• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Anyone use WorldWind?

gijoecam

Village Idiot
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Trenton, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 ExSport, '00 F-150
Anyone use WorldWind? Everything I've read says it blows WikiMapia, Google Earth, and Windows Live Local out of the water. It installed just fine, I just can;t get it to launch. It appears to be having video card issues, but I'm still not sure....

Anyways... just wondering if anyone uses it and what you think of it?

-Joe

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta, GA (Work) Flint, MI (School)
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XL 4x4
Haven't tried it yet, but it looks excellent. I'm downloading it now. I'll let you know what I think. :thumbsup:

gijoecam

Village Idiot
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Trenton, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 ExSport, '00 F-150
I just wish I could get it to run... I'm pretty sure it's a video card error in my case. :( Didn't want to have to buy a video card, but everything I read on their forums is pointing at two things: 1) it's a video card error, and 2) Everyone on the boards says that buying a new video card is SO worth it. I need a new video card anyways. Heck, it's a 16Mb dual-head Matrox Millennium running two monitors... Not the most efficient video processor out there, but it works for me.

-Joe

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta, GA (Work) Flint, MI (School)
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XL 4x4
I lost my wireless connection before it finished downloading. I will be trying it again tonight. I can't wait to try it. Looks like a great program. I shouldnt have any problems with my video card being a 128mb pci-e card. You should defineltly see an improvement if you upgrade from that card, but I know what you mean, I had a 32mb gforce2 running two monitors for a long time.

Brandons

Reaction score
City, State
Ontario, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
06 F150 SC 5.4
Heres a link to a Wiki page on video card compatibility.
Supported Video Cards

* Matrox Parhelia: ok (performance might benefit from the experimental drivers available)
* Matrox Millenium P650: ok, Crashes if worldwind is used multi-monitor.
* Matrox G550: Partial Support, problems tilting, sometimes crashes in near view (1.3.2 on G550 freezes the OS !)
* Matrox G450 32MB: ok, sometimes crashes in near view but only works up to version 1.3.1.1, otherwise it freezes the whole PC
* Matrox G45+MDVA16D/OEM: Matrox G450 AGP, DDR 16MB, RAMDAC 360 MHz, Matrox driver package: 5.95.005, Graphics BIOS 2.0 b36, DirectX 9.0c; after changing cart to matrox: World Wind Error A Fatal Error has occurred: The following error(s) occurred: Unable to locate a compatible graphics adapter. Make sure you are running the latest version of DirectX.
* Matrox G400 16MB: ok, sometimes crashes in near view
* Matrox G200: unlikely to work
* Matrox G200 Marvel: BSOD in near view

Downloading it right now.

Id give it a shot without dual monitors on, if it would be easy for ya.

EDIT: Doesnt look good for me haha: ATI RADEON X1600PRO : doesn't work at all

Brandons

Reaction score
City, State
Ontario, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
06 F150 SC 5.4
Looks like the DX9.0C runtime files have to be installed, fixed that problem, off to the next.

Attachments

94xlt4x4

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Limited 4x4 3.5L
scroll wheel on the mouse does it for me, not sure if theres another way or not

Brandons

Reaction score
City, State
Ontario, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
06 F150 SC 5.4
Key pad + -, probably have to use the FN (function) key.

Also double left click = zoom in, double right = zoom out

gijoecam

Village Idiot
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Trenton, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 ExSport, '00 F-150
Brandons said:
Looks like the DX9.0C runtime files have to be installed, fixed that problem, off to the next.
There's a link to the updated DX9.0 files on there... Can't remember the username offhand though.... Must be one of the developers though, as he's all over the place and has the links in his signature. (I think it's listed in the FAQs there too...

Looks like I started a revolution?

edit: SO jealous.....

I also was reading last night about a plug-in for it. IIRC, it was called GPS2worldwind. It allowed you to view GPS tracks and plot out GPS routes and overlay them on the maps and view them from the angled projections.... Sounded pretty neat too.

