• Register Today It's free!

Apple shows Siri car integration!

baxterdown

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Limited

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's just a hook / trigger to the iPhone... not even remotely close to what MFT is. For those of us with out iPhones it's useless. To be perfectly honest, if it was a fully integrated system I'd look elsewhere anyway. I am by no means a fan of "i" anything. This coming from a reformed Apple user.

^What copter said^

Ford has quite the presence at CES 2012. From the slick Evos concept car to the upcoming Focus Electric (with nice mobile app integration) and 2013 Ford Fusion, Ford has a strong showing (which is impressive, when you consider that the Detroit Android Central @ CES Auto Show is also this week). In addition to the mobile integration going with the Focus Electric, Ford's moving forward full stream with their in-car infotainment system Sync. Powered by Microsoft's Windows Embedded Automotive operating system, Sync has been leading the in-car media game for a few years now, and the latest version naturally kicks things up another notch. Sync integrates with BlackBerry, iPhone, and Android devices, allowing a driver to control apps on the device with a combination of voice commands, steering wheel controls, and the center stack and touchscreen.

Whether or not it works is another issue... :)

CLICK ME

^What copter said^

Whether or not it works is another issue... :)

CLICK ME

Nice link - except that we still don't have Applink on the 2011+ Explorers (or any MFT equipped vehicle for that matter). It's nice they are expanding it to Asia. Now how about expanding it to upscale vehicles in the US Ford?

now we just need ap link in the EX :p

It's just a hook / trigger to the iPhone... not even remotely close to what MFT is. For those of us with out iPhones it's useless. To be perfectly honest, if it was a fully integrated system I'd look elsewhere anyway. I am by no means a fan of "i" anything. This coming from a reformed Apple user.

Siri does the same things as MFT with voice commands to play music, get directions, check the weather, read text messages, make phone calls, plus more.

It sounds like you're one of those Apple haters.

All promising to be on-board in 12 months: BMW, Land Rover, Mercedes, Jaguar, Audi, Toyota, Chrysler, Honda, and even freaking GM! - Oh, but not Ford. Ford's MyTouchFailure is too good for Apple. UGH!

http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/11/apple-siri-eyes-free/

Since it was just announced to day, I have hope Ford will be added to the list of automakers on board. A future software update would be able to add Siri to MFT. I hope that does happen one day.

Siri does the same things as MFT with voice commands to play music, get directions, check the weather, read text messages, make phone calls, plus more.

It sounds like you're one of those Apple haters.

Yes, I'm well aware what Siri is / does. Thanks though!

One of them there Apple haters? Nahhh just an escapee from the Apple cult of personality. Once you leave the Apple sandbox, you realize there's a much bigger playground to explore... no pun intended.

BTW my WP7 HTC Arrive does all that with MFT anyway. A button on a steering wheel that does nothing but activate a phone feature is hardly groundbreaking. MFT is way more than that, and it's not tied to a single platform.

In any case my daily technology revolves around brands such as Rockwell - Collins, Honeywell, Garmin, Avidyne. I have no need for "i" devices.

Sorry, buddy, didn't mean to insult your girlfriend. :D I'm sure you're happy together.

Yes, I'm well aware what Siri is / does. Thanks though!

One of them there Apple haters? Nahhh just an escapee from the Apple cult of personality. Once you leave the Apple sandbox, you realize there's a much bigger playground to explore... no pun intended.

BTW my WP7 HTC Arrive does all that with MFT anyway. A button on a steering wheel that does nothing but activate a phone feature is hardly groundbreaking. MFT is way more than that, and it's not tied to a single platform.

In any case my daily technology revolves around brands such as Rockwell - Collins, Honeywell, Garmin, Avidyne. I have no need for "i" devices.

Sorry, buddy, didn't mean to insult your girlfriend. :D I'm sure you're happy together.

I don't understand why people think others who like Apple products are some type of cult or what others like to call iSheep. I personally think it's ridiculous. I'm sure you disagree, but Apple makes great products and that's why I buy Apple products.

You don't even know how Siri is going to be integrated into cars so you have no basis to claim it's just a button on the steering wheel. I'm sure it's just going to be added to what's currently in the supported auto brands voice activated systems that are similar to MFT.

Those companies you listed are completely different compared to the products Apple makes.

Your last childish comment doesn't deserve a response.

And here's the answer...

From Autoblog "Conspicuously missing from the list of on-board automakers is Ford, whose Sync infotainment systems are all based on Microsoft-branded technology. "

Sync was the #1 reason I purchased my first Ford. MFT is the #1 reason why this Explorer will be my last one.

I don't understand why people think others who like Apple products are some type of cult or what others like to call iSheep. I personally think it's ridiculous. I'm sure you disagree, but Apple makes great products and that's why I buy Apple products.

You don't even know how Siri is going to be integrated into cars so you have no basis to claim it's just a button on the steering wheel. I'm sure it's just going to be added to what's currently in the supported auto brands voice activated systems that are similar to MFT.

Those companies you listed are completely different compared to the products Apple makes.

Your last childish comment doesn't deserve a response.

See here's the thing... it's not so much the devices... yeah they are slick closed platform devices. If you like playing in your own universe / sandbox... hey, more power to ya'.

IT IS the fact that Apple users tend to be insufferable dolts that seem to take offence if there is someone within a 100 yards of themselves that doesn't agree that the "i" whatever is the best thing ever invented. It's usually manifested in a "you must be one of those Apple hater" quips.

