• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Anyone with wireless Desktop card?

Glen4X4

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Lewistown, Pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLS
We have DSL with a wireless modem and would like to hook another desktop up to the internet and was looking at the wireless cards that come in USB format or ones that require you to take the side of the computer off and plug it in, which I've done so with other components so that's not a problem. The issue I'm seeing is when looking at either seeing all kinds of mixed reviews and some seem its because they don't know how to install the product right. So I wanted to see if any of you here on the forum have had any experience with any of these products and see what worked best for you my distance will probably be maybe 200ft range.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Turdle

Habla tortuga
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Humboldt, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Mounty
My wireless DSL router has a hard time getting the signal just 60 feet to my garage.

Be sure to place the router as high as possible in the house. Ours is in the second story level

BrianDye

I'll have another...
Reaction score
City, State
Monroe, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 XLT
I had a desktop with the wireless card I added, I have a Linksys router, and the desktop was a compaq with the added Linksys card, and IMHO I wouldnt use those USB wireless things, unless it was just quick and temporary.

Its a very simple setup, I moved my computer numerous times throughout the house (1 story, router on the desk in my bedroom) and never had signal problems, I even bridged my PS2 off of it to play online.

Scotty J.

Packin
Reaction score
City, State
Little Rock, Ar
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 Ford Ranger XLT
Wow 200' is a long way for wireless without a bridge. What you MAY be able to do is use something like this Linksys Wireless-G Range Expander, again 200' is a pretty long range.

I upgraded to 802.11n and love it, but I don't think it has the kind of range you're looking for.

Download NetStumbler. It will tell you not only how many wireless networks are around you, but what channels they are on and signal strength. It's a free program but requires a wireless adapter. Works great on laptops.

Millertime1987

Reaction score
City, State
New Richmond
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Limited 4X4
Pending on the router you have I would get the same kind of Wireless card. A wireless extender would be the cheapest way to get that kind of distance covered. Do you have a smart phone or laptop to test the distance and see what kind of signal you would get?

Glen4X4

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Lewistown, Pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLS
I'm guessing at that distance. My cousin had his laptop within the same distance one day and got signal off of the modem but was only one bar worth. I have found this one since its from Linksys I may give a try http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5131179. There's so many out there but this kind of looks promising it has pretty much all good reviews and an external antenna.

And thanks for the netstubler link, I'll have to try it once I install a wireless card and go from there.

Kriegen

Reaction score
City, State
Montgomery, AL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Mounty 5.0L AWD
x92, even with that one, unless your DSL modem also supports 802.11N, you won't get the range of N. At 200' you will have to use an extender if you want consistent good coverage.

Glen4X4

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Lewistown, Pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLS
Ok....guess there's more to it than I originally thought.

IZwack

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Germantown, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer

kert0307

Reaction score
City, State
Pella, Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 Sport and '89 B2
I used a usb type in college for my desktop to get the free wireless in my building. I had it on a 20 foot usb cord so I could easily move the receiver where it would get the best signal.

Maniak

Moderator-Stock 91-94
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Vail, Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT 4x4
I know I'm a little late to this. But, I gave up on 802.11x desktop cards a while ago.

They are usually shoved under a desk or in a corner etc and they don't pick up signals very well like that.

I use USB 802.11x adapters with a Powered USB hub and then you can get away with a 10ft (sometimes up to 20 ft) of cable so you can put the USB device up so its not shoved down in the corner. I try to buy USB 802.11x devices with external antenna as they seem to pickup the signal better..

Another option. If your current 802.11x router has 2 antennas (like linksys etc) both antennas are active. You can take one factory duckbill antenna off and replace it with a nice high gain direction antenna. I found that with a nice parabolic grid antenna that I can reach upwards of 300 ft to a laptops internal 802.11 adapter. The antenna you leave will work for the computers closer to the 802.11 router/AP and the directional will be for the machines farther out.

