• Register Today It's free!

Apple CarPlay takes over Sync3

Matt1220

Reaction score
City, State
New Brunswick
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
I assume this is answered somewhere but why oh why can I not have access to Sync3 while Apple CarPlay is active?? Why can’t I plug in and have Apple CarPlay added to the list of buttons running along the bottom instead of it simply replacing them? I want to take advantage of the Apple apps and use Sync3’s full screen Navigation on the big screen simultaneously....NOPE. Am I missing something?? Is this apple or ford? It’s one of my most aggravating pet peeves.

Matt

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ford. There isn't any coexistence in SYNC 3. Though I believe Apple prefers the total control scenario like SYNC 3 has.

I assume this is answered somewhere but why oh why can I not have access to Sync3 while Apple CarPlay is active?? Why can’t I plug in and have Apple CarPlay added to the list of buttons running along the bottom instead of it simply replacing them? I want to take advantage of the Apple apps and use Sync3’s full screen Navigation on the big screen simultaneously....NOPE. Am I missing something?? Is this apple or ford? It’s one of my most aggravating pet peeves.

Matt

Not only that but have you tried to use two phones that are paired to the system while one is connected to Apple CarPlay? The system won't let you. If I have my personal phone connected to Apple CarPlay, I should be able to receive calls over bluetooth on my work phone but no. Yet my Honda could do this and it cost almost half the price of the Explorer. Shame Ford, shame...

Not only that but have you tried to use two phones that are paired to the system while one is connected to Apple CarPlay?

Did the Honda allow that? Just curious. I know Apple requires Bluetooth to be switched off in CP in favor of the wired connection.

Did the Honda allow that? Just curious. I know Apple requires Bluetooth to be switched off in CP in favor of the wired connection.
This isn’t an apple thing. I never turn my Bluetooth off, and it still functions while using car play. This must be a Ford thing.

This isn’t an apple thing. I never turn my Bluetooth off, and it still functions while using car play. This must be a Ford thing.

When CarPlay is running, calling and all that routes via the phone vs Bluetooth. I think one of the coexistence annoyances is CarPlay requires the HU to drop Bluetooth and only the phone is allowed to handle calling and the like. I don't really use it myself though, but that's how I've seen it on FoMoCo and some others like GM when I did try it out.

I can use CarPlay, and I can still use the phone through the stereo for calls, or whatever.

I can use CarPlay, and I can still use the phone through the stereo for calls, or whatever.

Right, the phone is handling the connection in that case via CarPlay directly. Not sure how the wireless version works, though I'd guess they'd just handle it all via the WiFi side of things.

I’m not following the problem. What’s supposed to handle the call besides the phone? I can use CarPlay AND Bluetooth earpieces.

I’m not following the problem. What’s supposed to handle the call besides the phone? I can use CarPlay AND Bluetooth earpieces.

Talking different scenarios I think. The earpieces are paired to the phone though, right? Once the phone connects and CarPlay starts, it only uses that one wired connection and so the vehicle -> phone connection drops. What I was curious is if anyone had CarPlay running and at the same time had a secondary phone connected to the vehicle via the vehicle BT. I haven't encountered on that does that personally.

When CarPlay is connected, that is the main controller, if you want to switch back then select the Ford app and the defaults screens are back. Then Go back to CarPlay by choosing the CarPlay button.

Welcome to the Forum Chad.:wave:

Peter

Right, the phone is handling the connection in that case via CarPlay directly. Not sure how the wireless version works, though I'd guess they'd just handle it all via the WiFi side of things.
Yes, instead of cable, wireless CarPlay uses WiFi for CarPlay display and phone/ CarPlay audio

When CarPlay is connected, that is the main controller, if you want to switch back then select the Ford app and the defaults screens are back. Then Go back to CarPlay by choosing the CarPlay button.
I may be wrong, and I hope I am, but this option no longer exists in the current Sync3 configuration. When I plug my iPhone in and authorise Apple Carplay, that's it. Either I live with Apple CarPlay having full control of everything or I unplug my phone. I can't simply go back and forth using the "Ford" icon... it's not there anymore.

I just recently purchased a Toyota and when I plug my iPhone in a Toyota Icon appears in the Apps list. When I select it, I switch back to the standard Toyota screen and infotainment. I can quickly and easily switch back and forth.

Ford... nope... soooooo frustrating.... yet I assume it's an easy fix that for some stupid reason they refuse to implement.

I just installed sync 3 in my 2015 yesterday and the ford icon is on the carplay menu, and it goes to the sync 3 screen. I have 3.4 version. That being said, you go into carplay settings on phone, you can decide which icons show up on carplay screen, the sync icon is default and cannot be removed. On my carplay screen it just says FORD. Now my sync 3 does not have navigation, but when push the ford icon and it goes to Sync screen, navigation show up on the alternate screen, using the navigation from my phone.

Back