• Register Today It's free!

Anyone use arb donaldson head?

slickemhoundd

Reaction score
City, State
Glassboro, southern jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Limited 5.0
I ordered a ram air arb snorkel head and they sent me the Donaldson fish bowl style head. I know this head is designed to remove dust and debris vs water but being as I'm stuck with it, does anyone have experience with it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

We've used them for years on the bigger forklifts and equipment at work. They work great and really extend the lifespan of the filters in dusty conditions. I've never used one on the road or at speeds above 15-20 MPH, so I cant comment on that aspect.

I'm just wondering if I get past the look out the thing and actually install it that is going to work like I'd want it to. Let's face it, its not a landrover so it'll probably look stupid compared to the ram air, I just want it to work with no issues. It seems more suitable for a desert versus a rainy muddy area.

Used them on farm trucks, but it was pretty rare that we were bogging through enough mud in those trucks to worry about anything other than dust. (I mean real trucks, not pickups). Granted, I've seen fields that get trucks stuck even with both axles locked and the truck being pulled by a tracked tractor that only came out when we brought the biggest tractor we had access to... But still, never really got a lot of splashing that high.

They work GREAT on dust though... I don't know if it would be any good for mud and water, aside from the fact that it is pretty hard for it to get into the intake with the way its shaped.

Knowing me depending upon the obstical i may be a little heavier on the throttle but your right odds are i wouldnt splash that high. BUT on the other hand with the 1"5/8 wheel spacers driving around on wet roads i get to watch the water sling off the tires above the roof. I dont know, im sure it shoudnt be problem i just with i had the head i wanted. I guess my main concern is rain not so much in the woods. hmmm maybe i could put in a oiled panel filter to help with moisture.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying you might not splash that high. We had these on trucks. I mean like double and triple axle, you need a CDL to drive trucks (well, not for a farm but meh).

I will say they weren't a problem with sucking in rain though.

That's the one

Like I said before, we run them on bigger equipment at work. These machines cant fit inside, they spend their whole life in the weather. Rain has never been an issue. Just pull the pre-cleaner apart and clean the dirt out every once in a while.

So you know what I mean by bigger machines, here are some of the machines I'm talking about. As you can see, they dont get out of the rain much.:

nv158358_1.jpg

I may be sold on install. Thank you for your input i think i may bite the bullet and do it up like a land rover ;)

Back