AOD rebuild questions

woti4g

Reaction score
City, State
Gila NM
Year, Model & Trim Level
1988 ford ranger xl
Hi
i am working on an aod transmission and i have a question. ( tranny is about a 1989 year model i don't know what it came out of). there is a snap ring installed inside the ring gear right above the direct clutch drum. obviously it sits in a groove cut inside the ring gear. i can't find any info or mention of this anywhere. i am not sure of the purpose of this snap ring. so should i leave it where it is or what to do with it. i guess it bugs me because i can't find any info on it. i have gotten some real good info and pictures from your website for the aod in the rebuild diaries. i had a lot of info from your website on a prior computer but it crashed and i lost most of the info i had, and i can't seem to find it again. i have never attempted to work on an automatic transmission and no one will be more surprised than me if it works when i get through.
thank you very much

I moved you thread to our transmission forum where the right folks should see it.

im not ent9rely sure of which part you are speaking of, can you provide a picture? in general, if it was there, leave it there... if it aint broke, dont fix it! :D :D :D

Back