Apple CarPlay over bluetooth? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

• Holiday Special! - 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a two year membership! If you have an existing Elite membership contact me by PM and I will upgrade your account manually.

Click Here to start your membership and get rid of the ads!

Apple CarPlay over bluetooth?

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Russell, Ontario (Ottawa area)
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
Definitely wrong, Apple is not charging for CarPlay, BMW is charging for the service. Probably to have the software updated or because they can. Alpine makes a wireless CarPlay radio and the only fee you pay is the cost of the radio.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:

Peter

Holiday Special! Join the Elite Explorers $20 for 2 years! Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Sdca7718

Reaction score
City, State
Norfolk
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer Limited
I think it's all about how you want to distribute the costs... I'm pretty sure Apple charges BMW a separate licensing fee to grant wireless access to carplay. So BMW can give it away, they could charge it as an option 100% up front, or as a subscription. However definitely true that Apple doesn't force BMW to charge customers a sub fee.
Still wrong, being pretty sure about something you know nothing about is interesting. They made it available years ago and only a few manufacturers have used it. More are coming in the next couple of years but it has been a slow process. Any vehicle that has Bluetooth and wifi can have the software written to implement CarPlay, there are no hidden costs other than the manufacturers own. Apple doesn’t charge for things like this, only MFI or lightning cable licenses. Unless you have some actual proof, you shouldn’t spread false information.

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Russell, Ontario (Ottawa area)
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
.................................... Unless you have some actual proof, you shouldn’t spread false information.
The only statement of fact made was the last one about Apple not forcing BMW to charge customers a sub fee. The rest was all speculation on the member's part. There are numerous posts in this forum based on 'speculation'.

Peter

northvibe

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Ford Explorer XLT
Has anyone had theirs glitch out every so often? Haven’t had mine plugged in for a while but I bet when my xm goes to full price I’ll cancel and go back to wireless CarPlay so it’s easier and faster to stream off my phone

mallthus

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Longmont, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer Platinum
Has anyone had theirs glitch out every so often?
Yeah. The dongle glitching out on Siri activation on any Ford with Sync 3 is a known issue. I gave mine to my wife and she’s using it trouble free in her Leaf. I’m keeping an eye peeled for a fix (other than rolling back the software and introducing other problems). Getting a 90° Lightning cable made plugging in tolerable for now.
1DCE0BA2-6BD0-415D-B871-6E6F6D54661F.jpeg

northvibe

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Ford Explorer XLT
Yeah. The dongle glitching out on Siri activation on any Ford with Sync 3 is a known issue. I gave mine to my wife and she’s using it trouble free in her Leaf. I’m keeping an eye peeled for a fix (other than rolling back the software and introducing other problems). Getting a 90° Lightning cable made plugging in tolerable for now. View attachment 341651
Mine is glitching a lot. I even did another firmware update. Unit acts worse in my ram. ill have to try it again too get specifics but it would keep bouncing the phone connection.

mallthus

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Longmont, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer Platinum
Mine is glitching a lot. I even did another firmware update. Unit acts worse in my ram. ill have to try it again too get specifics but it would keep bouncing the phone connection.
Weird. My wife hasn’t said anything. Could be a byproduct of the newest iOS update. Always the downside of using products not blessed by Cupertino.