• Register Today It's free!

Apple CarPlay over bluetooth?

jmdeacon

Reaction score
City, State
Santa Barbara, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020, Explorer Platinum
I just received my new 2020 Platinum Explorer. It appears to me that Apple CarPlay can only be used with the USB cord attached. Apple says it can be used over bluetooth if the manufacturer allows it by holding down the voice activation button on the steering wheel for a few seconds. When I do that, I get Siri but it does not open up and start using CarPlay.

I can't find any specifics about this online. So, it appears to me that Ford is not allowing bluetooth connections with Apple CarPlay. Is this correct? If so, any idea why Ford would not allow it when it is possible from the Apple end of things? Since it has the wireless charge pad, makes no sense to have to plug into USB.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wireless car play is, I believe, a feature Apple requires manufacturers to license and pay additional fees to add to vehicles. I've driven a BMW that has it, and if there are others that allow it there aren't many. I was hoping someone would figure out a way to mimic a wired connection but haven't seen it yet. I seriously doubt our current Fords will ever have that but who knows.

I can't find any specifics about this online. So, it appears to me that Ford is not allowing bluetooth connections with Apple CarPlay. Is this correct? If so, any idea why Ford would not allow it when it is possible from the Apple end of things? Since it has the wireless charge pad, makes no sense to have to plug into USB.

you are correct. Wireless CarPlay is not available (yet) for the explorer. I think BMW and one other manufacturer are the only ones who have it so far. I also agree it’s a pain to have to plug it in for full CarPlay features unless.

you are correct. Wireless CarPlay is not available (yet) for the explorer. I think BMW and one other manufacturer are the only ones who have it so far. I also agree it’s a pain to have to plug it in for full CarPlay features unless.

Do you think that using a USB Bluetooth dongle would work to accomplish the same thing?

I know I keep complaining about this, but for me CarPlay even on USB is about useless as its soooo small jammed in the upper 1/3 of our wonderfully large and completely wasted 10.1 portrait mode display. If they don't come out with some Sync updates to address the horrible design implementation on the 10.1, I am seriously going to look at what it will take to source parts to install the 8.4" Landscape mode instead and rip the 10.1 out. I really love my massaging seats and little extra punch my audio has, but had I realized they f'd the 10.1 as bad as they did... I would have passed on the Tech package. Also note the TINY view we get of our reverse camera and such... WTF??? (yeah I know I can hit the button and make it a little better, but its WAAY better with the landscape 8.4")

It really concerns me that they did not even do portrait in the Aviator. If it was such a great premium upgrade... it would be in the Lincolns. I fear it was a mistake and the Explorer will be the only Ford vehicle with it... which does not bode well to expect Ford to commit developer resources to fix this abomination.

I have disabled CarPlay all together and just use Waze native through Sync/Applink and went back to Pandora so at least I get thumbs up/down etc. and can browse my music libraries... (which you loose much of that integration when only connected via bluetooth).

I have been watching the Sync Forums along with the Blue Oval forums hoping to see others complaining and maybe some news about updates coming... sadly maybe I am the only one so irritated by it.

Sorry... Off my Soap Box. :(

Do you think that using a USB Bluetooth dongle would work to accomplish the same thing?

I doubt there is any way you will get the vehicle to recognise the Bluetooth to USB interface.

i think Apple is developing something for CarPlay to not always have it in landscape mode which is why it doesn’t fill the screen on those of you with the 10.1. If you think about it, the iPhone itself is already in portrait mode so it’s weird they can’t just mirror that onto your 10.1 screen. One of the reasons I didn’t want the bigger screen was because of all that dead space using CarPlay.

Im convinced there will be an update (phone or the car) that will change that. I’ve been reading a lot online about European cars such as Renault that have the same large portrait screen so it’s not just explorer owners stuck with the CarPlay. I believe some Hyundai’s too.

i think Apple is developing something for CarPlay to not always have it in landscape mode which is why it doesn’t fill the screen on those of you with the 10.1. If you think about it, the iPhone itself is already in portrait mode so it’s weird they can’t just mirror that onto your 10.1 screen. One of the reasons I didn’t want the bigger screen was because of all that dead space using CarPlay.

Im convinced there will be an update (phone or the car) that will change that. I’ve been reading a lot online about European cars such as Renault that have the same large portrait screen so it’s not just explorer owners stuck with the CarPlay. I believe some Hyundai’s too.

Yes, 13.x IOS brings scaling CarPlay, sadly it has to be implemented by the car manufacturer. Which given the previous development cycles and history of updates we have seen through the generations of Sync, I fear I won’t see any significant improvements until I move on to my next model upgrade. I have been driving new Ford vehicles for near 30 years now. So I have 1st hand experiences with all the iterations of Sync and Fords infotainment platform. I generally have always approached it as “be happy the way it is now” as the likelihood of any significant upgrades are slim and usually released to the next model year. And in a number of cases have required new hardware to take advantage. (New USB hub to get CarPlay for example on my 2016 MKC).

Yes, 13.x IOS brings scaling CarPlay, sadly it has to be implemented by the car manufacturer. Which given the previous development cycles and history of updates we have seen through the generations of Sync, I fear I won’t see any significant improvements until I move on to my next model upgrade. I have been driving new Ford vehicles for near 30 years now. So I have 1st hand experiences with all the iterations of Sync and Fords infotainment platform. I generally have always approached it as “be happy the way it is now” as the likelihood of any significant upgrades are slim and usually released to the next model year. And in a number of cases have required new hardware to take advantage. (New USB hub to get CarPlay for example on my 2016 MKC).

Ford won't change anything like that any time soon.

