Anything else to look forward to? | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anything else to look forward to?

263k km.... jesus tech....

i would drive up there to have u look at my gen 2 if it was possible. (Philly,Pa) truck needs something.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Tech -

so you can examine the timing components on 4.0 with the valve covers off and that should give me an idea if anything is broken ?
What about the lower oil pan ?

You can see it from both. If you pull the valve covers you can see the plastic and what shape it is in. And pulling the pan, odds are you will find the springs from the jackshaft to cam shaft tensioner, and any pieces of the cassettes that were small enough to make their way down there.

Well, either a stuck lifter on 2 now, or a burnt valve. I will try some seafoam but by looking into my crystal ball I am betting I will be pulling a head and spending more money this weekend. A Toyota Tacoma cant come quick enough. Also got a gas smell in the garage and I can hear an injector loosing pressure. Need to check the felpro orings I replaced earlier this week. What a pile of junk.
So...lifter or burnt valve? What was the issue?

It was a while ago, but if I remember right, it ended up being an injector. The rubber o-ring was toast and it was pissing all the gasoline out the side. It wasn't getting wet because it was all vapor, but when I popped the hood with it running you could sure smell it. A second compression test, if I remember right, was normal. She actually rolled over 270000 so it has 100000 on it since I put it back together and seems to be running okay. Bit of rattle at startup these days but not too bad. Other then putting new tires on it this spring, and fixing a wiring issue in the battery cable/charge cable it has been a decent, reliable vehicle. Knock on wood.

Last edited:

Spoke too soon. I was due for something to go wrong. Woke to a CEL sunday morning. stored code P0108. Had a look at the MAF sensor harness and low and behold, the sheathing was missing from pretty much every wire, right where it goes under the loom. New connector and MAF sensor on order, insulated them for now with electrical tape. I am just hoping the other end of that wire is in better shape, and there are no other bad spots under the loom.

Spoke too soon. I was due for something to go wrong. Woke to a CEL sunday morning. stored code P0108. Had a look at the MAF sensor harness and low and behold, the sheathing was missing from pretty much every wire, right where it goes under the loom. New connector and MAF sensor on order, insulated them for now with electrical tape. I am just hoping the other end of that wire is in better shape, and there are no other bad spots under the loom.

I Got a tire sensor fault this week and the brakes were squeeling on the passenger front. so i went to check them. the backing on the pad was rusty and it slipped past the normal contour of the pad and was dragging on the brake clips. snips, file and brake grease and its good to go. Also

I just took off and cleaned the TB. and MAF this weekend. i Have the K&N CIA (wish i just bought the f150 TB mod) and the plastic locking mechanism / clip for the harness is broke on mine.

How many miles on your ST now?

Getting close to 280000 kms. I'm just hoping it doesn't find its way back to an EGR/vacuum issue. My guess is the wires have been like that for a while and It isn't the cause, but a bonus on this failure. Rock auto has the harness for around 40 bucks.

Alas the death rattle has returned. Pulled the valve covers last night and the rear seems to be solid, barely any ware after a little over 110k kms, but the front has split. Thinking I will pop a new one in, as I don't have to pull the motor. Oh, BTW, the old girl has been moved to light duty and winter usage.

Alas the death rattle has returned. Pulled the valve covers last night and the rear seems to be solid, barely any ware after a little over 110k kms, but the front has split. Thinking I will pop a new one in, as I don't have to pull the motor. Oh, BTW, the old girl has been moved to light duty and winter usage.
Mileage update?

Not 100% sure without looking but If I remember right a little over 280k kms. Battery is out or I would go check

You're lucky it was the front cassette!

You're lucky it was the front cassette!
My thoughts exactly. Just got the balancer off and the timing cover. Every one of the springs is broken in there too. Just going to cut the balance shaft chain. I don't feel like dropping the cradle with it in the truck. Here i come rock auto.

Tech - after you cut the balance chain off, are you planning reinstall it or leave it by itself ?

Tech - after you cut the balance chain off, are you planning reinstall it or leave it by itself ?
I'm not dropping the cradle so I will just pull the chain and leave the balance shaft. Parts came in last night. The cloys kit doesn't include the balance shaft chain, tensioner, guide or gear, though it is listed as being for engine with balance shaft. My guess is cutting the balance shaft is their intention.

I'm not dropping the cradle so I will just pull the chain and leave the balance shaft. Parts came in last night. The cloys kit doesn't include the balance shaft chain, tensioner, guide or gear, though it is listed as being for engine with balance shaft. My guess is cutting the balance shaft is their intention.
I just received my Cloyes kit 9-0398SB last week and I'm sure the balance shaft sprocket and chain are included, guess I'd better cut the straps and open up the box to check, if I'm going to rebuild this thing I don't want to be missing parts..

Well, its been a little over a year with my sport trac, And I do like the truck a lot. The repairs though, do suck. I think I have taken care of most of the common repairs listed on the site as well as the regular maintenance. I was wondering if their is anything else I should be looking out for?
Here is all that I have taken care of so far,

Cracked Rad replaced, PCM flash upgrade, Wheel Bearing, Jammed up 6 disc changer replaced, alined and glued door seals.
as for maintenance, Regular Oil Changes, Transmission filter and fluid. Plugs and air filter (4.0L), Brake fluid change, and $1600 worth of tires. With just over 150k kms:ca: I am into it for about $2000 including tires, and another $500 in accessories, by doing the labour myself.

Any other expenses I can be looking forward to in the next year, or have I taken care of most of the weak points in this truck?

@@@
Ball joints are easy in my opinon on the Sport Trac - go to Detroit Axle, order the whole a-frame with the ball joints in - bottom is 4 bolts - tops are 2 bolts. Very easy stuff and for maybe $150-200ish you can do all four. Detroit Axle has all the hub bearing and other things too - mine is a 2007 XLT with 130K on it - did all the drive line and suspension (axles/ball joints/hub bearings/rotors) for maybe $750 if that - it's like brand new and ready for another 100+K

@@@
Ball joints are easy in my opinon on the Sport Trac - go to Detroit Axle, order the whole a-frame with the ball joints in - bottom is 4 bolts - tops are 2 bolts. Very easy stuff and for maybe $150-200ish you can do all four. Detroit Axle has all the hub bearing and other things too - mine is a 2007 XLT with 130K on it - did all the drive line and suspension (axles/ball joints/hub bearings/rotors) for maybe $750 if that - it's like brand new and ready for another 100+K

any issue with ABS wiring or anything like that?
think i saw an issue with moog replacement front replacement hubs have a weird connector - curious

@@@

Oh christ, that was just the beginning.... Lol.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

any issue with ABS wiring or anything like that?
think i saw an issue with moog replacement front replacement hubs have a weird connector - curious

@@@
None with the Detroit Axle hubs - ABS line had all the snap connectors on in right place - total plug and play. Took longer to get tire and brakes off

Back