• Register Today It's free!

Anyone upgrade from a gen 4 ex ?

tbrown76

Reaction score
City, State
az
Year, Model & Trim Level
2009 ford explorer xlt
im starting to do some research.. I currently have 09 explorer 4.0 L. and wanted to know if any one has feedback on how the 3.5 non eco boost v6 feels compared to the old 4.0 liter. Spec wise current explorer has moe hp but about same torque? Is it more peppy? How is the shifting? How well does it handle mountains? Thanks for any input? I guess a test drive would answer this..but tryin to get some pre dealership info lol

You won't be disappointed. The engine is more responsive and loves to rev. The transmission takes a while to get used to, when you first drive it, it'll shift a lot to try to find the right shift points but it'll get better with time.

We went from a '06 xlt 4.0 to a '16 xlt 3.5. Wife loves it. I will say the 4th Gen was very much more truck like and the new one is more minivan/car like. It's also bigger outside. The cargo area we lost a bit we think due the curvature of the body. Very happy for what we bought it for though.

We just went from an 06 Mountaineer Premier to a 15 Explorer Limited. The Mountaineer had the 4.8L V8, so the Explorer's 3.5L V6 doesn't have the same power, but once you get on it it'll go. My wife and I have both noticed it's very easy to end up driving faster than you intended. The Ex drives and handles well, but it takes some getting used to turning and accelerating when going from a rear wheel drive to front wheel drive. The 5th gens are significantly quieter.

Back