• Register Today It's free!

Apple Car Play

Tyleryac

Reaction score
City, State
NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Ford Explorer XLT
I am looking to add an Apple Car Play stereo receiver to my Explorer.

There is one problem..USB is required for Car Play to work and all of the units have rear USB's.

If I install one of these, what is the best way/place to run the lightning cable from the rear of the receiver to the center console?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Tyler, I have an Android/Pandora/etc type HU in my 2G, it connects via a Bluetooth adapter in the rear usb, and has usb up front also for jump drives & charger cables. Probably not much help because I don't even know what carplay is. Best wishes.
Doc

CarPlay basically mirrors your iPhone on to the reciver. It has to be hardwired via usb and the only USB ports on this Pioneer are on the rear.

I'm trying to find a good way to run the rear usb to the front console.

Something like this could work

I did this in mine to run from the back of the stereo through the center console.

3c2bca7b9e.jpg

82273d5c1a.jpg

Yeah, I popped out the center console and stereo cluster. If I recall there's just one bolt in the cubby where you see my phone. Then you can open the center console and use a butter knife to pry it forward and up. The whole center section will release and pop out.

There's a lot of room so it's easy to run cable.

My setup would be a bit different than what you're doing but the concept is the same. On my the 3.5mm is the only thing running to the stereo. The USB in my case is only for charging, not data since I'm using the stock head unit.

Okay. Thanks for the tip, Barry.

Tyler, find yourself a USB jack, one that can mount in a ⅞" drilled hole, run an extension cable up to the rear of the HU. There are some jacks available with a nice finished appearance. I'll post back if I can find one.

I bought a Pioneer head unit a few months back with the USB port on the front. I just plug and go with no mods necessary. Still bummed I lost the functionality of the rear DVD system.

Tyler, find yourself a USB jack, one that can mount in a ⅞" drilled hole, run an extension cable up to the rear of the HU. There are some jacks available with a nice finished appearance. I'll post back if I can find one.

I would prefer not to drill. That is why I like the product as seen above.

Take the stock power power port out, replace it with a jack. Get a jack & cable and you'll be GTG.

Take the stock power power port out, replace it with a jack. But what you are looking at above is a USB charging port, not a jack. Get a jack & cable and you'll be GTG.

The one I linked can also carry data. Just depends on the device it's hooked up to. The one I have in mine is only hooked up for power but I could easily plug it into a head unit with USB support and pass data.

Take the stock power power port out, replace it with a jack. Get a jack & cable and you'll be GTG.

That's exactly what I'm doing with the product Barry suggested

I installed everything yesterday, and is working great. Pictures to come...

Back