul stuff.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just to claify guys OP here I am happy with the 23 MPG i was expecting 19-20 with a v6 but hey if I could pay 25 bucks and get an increase at 3.69 a gallon and climbing I'd do it lol I do plan on getting a K&N cold air intake after I get the needs met first (new tires, fenders, liftgate) i have put cold air on my last 4 vehicles and it only gives 3-5 mpg increase but I like being able to clean my filters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back