FYI.. I've probably been an Apple "user" since user before you were born.

If my "been there, done that" attitude towards your beloved Apple causes you heartburn... well, not so much I can do about it. You'll just have to get over it.

I never mentioned anything about iSheep :dunno:

I've also noticed a total lack of a sense of humor... "Siri... please help Boltsfan17 find his sense of humor". Lighten up ok? :wavey:

So you must be one of those Honeywell haters huh? :mattmoon: :D

See here's the thing... it's not so much the devices... yeah they are slick closed platform devices. If you like playing in your own universe / sandbox... hey, more power to ya'.

IT IS the fact that Apple users tend to be insufferable dolts that seem to take offence if there is someone within a 100 yards of themselves that doesn't agree that the "i" whatever is the best thing ever invented. It's usually manifested in a "you must be one of those Apple hater" quips.

FYI.. I've probably been an Apple "user" since user before you were born.

If my "been there, done that" attitude towards your beloved Apple causes you heartburn... well, not so much I can do about it. You'll just have to get over it.

I never mentioned anything about iSheep :dunno:

I've also noticed a total lack of a sense of humor... "Siri... please help Boltsfan17 find his sense of humor". Lighten up ok? :wavey:

So you must be one of those Honeywell haters huh? :mattmoon: :D

Why do you think the Apple platform is so closed? When it comes to Apps, I actually prefer how Apple has to accept Apps before they are on the App Store compared to Android. There is so much malware out there on the Android App store. By the way, I'm not saying one is better then the other, I just prefer iOS over Android. And yes, I do have a Samsung phone and an iPhone so I have experienced both OS. Not having Flash on iOS devices has never been an issue for me. And now, that doesn't matter since Flash is no longer supported. HTML5 is the future.

I'm not taking offense. I honestly could care less if someone doesn't like Apple products. Life is too short to worry about petty crap like that. I just got the sense that you sounded like an Apple hater. Maybe I was wrong.

I had an Apple computer when I was a kid back in the 80's. After that, I just used PC's until I made the switch to a Mac about 5 years ago. Thanks for giving me a heartburn. The least you could do is offer me some Tums <g>

Actually, I do have a sense of humor. It's just been one of those days. I sure do hate Mondays.

Yes, I am one of those Honeywell haters. That's why I bought one of those Nest Learning Thermostats from the Apple store <g>

Why do you think the Apple platform is so closed? When it comes to Apps, I actually prefer how Apple has to accept Apps before they are on the App Store compared to Android. There is so much malware out there on the Android App store. By the way, I'm not saying one is better then the other, I just prefer iOS over Android. And yes, I do have a Samsung phone and an iPhone so I have experienced both OS. Not having Flash on iOS devices has never been an issue for me. And now, that doesn't matter since Flash is no longer supported. HTML5 is the future.

I'm not taking offense. I honestly could care less if someone doesn't like Apple products. Life is too short to worry about petty crap like that. I just got the sense that you sounded like an Apple hater. Maybe I was wrong.

I had an Apple computer when I was a kid back in the 80's. After that, I just used PC's until I made the switch to a Mac about 5 years ago. Thanks for giving me a heartburn. The least you could do is offer me some Tums <g>

Actually, I do have a sense of humor. It's just been one of those days. I sure do hate Mondays.

Yes, I am one of those Honeywell haters. That's why I bought one of those Nest Learning Thermostats from the Apple store <g>

See.. that's better! :) :chug: Different strokes for different folks!

and here's the answer...

From autoblog "conspicuously missing from the list of on-board automakers is ford, whose sync infotainment systems are all based on microsoft-branded technology. "

sync was the #1 reason i purchased my first ford. Mft is the #1 reason why this explorer will be my last one.

+1

At the risk of a thread HiJack just thought I would drop a few facts as apposed to hearsay and opinion.

When Ford released MFT the marketing plan likely was to appeal to the largest demographic of technical users as apposed to the average techno peasant

That should have included Apple devices regardless if you love them or hate them.

365 million iOS devices sold and more than 80% of those customers are running iOS 5. Hear that, Android lovers?

Hang on, I have to have another glass of Apple Koolaid......mmmmm good!

Only 7% of customers are running the latest version of Android. That is what I'll never "get" about Android.

So why not integrate 100% with the most popular device/mobile OS?

at the risk of a thread hijack just thought i would drop a few facts as apposed to hearsay and opinion.

When ford released mft the marketing plan likely was to appeal to the largest demographic of technical users as apposed to the average techno peasant

that should have included apple devices regardless if you love them or hate them.

365 million ios devices sold and more than 80% of those customers are running ios 5. Hear that, android lovers?

Hang on, i have to have another glass of apple koolaid......mmmmm good!

Only 7% of customers are running the latest version of android. That is what i'll never "get" about android.

So why not integrate 100% with the most popular device/mobile os?

+1

And here's the answer...

From Autoblog "Conspicuously missing from the list of on-board automakers is Ford, whose Sync infotainment systems are all based on Microsoft-branded technology. "

Sync was the #1 reason I purchased my first Ford. MFT is the #1 reason why this Explorer will be my last one.

Here is an interesting article. There are responses from Ford in the comments below the article.

http://gigaom.com/apple/ford-versus-apple-siri-versus-sync-over-connected-car/

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thats a very good article, I added my rebuttal in the comments.

Back