Portrait mode screen was a WTF moment for me, but when I saw these thick bezels and all the useless space in the middle. I test drove both ST with both screens and the back up camera was smaller and the screen was so much more confusing with blank spots.

I don't care about those 2 mini extra speakers and I am not the one that will use those massage seats. I am glad I took the vertical normal screen. It seems even faster to switch between the menus too, but I have to double check on that one. It seems to be a bit more responsive.

I am also hoping that Ford will release a new update to the Portrait orientated screen so that they can see more things on their screen. It won't be coming any time soon as we have almost never seen Ford changing these Sync 3 or whatever the previous screens were.

BMW charges $99/yr for wireless CarPlay to counteract the Apple cost - I believe.

Heck I would pay $500 a year if it meant Ford fixed the design layout of the portrait 10.1 and gave me useable CarPlay, much less actually getting wireless Carplay.

It's just one of those things that after all these years of buying new cars, I think I have my check list all figured out. So when I miss something as obvious as the horrible implementation of the portrait mode 10.1... it REALLY gets under my skin.

Heck I would pay $500 a year if it meant Ford fixed the design layout of the portrait 10.1 and gave me useable CarPlay, much less actually getting wireless Carplay.

It's just one of those things that after all these years of buying new cars, I think I have my check list all figured out. So when I miss something as obvious as the horrible implementation of the portrait mode 10.1... it REALLY gets under my skin.

If you are that miserable, you should probably sell it.

If you are that miserable, you should probably sell it.
LOL love everything else about it. If Ford does not give us any updates, once 2020 parts start being available I will source the parts to go 8.4.

LOL love everything else about it. If Ford does not give us any updates, once 2020 parts start being available I will source the parts to go 8.4.

Agreed. Have only had it for a few days but everything else about the car seems great.

There's just so many ridiculous interface decisions that were made with the portrait screen. Personally I love Carplay and want to use that exclusively but having the Waze full screen is super important too. There's a lot to fix with the interface and some could be apple and some ford so i'm not optimistic that will happen quickly but I'd be much happier to just get back the Ford Sync icon in carplay to switch back to the For Sync interface without disconnecting Carplay.

So you will give up the massaging seats? If that's the case, why even get the tech package? And I would be interested to see how your 14 speaker system would work on the 8" screen that only has 12 speakers.

So you will give up the massaging seats? If that's the case, why even get the tech package? And I would be interested to see how your 14 speaker system would work on the 8" screen that only has 12 speakers.

Seats, Audio all stays the same. Only changes would be necessary dash pieces around it that would need to swap out to support the 8.4". Then FORScan to tell the APIM its a 8.4 vs. the 10.1, which by the way is already currently in non-AsBuilt sections in Forscan and the settings work, meaning can be applied as I have played with them.

Guarantee you the speakers are driven from connectivity to the AMP(s) which does not care about what screen is running it. Granted I am doing some guessing here, but from previous upgrade paths and how Ford feeds the AMPs... again... I would bet just replacing the screen and some FORScan and bingo... Landscape existence.

When the parts become available if they are even remotely affordable and Ford has not done any updates... I will put my money where my mouth is and be a guinea pig to test the whole scenario out. I am also keep my eyes open for totaled Explorers where I might be able to get the parts (3 dash pieces and the display) cheaper.

Seats, Audio all stays the same. Only changes would be necessary dash pieces around it that would need to swap out to support the 8.4". Then FORScan to tell the APIM its a 8.4 vs. the 10.1, which by the way is already currently in non-AsBuilt sections in Forscan and the settings work, meaning can be applied as I have played with them.

Guarantee you the speakers are driven from connectivity to the AMP(s) which does not care about what screen is running it. Granted I am doing some guessing here, but from previous upgrade paths and how Ford feeds the AMPs... again... I would bet just replacing the screen and some FORScan and bingo... Landscape existence.

When the parts become available if they are even remotely affordable and Ford has not done any updates... I will put my money where my mouth is and be a guinea pig to test the whole scenario out. I am also keep my eyes open for totaled Explorers where I might be able to get the parts (3 dash pieces and the display) cheaper.

If you tell it you have the 8" screen, dont you need to load the 8" software? And if that is the case, how would you control the massaging seats since that controll is only available with the 10" screen?

Seems to me you would lose that functionality since you would have the 8" display and settings/menus.

That would certainly void any warranty on the system and possibly any connected features it controls.

Peter

If you tell it you have the 8" screen, dont you need to load the 8" software? And if that is the case, how would you control the massaging seats since that controll is only available with the 10" screen?

Seems to me you would lose that functionality since you would have the 8" display and settings/menus.

Nope... it's just the theme and size. Again... we will know for sure when I can play with it, but for example the F150 has the 8.4 and it has massage in the menus. If I kill the AsBuilt bits that tell it I don't have massage, the options disappears from the settings menus. If I did not have massage and added all the crap needed, I would go into the AsBuilt and enable the bits needed to tell the APIM I have massage (Maybe more then just the APIM, probably the BCM as well).

My guess is all the menu, car setup sections will be the same. When I was playing with telling the APIM that I had a 8.4" screen instead of a 10.1... it literally had the entire content in the upper 1/3 and nothing below that. This is how I am sure this it will work. If you look in FORScan at the APIM settings (and this is without even having to go into AsBuilt data changes) I can tell the APIM I have any number of themes, GT, ST, Lincoln, Raptor... and of course there are two new ones in there now that we did not have before "Ford 10.1 and Lincoln 10.1". I can simply tell it I have Ford or ST instead of the Ford 10.1 option. It reformats the screen, but what options show on that screen, what features I have in the vehicle settings are set in the AsBuilt data. We would not be molesting any of that.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Apple charges copious amounts for their Bluetooth stacks.

Back