~Mark

akcrxnj

Reaction score
City, State
Ogdensburg, New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Sport
You can go with this card which I have used in the past. Its only $12 so there is not much of a lost if it doesn't work. Also don't be worried about the fact its a noname company. This card uses the same chipset as some Linksys and Belkin cards which cost much more.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...41&cm_re=wireless_card-_-33-315-041-_-Product

Also depending on what type of router you are using you can run dd-wrt. In a nutshell if you have a supported router you can reload the firmware on it with dd-wrt. One of the nice things about doing this is that you can set the Gain on the antennas giving you some extra range. I place a link to the install video below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hXgK6INpkI

IZwack

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Germantown, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer
Another option. If your current 802.11x router has 2 antennas (like linksys etc) both antennas are active. You can take one factory duckbill antenna off and replace it with a nice high gain direction antenna.
Not sure you can do that with MIMO (.11N) - MIMO uses the multiple antennas as multiple paths for the same transmission channel after the signal has reflected off of the environment. I think you'd be forced to replace both antennas.

Maniak

Moderator-Stock 91-94
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Vail, Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT 4x4
Hrm.. that is possible. I don't get to mess with 802.11n so I can't say for sure.. If it does use both antennas for split path then yes, you would need to replace both which will get expensive.

~Mark

KPT

Reaction score
City, State
NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 XL 4x4
Wow so I'm way late to this but have you figured anything out?

If not I have a few these Cisco wireless cards. They're just collecting dust here, I'd let one go cheap.

If anything is going to work that far one of those would be the best bet. Must better range than any linksys/ belkin/ netgear/ etc junk.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Does anyone else have both a 2.4GHz phone and a Wireless network? Exploring Computers!! 5
Rick Anyone familiar with VoIp? Exploring Computers!! 6
FROADER Anyone know WordPress? Exploring Computers!! 18
ghosttrain2 Google Plus Anyone?? Exploring Computers!! 2
section525 Is anyone here a Citrix pro? Exploring Computers!! 0
B Anyone have Verizon Turbo 7.1mb/s DSL? Exploring Computers!! 3
G Anyone use MS InfoPath? Exploring Computers!! 3
G Anyone use Quattro Pro?? Exploring Computers!! 2
NICE59FORDF100 Anyone Know Of A Good Video Cross-Referencing Database Program? Exploring Computers!! 0
G Anyone use WorldWind? Exploring Computers!! 12
A Anyone familiar with HP's Media Center PC? Exploring Computers!! 5
RFR2212 Anyone see this error before? Exploring Computers!! 4
T Help! Anyone with an audigy 2 or 2zs Please read Exploring Computers!! 5
L Anyone else getting SunTrust Banking emails? Exploring Computers!! 10
Stic-o Anyone know of a good free dowloadable CAD program? Exploring Computers!! 9
R anyone on here knowledgeable in ASP .NET and C# Exploring Computers!! 0
J Delta Force Black Hawk down multiplayer, anyone? Exploring Computers!! 0
M Anyone an MCSE/MCSA that can help me out? Exploring Computers!! 5
NICE59FORDF100 How do i convert .mov to .avi or .mpg? anyone know? Exploring Computers!! 4
L MAME anyone? Exploring Computers!! 3
Rick Does anyone else get this many viruses sent to them??? Exploring Computers!! 16
R Does anyone moonlight as a PC Tech? Exploring Computers!! 8
X Kazaa anyone? (Music)... Exploring Computers!! 16
H Anyone familiar with MS ISA server? Exploring Computers!! 4
X ANYONE WHO CAN FIND PARTS Exploring Computers!! 8
Perry anyone use this software? Exploring Computers!! 3
A Anyone good with Calkwalk HomeStudio? Exploring Computers!! 2
section525 Anyone know javascript? Exploring Computers!! 7
F anyone interested in free website hosting for some peoples Xplorer pages? Exploring Computers!! 13
S powerpoint help, anyone? Exploring Computers!! 1
A Anyone REALLY good with Frontpage? Exploring Computers!! 17
R Anyone Updated XP Lately? Exploring Computers!! 5
K Linux commands anyone? Exploring Computers!! 2
T question for anyone with a DELL Exploring Computers!! 9
R Anyone setup MySQL on a 2K box? Exploring Computers!! 0
College Student wireless internet Exploring Computers!! 14
Stic-o Wireless router to wireless router? Exploring Computers!! 3
J Need help with Wireless Adapter Exploring Computers!! 22
Ray Lobato Wireless N Router Exploring Computers!! 2
kert0307 Use a wireless router as a reciever? Exploring Computers!! 10
G windows vista question (wireless card) Exploring Computers!! 9