Brandons

Reaction score
City, State
Ontario, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
06 F150 SC 5.4
Im way beyond that gijoe :p, DX 9.0c runtime files for that program are an addon to your original dx 9c, ive been playing with it for a bit now.

I didnt install the addon files for dx at first on account i didnt want to restart (lazy) but it turned out i didnt have to anyways hehe.

looks like the beginning of a revolution to me :p

gijoecam

Village Idiot
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Trenton, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 ExSport, '00 F-150
Update: After upgrading my video card this morning (to a GeForce 6200) it runs great! But I'm less than impressed with it... The interface rocks, but the imagery and view data leaves a lot to be desired. Windows Live Local's web site has much more detailed imagery and is accessed via the web, therefore not requiring a large program install. Also, WLL uses a road map overlay that, although it isn't the most accurate map out there, helps narrow it down. Furthermore, WLL has a 'bird's eye view' mode for areas in which satellites have done low-angle flyovers.

The topo maps on WW are pretty handy though... I really like the detailed resolution. The ones I've been able to get off the DNR web site here in MI are grainy at best.

The jury's still out I guess. I need to play with it some more and do some more reading.

-Joe

-Joe

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Rick Anyone familiar with VoIp? Exploring Computers!! 6
FROADER Anyone know WordPress? Exploring Computers!! 18
ghosttrain2 Google Plus Anyone?? Exploring Computers!! 2
section525 Is anyone here a Citrix pro? Exploring Computers!! 0
Glen4X4 Anyone with wireless Desktop card? Exploring Computers!! 15
B Anyone have Verizon Turbo 7.1mb/s DSL? Exploring Computers!! 3
G Anyone use MS InfoPath? Exploring Computers!! 3
G Anyone use Quattro Pro?? Exploring Computers!! 2
NICE59FORDF100 Anyone Know Of A Good Video Cross-Referencing Database Program? Exploring Computers!! 0
A Anyone familiar with HP's Media Center PC? Exploring Computers!! 5
RFR2212 Anyone see this error before? Exploring Computers!! 4
T Help! Anyone with an audigy 2 or 2zs Please read Exploring Computers!! 5
L Anyone else getting SunTrust Banking emails? Exploring Computers!! 10
Stic-o Anyone know of a good free dowloadable CAD program? Exploring Computers!! 9
R anyone on here knowledgeable in ASP .NET and C# Exploring Computers!! 0
J Delta Force Black Hawk down multiplayer, anyone? Exploring Computers!! 0
M Anyone an MCSE/MCSA that can help me out? Exploring Computers!! 5
NICE59FORDF100 How do i convert .mov to .avi or .mpg? anyone know? Exploring Computers!! 4
L MAME anyone? Exploring Computers!! 3
Rick Does anyone else get this many viruses sent to them??? Exploring Computers!! 16
R Does anyone moonlight as a PC Tech? Exploring Computers!! 8
X Kazaa anyone? (Music)... Exploring Computers!! 16
H Anyone familiar with MS ISA server? Exploring Computers!! 4
X ANYONE WHO CAN FIND PARTS Exploring Computers!! 8
Perry anyone use this software? Exploring Computers!! 3
A Anyone good with Calkwalk HomeStudio? Exploring Computers!! 2
section525 Anyone know javascript? Exploring Computers!! 7
J Does anyone else have both a 2.4GHz phone and a Wireless network? Exploring Computers!! 5
F anyone interested in free website hosting for some peoples Xplorer pages? Exploring Computers!! 13
S powerpoint help, anyone? Exploring Computers!! 1
A Anyone REALLY good with Frontpage? Exploring Computers!! 17
R Anyone Updated XP Lately? Exploring Computers!! 5
K Linux commands anyone? Exploring Computers!! 2
T question for anyone with a DELL Exploring Computers!! 9
R Anyone setup MySQL on a 2K box? Exploring Computers!! 0